Cold Water Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Metro, May 30, 2012.

1. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hi JoAnna, I meant made a difference with or without the menthol, using the same product (for example the splash) for a few days with the M bomb, and a few days without.

I don't think it'll change much since I doubt that's the cause of the problem. But I like to have the option of having menthol or not in my splash on a given day - you know, coldest winters ever here in Canada! ;)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    So.....you are looking at menthol being a possible cause of irritation?

Something I have witnessed over the years; some folks have irritation from mass produced menthol products, but not from my menthol products. (This may be true for other cottage industry soapmakers menthol products too, but I don't know. I'm sure my menthol crystals are the same as the other soapmakers. So, nothing special.)

It makes me wonder, and I have no clue if it is true or not, but perhaps large corporations are using some type of chemically derived menthol. Or some other ingredient they use intensifies the menthol effect too much for some folks.

Just some theories anyway. <shrug>

Please keep us posted on how things are working out for you.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That could be it - my wife for instance really cannot use any off the shelf mentholated stuff, if I remember correctly Palmolive Menthol ended up making her look like she showered in VX but her adding M-Bomb to any of the soaps we have without larger scale corporation menthol works just fine for her and is very comfortable.

Makes me scratch my head a bit.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  4. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Sure thing! For now I think it was a combination of poor technique, alcohol + menthol + over exfoliation that caused irritation. I'm trying to change one thing at a time (and trying this cold water shave thing!) but I doubt menthol alone caused it.

Looking forward to receiving my first TSD order! But that'll be after we return from our little vacation. Then I'll look at which scent to get for my next one.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

My old facial cleanser has menthol in it and I changed it recently noticing an improvement, so that could've been it!

GDCarrington and Queen of Blades like this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Yeah, I've seen it a few times. Quite a few folks post that they are allergic or have skin reactions to menthol because so and so big brand name product X caused issues. If they aren't too scared off, upon sampling cottage industry menthol products, the experience is more pleasant for a good majority of them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Rather than "changing one thing at a time", may I suggest "reducing to bare minimums"? If you start at the simplest bare bones set-up, establish your technique, and then add one thing at a time, you may find it easier to pinpoint possible irritants.

I like to recommend starting this wetshaving adventure with the brush and soap/cream, mastering that, and then moving onto your razor of choice (SE/DE/Straight).

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with all this. I've been cold water shaving for a few months, but tonight I added the ice cube in water in a bowl idea. I let my brush soak in the water. I rinse my face each time with the ice water and then proceeded to shave for the first time with a straight razor.

I didn't do great with the straight and had to finish with my Weber, but my face felt terrific. I think I got the closest shave ever. Ice is nice.

Azarius likes this.
  9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

This morning was take 2 for CWS. It was fantastic! I got a DFS doing only 2 passes WTG, ATG plus a few touch-ups on the jawline. My irritation has almost completely disappeared and I think my neck can withstand a 3-pass shave next time no problem. That's it I'm sold! I can't wait for tomorrow to (cold water) shave again.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

What a go! The ice water was an even better experience for me.

11. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time to break out the liquid nitrogen! ;)

burnout961, J.S. Desmarais and tomnat like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

The ice was your idea. There's got to be another step before the liquid nitrogen, though. Maybe shaving in the freezer section of your local grocery.

13. Neolithium

Dry ice? ;)

burnout961 likes this.
  14. lindyhopper66

You could pull off the whiskers and skin just with the dry ice.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Shaving outside in the winter while vacationing in the Arctic Circle!

16. Neolithium

Bose-Einstein condensate as a preshave? ;)
    Warning: May cause skin irritation or death. Do not seriously use any substance that is close to absolute zero on exposed skin.

17. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

September will be two years I have been a CWS, with the exception of a couple days I used hot water just to see if it made a difference. It simply works for me. I've found that it's really a simple process of getting a little moisture into the whiskers and that raising the temperature of the skin does nothing to make the shave easier or better. A few splashes of cold water and letting the lather set on my face for two minutes or so is all the prep I need.

J.S. Desmarais and lindyhopper66 like this.
  18. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

The ice is nice isn't it? I only use the ice water to soak my brush and build the lather, but it really feels great on the face.

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Take 3 on CWS this evening and I still love it. However today I did like 4 passes (more like 3 plus massive touch-ups in trouble areas) and I did get some irritation but not much. It's also my 4th shave on this blade but I know I did go a little rough on my neck a couple times and that's most likely the cause. I found the cold water was really forgiving as I only got a few red spots. Aside from this anomaly, the shave was comfortable and I got BBS. Never been smoother! Now I'll go faceturbate while watching TV!

PS: After the alum, I switched the splash for just WH and found it much less soothing (you know, after the initial tingles of an alcohol-based splash) followed by a moisturizer. I feel like I still need to apply that splash! Anyone else ever get that feeling?

20. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

I have tried a CWS several times, and have always enjoyed them. Today, I tried a CWS using my brother's method, let my brush soak in ice water while showering.

Today's shaving gear was a Fatip with a iKon Bulldog handle, loaded with a Astra SP. Brush was a Vintage Caswell-Massey Boar loaded with a superlather of Arko and AoS sandalwood. Post shave was Alum, followed by Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel. BBS was achieved in three passes with some light buffing in problem areas.

Shave was exceptional, and I found the CWS to be refreshing and irritation free. Will try Ice water CWS again!!

J.S. Desmarais likes this.