TSD forums go mobile

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I've added a custom mobile style for the forum. Tapatalk is still an option, but for those of you that would like to have another option, it's now available.

I'm still working out some style issues with it and our home page, but regardless, I think you'll like it :)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't use a mobile to visit the forum, but I know others do. Thank you for your hard work, Sparky.

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

The look was completely different from this "hardwood floors" theme I am used to.

Very up to date but on my Droid X, the screen couldn't be pinched or pulled. I will keep playing around with it to see if I missed anything.

The mobile site is definitely in color now ... Red, White, and Blue! ;)

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    hmmm.......no problem here getting the mobile site to zoom in.

I have a different phone, though. I think. If it matters.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

woo hoo ... off to test it.

And thanks for finishing the personalizing on the "default" theme.

6. richgem

Penguin approved, Sparky! Nice job. Pinch and zoom work under android with both opera and dolphin browsers.

7. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Very nice—works great on my Android. I did not have Tapatalk, so I wouldn't typically visit the forum while on my mobile device. Now I can be here 24/7!

Run for your lives.

macaronus likes this.
  8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Great job Sparky! It looks so much better than Tapatalk! Yesterday when I tried it out I kept getting the Tapatalk prompts (to take me to Google play) but this morning there is nothing! :) Everything works as it should from what I can tell, and I will do my SOS post from it this morning to see how it goes. (I primarily use Tapatalk..so this is exciting!)

9. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Sparky,

Looks good on my Windows phone. This is so much better than the Tapatalk experience experience for me. Now I can see the pictures!

I don't mind the plain, flat, white style. I had already switched to the default style for my mobile browser.

Thanks!

10. sparky5693

Administrator
    I haven't decided, I may make some minor color changes, but my real goal here is a lean, fast, experience.

wlmcad, IAmTheJody and Smott like this.
  11. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Blackberry?:(

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Good goal. That's how a mobile version should be as not everyone is on an all-you-can-eat data plan. Looks good and works great on my Sony Xperia Pro phone running Android 4.0

Of course Tapatalk works great too for me. No issues with it. But an actual mobile site does wonders for non-Android and non-iPhone owners that Tapatalk doesn't develop for such as Windows Mobile, Nokia Belle, etc.

13. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

First off, very nice job implemeting the code for mobile users. I know on my iOS and Android phones I actually prefer to see a site in mobile form.

At home, I use my iPad2 almost exclusively to browse. I am one of those in the minority that like a full blown web experience compared to a slimed down mobile version on a tablet.

That being said, could you add the code to give mobile users the choice between desktop and mobile mode? Right now I am using Dolphin which gives me the option of forcing desktop mode over mobile, but Dolphin is buggy, so I always return to Safari.

I can send you the snippet of code that I use to force any browser to use the full blown site if you would like.

Again nice job, and thanks for the hard work.

14. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I noticed this morning when I checked the site, thanks! It's looking great!

15. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Shawna, I tested this out on my Droid X and it worked for me. I'm using the Dolphin browser.

16. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Not bad at all on my iPhone. I'd still like to see it look a little more refined, but overall it's great. I'll certainly be more willing to surf the Den from my phone now than I was before. Thanks Sparky!

17. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Is there a way to attach images in the mobile site? I went to post my shave but couldn't find a way to post the image. I am using the stock browser.

18. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Thanks for the change to the code, it looks great on the iPad in vintage view.

19. richgem

We need some traveling music ....

americanshamrock likes this.
  20. sparky5693

Administrator
    Now possible on MOST mobile browsers. Click the "Upload a file" button, and a new box will open where you can choose your file. After choosing, it will immediately begin the upload. Once complete, the box will self close, and you'll notice the normal option at the bottom for thumbnail or full image.

Be aware that uploading a large attachment from a mobile could take a bit longer than from a normal computer.