The road to victory. Fit to be fit.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 9, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've pretty much been a big person most of my life. From junior high school until present. Something clicked in me about 2.5 months ago. Not sure what but it just happened. I decided I wanted to get in better shape, eat healthier, etc.

I don't own a scale and you can't just run to Wal-mart and buy ones that would go up to my weight. So I stopped by a local doctor's office and asked to use their scale. They obliged.

402. Pounds.

That was enough for me.

2.5 months later, I've dropped 25 pounds. I've had to move up 3 holes in my belt. I can wear shirts now that I had to stop wearing either because they were too tight or because my belly hung below the hems.

I'm already feeling much better and sleeping better.

My goal is to cut my weight in half within 2 years time. That's 200 pounds - 100 pounds each year. At the end of that 2 years, I'll be 40. I plan on losing the weight and finally doing what I've always wanted to do: be a police officer. Work 25 years and retire at 65. Then sell the house, buy an RV and hit the road.

Follow me in my journey? :)

I'll use this picture as a starting point. It's a year old but still an accurate representation of me just 2.5 months ago. And for future pictures, I'll wear the same shirt.

MeAngleBeerMoney.jpg
    Just me and a few friends. You might know them. WWE/TNA wrestling superstar and real life Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle behind me. TNA World Tag-Team Champions (at the time) James Storm (left) and Bobby Roode (right).

ohpaos, macaronus, Zereoue20 and 12 others like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Jody, you have taken a positive step on a long & difficult journey, toward better health. As a fellow traveller on that road, I wish you success. I hope you will keep us informed.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

Thats great news Keep it up!!!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Jody,

[​IMG]

Well played sir!

Off to a great start with some clear but manageable goals and a purpose in doing it. All power to you mate, will certainly be praying for your sucess

sol92258, GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Jody, that's awesome news! Congratulations on taking a positive step. I'm sure you'll get inundated with advice, so let me be the first. ;)

Do this under medical supervision!
    Slow weight loss is the healthiest and most likely for you to keep the weight off. (ie: Don't look to drop a ton as fast as possible).
    Once you get into a healthier range, worry more about % body fat than what the scale says. (You want to lose fat, not muscle.)
    Don't give up! Keep positive.
    Cardio exercise and weightlifting and health eating are your friends.

Norseman, sol92258 and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

++++++++1

7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I salute you sir!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good on ya! The gradual approach is smart..you'll have the best chance for keeping off the weight that way. You can also add some easy exercise like regular walks to the regimen. If you already haven't, I'd also avoid the fast foods and junky snacks utterly. You have a good plan and if you have really made up your mind to do the weight reduction then you'll succeed.. it's that's simple. Anyways all the best of luck!.. Joe...

9. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Good Luck Jody!

:happy096:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088: etc., etc., etc.!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Awesome. I am a 100% believer in the fact that people can change. You can do this! Fight! And get as many people around you involved as possible. I'm excited to see your photos along the way. Let's do this!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've cut out red meat, pork, all fried foods, all fast food, dairy (I'm using almond milk, good stuff!), oil and sugar, the last two excepting of course natural sugar that a food may already naturally contain.

As for meats, right now I'm only eating fish (salmon fillets, salmon burgers) and all natural turkey burgers but am working my way to cutting out meats altogether and going plant based. If you've never heard of it, Google "Forks over Knives". That's what I'm doing and working my way to 100%. If you have Netflix, you really should watch the Forks Over Knives documentary. It doesn't come at you from the whole, and tired, "Meat is murder!!" angle. It shows you the science and studies done by these doctors... people having cancer and heart disease reversed and healed, etc. by changing to a plant based diet. I'm not going to get all preachy like so many anti-meat people do. I'm just telling you what I'm doing, what's working for me, to get healthy and lose weight.

Aside from that, I'm walking and jogging, following an exercise plan called 'Couch to 5K'. You can view it below by clicking on it:

CouchTo5K.jpg

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Congrats Jody on your weight loss and your decision to get fit.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Congratulations and good fortune on your quest!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I used the couch to 5k method to get going as well!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Congrats. You're off to a great start, and keep it up. :happy088:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Congrats Jody

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

just started myself, got my bike yesterday, when on my first 1-ish mile ride earlier (about to get on the Total Gym bike for a few more miles, since that seat won't violate me like the bike did :))

Too bad you don't live in Distraction ... or us there. Although I have to admit, cutting out meat entirely no where on my agenda - cutting down, yes.

Anyway, good on ya, I'll be rootin' for ya!

Conrad1959 and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I decided to change a little earlier than you, but I haven't regretted getting fit for a minute. I am about 6 pounds above what I initially set as a goal, but I've moved past caring about the number on the scale and care more about fitness level.

I know you can do this and we're all proud of you for what you've done and your commitment to keep going.

Conrad1959, sol92258 and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

i haven't been around much and then i come back to see this. good work jedi blade master. keep moving is all i know. it becomes so easy after it becomes your routine.

IAmTheJody likes this.