Benefits of multiple passes?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Matt F, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Other than getting that bbs shave, are there any benefits for more than one pass?

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Rather than assuming you can get every whisker with a one-direction pass, multiple passes from varying directions increases your chances of getting at whiskers that may be oriented at opposing angles. I was frustrated early on—a natural response—when I found stray whiskers following a pass. Go home, whiskers! Are you too good for your home?! Then I realized that no two whiskers are identical. Each has its own personality. Some stare longingly at my nose. Others gaze dreamily at my ears. Some are skinny and shy. Others are bold and in your face (haha...ha), lying gorged and drunken off sebaceous sodas. In short, my whiskers are not so synchronized that they would be welcome during the Beijing Olympics opening ceremonies. Multiple passes allows me to humbly comply with their selfish, Machiavellian demands.

Knowing that I'm going to get another pass in just a minute also prevents me from stressing out and applying too much pressure to the razor/blade. Razors have extremely sensitive feelings, and any degree of induced pressure paralyzes them and shatters their self-confidence. And my blood vessels.

dougkc, Matt F, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

A closer shave. 1 pass may look decent but will not feel comfortable. I for one still like some Quality Time with the Mrs. :D

KLF likes this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I enjoy shaving. More than 1 pass means more shaving time!

macaronus, alpla444 and newb like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D. All of the above

alpla444 likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When shaving with a DE, the goal is beard reduction, not "I got it all in one go!"

Multiple passes get all the hairs and give you a close shave. When using a five bladed cartridge, you get the equivalent of a five pass shave with one application of shaving cream. That's why you get a close shave and loads of irritation. Imagine putting on shaving cream, making one pass with a DE, and then, without putting more shaving cream on, you make four more passes.

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I find multiple passes tend to offer a closer shave that will also last longer than a single pass. The principle of gradual beard reduction ultimately being the most efficient and gentle approach to the beard reduction process...

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The most critical thing is that the first pass should be cutting whiskers gently and not contacting your skin, because if you become too aggressive with the first pass, your blade can tug slightly causing nicks and weepers. Once you have completed the first pass with no pressure, the second pass can be used to get close to the skin and subsequent passes are used to clean up or continue to get closer.

The reality is that you are cutting whiskers and not trying to cut your skin. That is the most critical reason for multi-pass shaving in my opinion.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Takes me 2 passes to even "pass" for respectable - and that shave would only last 1/2 of a day! 3 with touchup for a good every day shave here!

10. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Ok thanks guys. I had my first DE shave last night but I hadn't shaved for like 5 days so it was a bit of a fail. Had real trouble finding the right angle (merkur hd). Anyone got any tips? Already watched a lot of youtube vids.

11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Try playing with the angle. After I read a lot and saw videos, I went with the standard 30-degree angle. The problem was that I couldn't get a decent shave no matter how many passes I did. I started playing with the angles, and it turns out that an almost 90-degree angle(maybe 70-80), almost perpendicular, is the best that works for me and my EJ DE89 razor. And now I get that BBS with no trouble at all.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Since you're not going to be putting a protractor up to your face, the only way to find the right angle is to take KLF's advice - just play 'til you find what works best for you. Don't get frustrated. It make take a week or two before you find the sweet spot, but you'll get it! Just hang in there :happy088:

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As mentioned just play around with the angle, No pressure let the razor do the work (its a well weighted razor, and also the first DE I owned) when you get a good angle lock the wrist so you can maintain the angle, it does take time, and the against the grain pass is quite hard to get the angle when your new or it was for me. And bear in mind not every one can shave against the grain.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sorry. I couldn't let this go unrecognized. Well played Sir!

[​IMG]

I think it is all about faceturbation. Many of us can pull off a one pass shave and be presentable (sorry about your luck Jeraldgordon, at least you get to legitimately shave more ;)) but when I do a one pass shave I know that it could be better. When I faceturbate after a shave is when I tell how good the shave was. I stopped judging my shave at the sink about a year and a half ago. I only do two passes 90% of the time still but my technique has improved to where I can get away with it, also, using the R-41 helps. It is just a matter of time and you'll get to the point where you can take shortcuts and refine your shave to where you get really good results with only a few passes but early on, you need the extra passes to help you learn. Give it a month or so and you'll improve.

No pressure! I mean that literally, not figuratively.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Steve, you've really got a way with words! I really enjoy these kind of posts of yours! Thanx!

PLANofMAN, KLF and Matt F like this.
  16. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

By the time I finish with the third pass I am dry from my shower, don't have to bother with the towel.;)

ajdhn and KLF like this.
  17. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

What should you do with your razor and blade following the shave? Just rinse under water?

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If it is a TTO open it part way and rinse under water. three piece just gets the rinse. both get a careful pat down with a dry towel.

Some members rinse the razor then dip it in rubbing alcohol. The alcohol displaces the water, and quickly evaporates. Others use a quick barbacide dip to do the same thing and sterilize the razor at the same time. One of my buddies goes so far as to remove the blade, dry it, and replace it in the original wrapper. I think that is a bit OCD myself, but YMMV...

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Regardless of type, I just rinse, shake, stow. No pat down or dip in anything. When it gets grungy, hit it with some scrubbing bubbles.

Matt F likes this.
  20. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Me too, and I do the same with my razor.;)

Matt F, ajdhn and PLANofMAN like this.