Merkur 41C "1904" OC

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PadreTex, Jul 12, 2012.

1. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

I received my new Merkur 41C "1904" at providential time this morning (i.e. just before my shower) so that I could use it for the first time. I had not used an open comb before, but they have been recommended to me to help my perpetual fight against ingrown hairs on my neck. I also received in the package a Fatip Grande as well (more on that one tomorrow or Saturday).

The 41C was nicely chromed but lighter than I thought it would be—lighter than my EJ DE89 Barley, which I very much enjoy. It was nicely made in the same basic three pieces that the EJ is made in, unlike the authentically early made Gillette razors that screwed together in the handle. I appreciated the yielding to modern practice here, as I think it is a much better design mechanically. The handle pattern is attractive and certainly gives it a period look.

I decided to compare my shave on a parallel a plane to my EJ as I could, so I used the exact same blades that I have been using for a while now (Persona Red) and resist the temptation to put in one of my new Feather blades. The blade does not have a great deal of exposure beyond the top plate of the razor which gives it a very mild shave. This was something of a surprise to me. I had thought the OC would be more aggressive than my EJ, and found that the Merkur 41C was on a very even par with my EJ in regards to aggresiveness. This may have been because I was very conscious about applying absolutely no pressure given all of the things that I had heard in the past.

The shave was very comfortable, with no weepers or nicks, and I ended up with a DFS. I had rather expected to have a BBS, but that is not usually my goal and so I wasn't disappointed with it. There was also no irritation from the razor which was confirmed by my alum bloc.

The Merkur 41C "1904" OC is a very good razor for those DE shavers who wish to try an open comb. Were I to advise new wet-shavers though, I would advise them to start with an EJ DE 89 in the handle of their choice ($35-$47) and get comfortable with wet shaving for a couple of months at least, learning the technique required. But the 41C OC is perhaps the ideal first open comb razor. I have no regrets at my purchase and will enjoy having it in my rotation—though now I wish it had been perhaps a little bit more aggresive.

Tdmsu, DaveL and Queen of Blades like this.
  2. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Padre,

I'm with you on the mild nature of the 41c. Achieving anything closer than a DFS with the 41c is next to impossible for me. Great for the first couple of passes, then switch for the final pass or touch-ups.

Sometimes wish I had tried the 11c HD open comb before it became unavailable. Oh well. BTW, the 41c is not leaving my den ... love the look of the handle and the efficiency of chopping down several days of growth.

3. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I have the 11C HD, and for me it is only slightly more aggressive than my 34C HD, I got it as I was keen to add to my collection something that had been discontinued, hopefully quite a few years from nowit might be worth more than I paid for it, in the meantime it still provides a DFS!!!

burpsan likes this.
  4. PadreTex

I've been trying to get an 11c HD OC for a little bit now, but I've not been able to even find any one willing to sell one. I'll keep looking and hoping though! It does seem like a great razor. And I like the 41c. I don't really have any complaints about it. I knew when I bought it that it was considered a mild OC, which is exactly what I thought I needed at the time. But we all seem to be constantly on the look out for that "perfect" razor. I fear that it might be like trying to find the perfect woman (or perfect man). My fantasies will always be about three steps out beyond reality, and ultimately we have to live in reality.

Azarius and DaveL like this.
  5. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

The 1904 OC is a really nice razor. I also have an 11c and have no plans to part with either.

6. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Hello Father,

Having had the 11C HD I can tell you that the design are the same, but the comb is attached to the handle, as it is a two piece. You can always try out other handles with the 1904 head, I find the iKon Bulldog Handle provides a great weight.

We all understand about chasing the dragon. Razors are like any other addiction, the first step is admitting that we have a problem. Although I am not too sure if it is an addiction that I will be kicking any time soon.

7. PadreTex

I'm having to fight the addiction... But it's alluring voice is very cloying!

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

The Merkur 1904 I find an excellent razor, very gentle for an OC. I rate it about equal to a Lord L6, Gillette Ball End Tech, or Red Tip.. It has just enough aggression for me but is not dangerous if I have a minor lapse in my technique.

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have a 41C and it's first on my list to get rid of - only because it's far too mild for my beard. If it had the aggression of something like a Gillette Old Type or even a NEW Standard, I'd be keeping it. Excellent beginners OC though in IMO.

10. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Hurmph, from experience, "the devil made me do it" doesn't work.:D
    Personally, I'm planning to use "dementia" in a couple of years. I've been laying the ground work for a while now.:D

11. Neolithium

Going like Vincent The Chin style just running around in a bathrobe? ;)

12. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

The 1904 OC is not only a great razor, but (IMHO) a great value.

13. PadreTex

Have you tried the Fatip Grande? I used mine this morning and it is quite a razor. (I'll write a review on it soon.) It is more aggressive and you might find that much more to your liking.

14. Neolithium

No I haven't. I've wanted to buy one, however after I got home yesterday I took a long hard look at all my DE razors and decided to stick with my R41 and Gillette NEW only - and of course my beloved straights.

15. PadreTex

Just bought two straights off of eBay. They need to be honed desperately. And one of them has a slight nick in the blade. So, I'll be looking for some one to do that for me. I bought the water stones, but need to have them done correctly first. I'm looking forward to trying them.

16. Neolithium

I'd go with gssixgun. When he hones a razor it's sharp enough to cut through time ;)
    http://www.gemstarcustoms.com
    I got my first restored razor from him tried out last night and WOW. Smooth as butter, and perfectly honed.

17. PadreTex

Cut through time... You mean he's... Dr. Who?

Queen of Blades likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: Great guy to work with.

DLP likes this.
  19. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

+1. Glen is super easy to work with.