H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 14, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I saw a clear handled version of the H.I.M. brush on the fmt website that you provided a link to. Any idea on where to find that, GD?

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

You mean the one at the bottom of their catalog page? LINK

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They are using the black model as an introduction through Amazon.
    I have not received any word from the company on a pearl or white brush plans.

I might have to contact them after I take care of some things next week.

4. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Thanks, for the review. I have been thinking about what brush to start with and since I have been moving away from animal products where the animal is harmed in the making, this looks like a great alternative. It would be awesome if you also put the review on Amazon to help people there.

5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

you could also look in to using a Horse Hair brush.

6. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

I don't know horses kind of creap me out. ;) I would actually be okay if people started eating more horse meat.

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Vie Long supposedly doesn't harm the horses. They get the hair from grooming them.

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've been using a couple of Horse Hair brushes for the past several weeks and really don't miss my badgers at the moment. They perform well, feel nice and as lindyhopper66 noted, the horse is not harmed.

newb likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

10. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Ordered this brush, now all I need is some aftershave product and I should have a good setup.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Make sure you have a large mug to generate lather. You will know when you see it.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Ok, I got the clear handle HIS. I've got to say so far I'm totally blown away.. I really thought the Frank's synth was an awesome brush. But after comparing the 2 , it's not even the same league. The franks synth reminded me of the Frank's finest. (Both very awesome brushes) This HIS is as soft as my softest silvertips, But this thing has awesome backbone. It's has quickly become my goto. Honestly if I was only to have 1 brush, this may very well be it. I've been a real big horse hair fan in the past, but this brush IMHO offers the Best of Boar , Horse, and Badger. It has the Backbone of a good boar. It has the softness of silvertip. It retains water like a horse does, not by absorbing it (like boar or badger) but by holding it on the outside of the hair. My only complaint is the knot is too big. I'd like to see it in a 24mm.

Tdmsu and GDCarrington like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, now you see why I call it The Lather Monster!

I have discussed a potential 24 - 25 mm knot which in my mind is the lowest end of the sweet spot for lather and backbone with the company. We will see if that comes to pass, but it has been mentioned.

Enjoy that brush!

14. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Both the black and clear handled brushes are marked as "Currently Unavailable" on Amazon. Any idea when they might be in stock again?

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

H.I.S black handle shaving brush will be available on Amazon.com (US) next week.

H.I.S clear handle shaving brush will be available on Amazon.com (US) shortly after July 4th.

The rate of interest in the shaving brush honestly took Artistbrushstrokes.com by surprise. However, they have adjusted and have stated that they will ensure available inventory levels globally in the coming weeks.

16. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

You should look into the Muhle synthetics. They make a 19, 21, 23, & 25mm knots. I have the 21mm in both Silvertip and Black Fibre.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    :rolleyes: Gee, I wonder who singlehandedly spread the word about how great this brush is across most of the shaving forums?
    You should wait the 2 weeks for the H.I.S. brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

True, they are still ramping up on the clear handle production.

I agree, wait for the H.I.S.

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm really glad I showed an interest in the clear handle, it got them into the U.S. and possibly paved the way for other handle types. Any word on that, Gary?

20. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Why should he wait for the H.I.S. if he wants a smaller knot? He already has the H.I.S. anyway and I think they only make one sized knot. Did y'all read his post? I understand your fanboyism for the H.I.S., but he specifically mentioned that he wanted a smaller knot which is why I suggested the Muhle. :shocked002: