PIF: Your chance to try a carbon DE shave

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by gorgo2, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you've never tried a carbon DE blade but are curious, here's your chance. I'll drop two minty sealed blades in the mail to you, free. You might get a Rexall, Pal, Adams, Blade Man or some other brand (oddly enough I'm not sure I have any Gillette carbons) but they all perform very similarly. Should you receive a blade that's not in its own wrapper, rest assured it just came out of a dispenser and is likewise guaranteed unused.

A few tips if you're interested in this offer:

You will find any carbon blade rougher and louder than stainless, but they still shave fine...after all, guys just like us used them for 40 years. It just takes a slightly different approach than you're used to.

Like many blades, carbons tend to smooth out with use before they get dull, so don't pitch a blade after one shave.

Dry blade thoroughly (towel dry or 99% alcohol dip).

Before the next shave, strop it 10x each edge on your pants leg or leather strop if you have one. You should find it noticeably smoother the 2nd time around.

PM me if interested. Very sorry but due to postage rates, CONUS only.

MoAllen likes this.
  2. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Never tried a carbon DE blade. Count me in on this one. Thanks

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

PM me your address...

4. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

Thanks Gorgo for the generous PIF.

5. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Very generous offer!

PM sent.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The audio feedback on the old carbons is quite surprising, almost as with SE blades. And agreed about stropping before use, tho I prefer the water glass method. ;)

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Nice PIF! Don't include me, but I'm curious if your Blade Man blades look like those in the photo below.

[​IMG]

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pass.
    Nice PIF, though!

9. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

I'm interested, PM Sent.

10. jmv61

jmv61 New Member

This is pretty cool, will send you a PM soon.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly like those. They're performed well, on the 2 shaves I think I've used them so far.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

While I've stropped a few right out of the box because they were unusually rough, I've found that if the edge is in pristine shape (as sealed blades usually are, 99% of the time), stropping is really only necessary after the first shave, sometimes after the second. Fresh ones are usually smooth enough...well, 'carbon smooth,' which - with rare exception - is not the same as 'stainless smooth.'

I've got carbon blade hones but I've not yet sat down and really experimented on how many shaves I can get from one blade by honing and stropping; someday I'll have to do that.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gentlemen,

As a sufferer of CAD, I have acquired more than a lifetime's abundance and variety of carbons. For that reason I'd like to leave this PIF open indefinitely, if that's all right with the mods.

I intend to get the requested blades in tomorrow's mail (I just found the box of small envelopes I was looking all over the house for). So, if you've requested blades but haven't gotten your address to me, do so at your convenience -- the offer's not going away any time soon, as far as I'm concerned.

All I ask in return is this: when you have had time to try your blades a few times, head on over to the Razor forum and give your honest opinions; positive, negative or meh. I know we'll find them very interesting reading. Thanks...

Queen of Blades, Smott and wlmcad like this.
  14. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

Thank you Gorgo!!!

15. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

Awesome gorgo!!!!

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Most welcome, gentlemen, most welcome. ;)

17. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I've heard of neverending PIFs, but not one-man, one-direction neverending PIFs. You're awesome, gorgo. [​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

very nice gesture Gorgo!!!

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Yes, interested. Pm address.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well it is an honor thing - one turn only per man (or woman, as the case may be). But it can run awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.