Ken's Famous Chili

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Bluesbishop, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Ok...this recipe is for GD who made it clear that he was a BIG fan of chili. There are more chili recipes out there than there are Texans who make it! I have made several recipes of chili besides this one, my own variation of several "traditonal" recipes, but this one always gets great feedback from friends, family co-workers. This recipe used ground chuck...BUT you can use cubed sirloin or boneless beef chuck pot roast if you prefer cubed meat piece ( I prefer cubed steak...but my daughter preferred it with ground chuck)

Sorry...no pics I could find on my SD card for this one...

Ken's Famous Chili

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 pounds ground beef chuck (or boneless beef chuck pot roast)
    2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy
    sauce
    1 (15 ounce) can Kidney beans, drained
    2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with
    juice
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 large yellow onion, chopped ( use a sweet onion)
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 green chile peppers, seeded and
    chopped ( I like mild jalapenos)
    1 (15 ounce ) can of water
    1 (28 ounce) can of tomato sauce or puree
    30 ounces of beef broth( fill up your used bean cans twice)
    1 cup dark beer ( Guinness)
    1/3 cup chili powder ( add more or less to taste...I use more)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2-4 teaspoons ground cumin to taste ( I use lots of cumin...!!)
    2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( or red chili pepper flakes) Use to taste...more or less for extra heat
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2-3 tablespoons of corm meal

DIRECTIONS:
    1.Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and cook until evenly browned. Add 1/2 of chili powder as it browns to season meat. Drain off excess fat. Add the onion, and cook to they start going translucent.
    2.Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add the green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, beef broth,water and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika. Stir to blend, then simmer over low heat for at least 2 -3hours, stirring occasionally. Add corn meal to thicken if needed ( I think it improves flavor too)
    3.After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. Many times I use alot more chili powder...depends on brand. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
    4. serve with shredded cheese, sour cream,chopped onion, and hot peppers if desired.

MUST SERVE WITH CORNBREAD!! ( it's a rule.... Texan's have been known to shoot you over this simple fact! )

cubancigar2000, KLF and GDCarrington like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :happy088:

3. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Ok GD...being a Texan...do you prefer cubed pieces of steak or ground meat in your chili??

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Steak! In fact your posting prompted me to get some of my homemade chili out of the freezer and have at it.

What I do with the steak is I cut it into small cubes and let it break down in lemon juice in a sealed container with some dried red peppers a day in the refrigerator. After a day of the meat tenderizing in the fridge, I put it in the crock pot to slow cook for about a total of 10 hours with a couple of cans of beef broth, two beef bouillon cubes and a broth can worth of water to start.

At about 2 hours in to the cooking, I add in the other ingredients such as onions, chili powder, chopped bell peppers, minced garlic, spices, Worcestershire and Soy sauces along with some of the Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes along with a fresh tomato. I also boil a pound of hot pork sausage and pour off the water to reduce the fat from it. That goes in the mix at 2 hours in to the process as well. Seven hours passes and I usually skim off some remaining fat, then with about an hour to go I add about 1/4 of a cup of flour mixed in with cold water to bulk up the sauce.

Beans, cornbread, crackers and cheddar cheese are on the side waiting at the evening meal time.

After a days or two I will place the remainder in sealed bags for freezing to have later on, like today.

Azarius and KLF like this.
  5. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I need to adapt and try these recipes. I guess they go better in winter, I'll keep an eye on this thread.