TSD forums go mobile

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Jun 24, 2012.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I access the site from an Android tablet and it takes me automatically to the new mobile style. How do I go back to the vintage woody style ? I tried to choose the vintage style but all 3 styles(default, vintage, mobile) look the same, some white blue,gray...I want my full blown site with vintage style back :)

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I have disabled auto mobile detection until I can find a more elegant solution. It appears android tablets identify them the same as android phones. The mobile style can still be manually selected, by clicking on the link at the bottom left of every page. The name of the link will vary depending on your currently selected style.

selector.png

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

IMO, I think it should be the other way around. The reason for a mobile site is for mobile phones first and foremost. If someone visits from a tablet and it reads their tablet as mobile/Android, they should be the ones to have to change their style if they don't like the mobile theme - rather than on my first visit on my phone I have to suck down huge data and longer load time under the vintage theme before I can then change to the mobile theme.

richgem likes this.
  4. sparky5693

Administrator
    Unfortunately, if your device has been auto detected as a mobile, you don't have the ability to change to another style. Effectively, all other style options are locked out.

This is the only way that I have to allow any choice in the matter, although I will be actively looking for a better solution. I greatly prefer the mobile style automatically detected, but I just don't think it's fair to force everyone with a tablet to use it as well.

5. IAmTheJody

That must be a phone specific thing then because when I accessed the site from my Sony Xperia Pro/Android 4.0 phone, I had the option of choosing themes. It was at the very bottom of the page.

6. sparky5693

Administrator
    Assuming your phone is auto detected in the first place....You have the option to choose, but everything defaults back to mobile (no matter your choice). If you feel like testing, I can set it back the way it was.

7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Of the 3 shaving forums I frequent, TSD was my least favorite to read on my phone because of the difficult layout (on my phone anyway). Now with this new mobile layout, it's by far my favorite. I love it!

8. IAmTheJody

I just loaded TSD on my phone. It loaded the mobile theme. I went to the very bottom and clicked on the linked word 'Mobile'. It then have me 3 theme options: Default, Vintage and Mobile. I chose Vintage and it loaded Vintage fully.

I then fully stopped the browser so it wasn't running in cache.

I then launched it again and went to TSD. It loaded the Vintage theme which I had chosen in my last session. So it's not defaulting back to the Mobile theme... for me anyway. It seems to work fine for me as far as being able to change themes and when I come back, retaining the same theme I was using previously.

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Very nice Sparky, Have had no problems running it on my HTC android, a very different look from the one we are used to, but quite a refreshing change!!!
    Thanks for all your hard work.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You and sparky seem to be talking in circles.

The way sparky has it set up now, if I'm understanding correctly, you currently have the option of skins and the forum will remember between visits.
    The way it was previously it defaulted to mobile and there was no choice of skins.

Anyway, y'all are making my head spin. :shocked029:

11. IAmTheJody

Sorry. lol He said if I feel like testing... so I did.

12. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Test, he must! :yoda2

wlmcad likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

I forgot to mention. Very odd thing. After I did that test... when I loaded TSD on my home PC, the test on my phone had also changed the theme I've been using on my PC from Default to Mobile.

14. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

So it must be tied in with the user account?

15. Queen of Blades

Actually, he said if you felt like testing he could set it back. Unless y'all spoke privately, you didn't tell him to set it back so you could test. So you were only testing what he has in place currently. <- That I'm pretty sure of because I tested it before he posted about changing it back for you to test and it did exactly as you just said, same skin on phone and PC.

16. Queen of Blades

Yes. Sparky turned off whatever it is that detects if a person is using a mobile device or not. So the skin option is tied to the user account, once your phone has established a connection between you and the website.

17. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Maybe I can tweak the browser on my table to be recognized as an "regular" PC browser. That will solve the problem, I guess.

18. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Just a couple of minor thoughts on the mobile version- some other forums that I visit with mobile versions have a link at the bottom of the page that takes you back to the top immediately. This is useful when you want to jump to a different link from the top, rather than having to scroll all of the way back up. It would be nice to get that added here, although not a big deal if it isn't/can't be done easily.

Also, when I click on a thread that I've read a portion of previously it seems to jump me to the last page with unread posts, but it does not take me directly to the last unread post like the full version does. Again, this is not a big deal to me, just something that I thought I'd point out. All in all, love having the mobile version!

19. sparky5693

Administrator
    Ill make another go at auto detection when I get off work tonight. Id really like to get this working for everyone.

20. Queen of Blades

Can't you fling the page up? My Android let's me fling or scroll.