Slant or R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kenshomi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

I am looking to get more aggressive with my next purchase and am thinking about either a MERKUR slant or a R41. Any suggestions?

otacon and Llyr like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just shaved with my slant this morning, an easy, close shave. I've read many posts on several forums about the R41 and either you love it or hate. It is supposedly super aggressive and requires a very different shaving angle.

Llyr and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I get a very close, comfortable shave with my R41. I have yet to figure out my 37c, the head of the razor is so tall and blocky, its just weird. Might sell my 37c:(

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

R-41, hands down.

The slant, being a Merkur, is a fine razor but in comparing price for quality, the Muhle 2011 R-41 wins hands down in my book. The slant just turns into another aggressive razor after a bit, but the R-41 is a different. I really do enjoy it but it needs respect unlike any other DE. Learn it and you'll love it. But on the other hand, if you are looking for just another aggressive razor, go for the slant. For $30 shipped though, the R-41 is hard to beat.

Comparing the quality between the two though, I'd have to go with the Muhle. Merkur seems to have fallen asleep at the wheel with respect to quality.

Enjoy the selection process and please let us know which direction the wind blew you.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I thought about getting the R41 but Mantic's video changed my mind, he demonstrated that as battle.munky is saying " you have to respect it" and I don't want to go through the trouble of the attention you have to give it, I like simple shaves not involving complicated ones. I had a slant for years but found the shaves harsh over the long haul, but close . That may have not been the razor so much as my not shaving properly with it. My technique and prep are better so I may revisit the slant to see if it works better. The first 2 passes with a slant removes more stubble than any safety I have tried.

I have a coarse beard so I need measured aggression. I find my Gillette Old Type , short comb and long comb New and my Fatip razors on point, they are cutting the coarse beard with maximum ease and the most minimum harm to my face in irritation and nicks.YMMV

6. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

My vote for the R41

Llyr likes this.
  7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Do you like a blade that will flex? Go with the R41.

Do you like a stiff blade that slices? Go with the slant.

No flat presentation DE is good or me. Too much flex in the blade leads to a rough shave with TONS of weepers. Glass smooth in less passes? Absolutely! But for me the price was too steep.

The torque on the blade from a slant (aka torquer) completely changes the characteristics of the blade. Torquers are the only DE razor that works for me. All the others are passable at best while the R41 has been my least enjoyable yet still efficient shave ever.

So if you're just after the end result & don't care what torture you must go through to get there, then the R41 is the razor for you. However, if you want to actually enjoy the shaving process while still getting a great shave, then you'd be wise to pick the torquer (aka slant).

Llyr and Hanzo like this.
  8. R41 makes the slant feel and look like a gillette fusion...but, it is an animal . blade exposure is at its best... its like a futur setting at a 13, if it went that high

Llyr likes this.
  9. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with this. In the whole grand scheme of things, I'm still a noob when it comes to wet shaving. But the R41 like anything is a YMMV. I never felt tortured. The R41 is unforgiving, however if you realize that from the beginning, use no pressure and take your time you'll be fine. Its fairly easy to master.

Just my $.02.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't particularly care for either razor, but the only way to find out is to try them and see what you think.

My suggestion is a SE Gem OCMM.

11. SharpSpine

Obviously it's a YMMV thing. But the whole point of a forum is to give recommendations based on our PERSONAL experience. I think the YMMV thing has to be typed out way too often, it should be an understood concept. I'm glad you liked the R41, I'm just glad I didn't buy it and was able to try it thanks to a friend on another forum.

My all time favorite razor! After using a torquer for a week and going back to the OCMM I actually wonder why I spend anytime with a DE, torqued or standard.

Llyr likes this.
  12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I can't speak for either razor as I do not own them. However, My Gillette New (OC) and OCMM have given me all the aggressiveness I need, hence diminishing my desire to seek anything else, for now anyway.

Llyr likes this.
  13. angel is the same as a slant or just about any other de razor... just go easy with it and everything will come out excellent

Llyr likes this.
  14. SharpSpine

I've read that a lot of people find a unique angle is necessary for the R41. The zero angle (as in none) was the right angle for me. ;)

Llyr and Commander Shepard like this.
  15. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have both. Each gives a uniquely different shave. The one, i believe, that requires the most learning would be the R41.

Llyr likes this.
  16. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

I have a merkur 39c and a Muhle r41 on the way. This post made me want both! Currently have a futur, slim, super adjustable, fatboy, and a few injectors. I think i will enjoy both of these razors for years to come.

Llyr, Commander Shepard and DLreno like this.
  17. SharpSpine

I will look forward to hearing how you compare/contrast the Torquer and R41.

Llyr likes this.
  18. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

So my answer to the slant or r41 is BOTH!!!

Llyr and johnus like this.
  19. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the slant as I don't own one, but you won't go far wrong with the R41, to say it's efficient is an understatement, the lightest of touches is needed, but once you have mastered it, what a shave, is in my regular rotation!!!!

Llyr likes this.
  20. you wont want to use your slant after using the r41 'IMO'... i got'em both. go for it anyway. things can always change, like your mind ;)

Llyr and battle.munky like this.