Finally got my hands on a Red Tip Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ryan B, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I had been in the trenches on ebay trying to get one for the past few weeks and had settled for a regular Super Speed. I just happened to be in the Shave Den Store and glanced in the razor section by chance and snatched it up for $20. It just goes to show me that waiting and having a door slam in my face worked out... I also went and bought some Shave Den Wheat Cream unscented to celebrate. ;)

Just thought I would post my excitement and knew you guys would be excited for me.

Llyr, Conrad1959, Smoothy and 6 others like this.
  2. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I love mine, it's on deck this week too. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Llyr and Ryan Bales like this.
  3. Ryan B

I won't be here when it comes in, but when I'm done doing maneuvers it will be calling my name. I'm content now.

Llyr and JimPo42 like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I hope you like heavy, aggressive razors. Owning a red tip for a week convinced me to shell out the money for a Fatboy. I still shave with my red tip every once in a while. They sure are nice razors. Congratulations!

5. Ryan B

The only way I'll find out is by using it. I'll gladly hack my face up trying to figure out the razor than use a cartridge deal again. Plus, I'll have a great cream to try it out with. I also have some vintage Palmolive (USA,) some carbon steel USA made blades, so now all I have to do is find a US made brush and I'll be vintage!

Llyr likes this.
  6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The red tip is a fine razor! My dad has one. He doesn't wet shave anymore so I tried to hint to him that he should give it to me. Instead he just let me borrow it for a week. :(

Llyr likes this.
  7. Ryan B

Aw dang, what a tease! Just keep holding out, maybe he'll relent at the holidays or for your birthday. ;)

Llyr likes this.
  8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I hope so...but I don't think so. :( I asked for my Monsavon shave soap back the other day and he told me he hadn't tried it yet , and looked really mad that I even asked(he's had it for months...). Needless to say I think whatever is in his shave cabinet is there to stay (his or not...lol).

9. Ryan B

Then I think it's up to the Dept of Wet Shaving Protection Services to step in on this one for a neglected Super Speed...

Llyr and lradke like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool. I just used my Red Tip this morning. Great razor, but after using Gem MMOCs and Gillette Old Types, I find the aggression of the Red Tip to be middle of the road.

Llyr likes this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good razor Ryan. I liked mine but then tried a few others that I loved and kinda went away from all my other razors. Enjoy it man, it really is one of the better Super Speeds.

Llyr likes this.
  12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Think you'll like it. Of the later SS's I think it's the best.

Llyr likes this.
  13. newb

newb Resident Newb

I think the Red Tip is the finest super speed there is. It's really is not that aggressive. It is just the most well balanced Super Speed ever produced. The heavier handle of the red tip makes all the difference. It's a very smooth gentle razor. To me it compares to the Lord L6, and Gillette Ball end Tech.

Llyr and dreadpirate like this.
  14. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I love using mine with a Voshod blade. For me, it is the perfect combination. My go to is the Fatboy for sure but the Red Tip is my second.

Llyr likes this.
  15. Hank

Hank Active Member

I've got one that rarely sees action I don't really care for it

Llyr likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Best grip of any Gillette razor ever, that's the RT.

Llyr likes this.
  17. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new and surely one of your best acquisitions, Ryan! The Red Tip is an absolutely fantastic razor (I also am one of it's die-hard fans as you can tell ;-) My personal preferred combination is with a Feather blade blade. My first one was a worn and battered nodel from its first year of production ('55) and I followed that up with a shiny Rhodium-plated one from 1956. By now however, the first one has been cleaned and replated in Nickel with the Tip repainted in Red, basically back to factory specs. And it looks so good that I sold off the Rhodium one (there can only be one in my house). Don't ever let go of yours!

Ryan Bales and Llyr like this.
  18. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Yes - the Gillette Old Type is aggressive. Not R41 aggressive; but it's up there. That being said, the Red Tip is still a notch or two above the regular super speeds.

Llyr and gorgo2 like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep.

Llyr likes this.
  20. Devildog

Devildog New Member

I just switched my razor rotation to a red tip from a fatboy and I love it. It is similar to a fatboy set on 8. I love the weight of the razor!

Llyr likes this.