Favorites for less than $30??

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by FortWayneShaver, Jul 12, 2012.

1. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Hi all! Was just wondering what the preferred shaving cream for all of us in the sub-$30 range is! Mine would have to be Truefitt 1805, which slides in just at the mark.

Love to hear your thoughts!!

I would also like to include a sub-$15 range, too. Just for those more frugally minded people!!

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Trafalgar, love the scent. I'm a soap guy at heart but there are a bunch of good inexpensive creams. TSD Wheat Cream, Salters, Ingrams, Italian Palolive are a few that I like.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Proraso Red (Original Wheat, not Sandalwood) is still under $30 a tube and is my beloved cream of choice.

Speick is my favourite for around under $15.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Figaro at under $3.00 and Maca Root Shave Cream at $16.00 when it's not on sale (but who buys it when it's not on sale?)
    Trumper's Limes at $32.00 (close enough).:D

EDIT: TSD Wheat Creams, and a new one for me, The Real Shaving Co. "brown label" double concentrated shave cream. At $2.50 a tube (B1G1), it's one of the great English creams that gets overlooked because it doesn't have one of the 3 T's labels on it (even though Creighton's makes them for the three T's).

5. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

Lately I love the Razorock don Marco. The stuff smells amazing and lathers great

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

While I tend to be more of a soap guy, I do love TSD wheat cream. Iced peppermint being my favorite scent (really for any TSD product). I'd consider Connaught cream and Speick cream close contenders.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like Erik, I prefer soaps.

C.O. Bigelow will probably be the only cream I ever buy again to use alone. KMF Unscented I'll always have around to bring life to soaps that smell nice but don't lather up that well (Woods of Windsor comes to mind), or if I error on the side of too much water.

That being said, I'll enjoy the following creams in my den while they last: Tom's of Maine, The Body Shop Meca Root, TSD Wheat Cream Cedarwood, KMF Cool Mint, C&E Sandalwood and C&E Nomad, Brut Classic.

8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

eShave
    C. O. Bigelow

I don't think I would buy any cream over $30

battle.munky likes this.
  9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Any of the RazoRock soaps, the Don Marco is great.

10. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Truefitt & Hill Grafton. I got some samples and I love the stuff. I've been putting off buying it since the tub and ASB together are like $75 before shipping. I actually think everything in my den is <$30 excluding one brush, one DE, and my only straight. I suppose if I bought soaps with their containers instead of refill pucks there would be a few more above that threshold but I'm cheap so there isn't.

11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

TSD Wheat is really nice. Palmolive Menthol,CO Bigelow, Nancy Boy (great scent)

12. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

TSD Wheat Cream, Proraso, Bigelow, Lea, Palmolive, Old Spice Lime, Barbasol, Derby, Arko...just so many, can't list them all.

13. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

C. O. Bigelow, Tabac, Maca Root

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The only cream I have that cost me over $10 is Proraso Red (old), so that would he my favorite for under $30. As for under $15 it would be MEM! Not the olive, but original shave cream! That stuff is amazing and smells great! In fact, I think any shave cream from Israel is amazing!

blanka and Conrad1959 like this.
  15. newb

newb Resident Newb

My favorite less than 30$ creams.
    1) TSD wheat ( Can't beat it)
    2) Florena ( an amazing thick protective cream)
    3) Tet-a-Tet ( if you can find it, it's worth owning)

I can't imagine there are any creams better at any price than these three.

16. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I have only tried 3 shaving creams so far. I have a few others in waiting for their rotation, etc.
    I always use a brush to make warmlather in a scuttle. Proraso, Pacific All Natural, and Kaloderma. I also add 2-3 drops of glycerin to the scuttle. Always, Gene

Conrad1959 likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting, I'd never heard of Kaloderma, and only vaguely remember hearing about Pacific Shaving Co.
    Pacific claims you will get 100 shaves out of a 3 oz. tube. I find that incredibly hard to believe (but then I'm not known for being stingy with the lather either;)). What do you think?

GeneRector likes this.
  18. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I guess I'd better not mention what I use (even when referring to the frugal minded), because it comes from something that rhymes with "Stan" :scared003:!

19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've never spent more than $10 on a single shaving cream or soap. This means my selections fall into the sub- $15 range.

My standby is ARKO cool. Speick and TSD unscented + menthol are close seconds.

I don't use creams much, though.

srpavko and Conrad1959 like this.
  20. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! Kaloderma is available in Canada. It is an inexpensive shaving cream in a tube. I have the Pacific All Natural in a jar; however, I think they are going to all tubes now. I can get 40 or so shaves from the Pacific shave cream. It only takes about a dime size amout. I usually just get a dab on my wet brush and then make a lather in my scuttle. With Kaloderma, I use about a nickel size amount or about a toothpaste amount for my scuttle. Again, 2-3 drops of glycerin is added, it is just my preference, you probably can do without it or YMMV. I enjoy trying new shave creams, but I have found that you don't have to spend lots of money to get a good shave cream. Always, Gene

johnus and PLANofMAN like this.