Shell Fish Ceviche

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Bluesbishop, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Shell Fish Ceviche

Ingredients:

1lb of mussels ( I use farm rasied which don't need to be "debeared")

1 lb of bay scallops ( You can use large scallops and cut, but why?? Bay scallops cost less!)

1 lb of pink shrimp

1/2 lb of white fish ( cod, haddock, tilapia..your choice, personally, I'm not a fan of tilapia ...a dirty, dirty fish...nasty!) cut into small pieces

4 limes, juiced

4 lemons juiced

1 large honeybell tangelo* ( see note below)

2 scallions, sliced medium thin, including greens

1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced thin

1 medium red bell pepper, petite diced

1/2 cup of grape tomatoes, sliced in half

1 mango, diced

1 tablespoon of Old Bay Garlic and herb

5-6 sprigs of cilantro to taste

salt and pepper to taste

*if you can not find a honeybell tangelo ( they are ONLY in season for a month or so and I believe exclusive to Florida) Use the juice of one medium sweet orange and 1 tangerine)

In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil, salt moderately ( When cooking shellfish, I salt to "Ocean water" )

Cook mussels 3-4 minutes till they open and put in ice bath. In same water, add old bay and add shrimp, cook 1-2 minutes till pink and remove and add to ice water bath. Clean shrimp, remove shells, legs. Remove mussels from shells. In a large glass bowl, add mussels, shrimp, bay scallops, fish. Salt everything and let stand for a few minutes. Juice all of the citrus, I recommend throwing the citrus in the microwave for 10-15 each to allow maximum juicing. Add citrus juice to seafood, add scallions, onion, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and mango. Pepper to taste. mix all ingredients with hands. all seafood should be completely covered in citrus juice!! If not, try a different bowl, or add more citrus juice ( use in same proportions). Cover bowl in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours, ( You can make this over night, even better!)

Serve in Martini glasses and enjoy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GDCarrington and richgem like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wow, that does look pretty. And I'm a sucker for anything with cilantro in it. Tho, not a fan of scallops.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ken, you are increasing the drool factor around here showing stuff like that!

Looks good! :bounce017: :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

4. Bluesbishop

Well, the nice thing about Ceviche, is that you can use whatever fish and sea food you like.....these are all thing I like...we have a large south american population in Florida and I have tried various cultures Ceviche....and I love them all! Mine is based upon one that I had at Fort Myers Beach when I lived in that area at a place called "Doc's"....loved it and the next day made this dish for my food blog.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For those who want to know (namely me) what is the address of said blog? :eatdrink020:

6. Bluesbishop

My food blog is Top Chef Amateurs it hasn't been updated in over a year.....went through a BAD divorce so no time to write and post pics....but I am still crazy about cooking...when life settles down some, hope to continue and even write a cook book...as I love to cook.

GDCarrington likes this.