Wilkinson Sword DE blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

Just threw out a Wilkinson Sword blade. Only got 3 shaves from it and the last one was not even a close shave. It was almost like I didn't shave at all. Fortunately, I only paid $ 1.76 for a pack of 5 at Walmart. Just put in an Astra to try it out tomorrow. Will try the Feather after I have used the razor a bit more. I am using a Feather non-adjustable safety razor I got for $ 20 new at Amazon. So far the best blade was the Gillette 7 o'clock. Also have Shark blades to try.
    Have found though that using this DE razor that I leave some small amount of beard under my nose. I used my Gillette M3 power and easily got it. The safety razor seems too large to get under my nose. Maybe my nose is too big or they want to sell you a mustache razor which is very small.

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I would suggest a blade sampler. Yes under the nose can be difficult to shave under. I learned that pinching the nose and moving to one side makes it easier to shave under it.

3. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I got a blade sampler of 6 different brands plus the Wilkinson's I bought at Walmart.
    The blade sampler included Gillette 7 o'clock, Shark, Derby, Blue Bird, Astra, and Feather. I am saving the Feather's until I am more used to this razor. So far I have only been disappointed in the Wilkinson's. The 7 o'clocks have been the best so far. This might not be a good test of the blades since I only have the inexpensive Feather non-adjustable safety razor that I bought for $ 20. My results may be different with an adjustable Merkur Futur which I am thinking about.
    I have heard the Oskhods and Personna med prep, and 7 AM blades are also very good. I have also read that the Merkur blades are not very good.

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The problem may not be the blade but the shaving angle. The Feather Popular is a very mild razor and I've found I also need a more shallow angle than the usual 30 degrees. I've never bought the Wilkies from Walmart, but the Wilkies I've bought from online shaving supply shops have worked well.

Also, for under the nose, come at it from oblique angles after trying the WTG and also buffing strokes are necessary for me.

Furthermore, I strop blade dry on a towel after shaving and then strop it on a pair of old blue jeans and get a lot more good shaves from it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Devildog

Devildog New Member

I have tried several different blades and the Wilkinson Swords are my least favorite ( no wonder they are so cheap). I prefer feather blades. Although I find some blades perform better in certain razors and in others they do not and visa versa. Sampler pack is the way to try several and find one that fits your beard type and razor type.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I find Wilkinson Sword blades to be more expensive than most when I buy them locally. Though I do get good shaves out of them, I can buy Feathers or Bolzanos for cheaper and that includes shipping! lol

7. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Same here they run about 2.99 in corner stores and at shoppers it is 14.99 for just a 5 pack.
    I an get polsilvers and iridiums for cheaper.

That being said they were my first blades used and gave a decent shave I still use them in my shavette on occasion.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My first blades too.

I get them in a 10 pack for $1.76 at Wal*Mart and I've always gotten good shaves from them. I find them a very middle-of-the-road blade. Consistant, not too sharp or too dull, and always good for 4 or 5 shaves. My local Wal*Mart ran into a snafu where the computer wouldn't let them re-order them. Four months later they now carry them again. Of course now I've got enough feathers, astras, and volkshod blades to last me for years. Any of those blades is superior to the Wilks., but when I get a new razor, the first blade it gets is a Wilks. I find they let me get the most accurate critique of a new razor's shave worthiness.

I suspect that much of Wilkinson Sword's poor reputation comes from new shavers who are just starting out on the DE kick. They try them because they are locally available before they learn proper technique, blame any shortcomings on the blade, never try Wilks again and bad mouth them for the rest of their lives. Naturally there are exceptions to the rule. Blue Birds are reputed to be a high quality, very sharp blade. I found them to be as obnoxious as Merkur blades, and I generally like super sharp blades. So, as with 99% of anything having to do with wet shaving, YMMV.:D

9. raag

raag Member

I'd second this. Never was a big fan of Wilkinson Sword blades... Maybe try something like the Gillette Blue or Personna blades.

10. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I was recently given a pack of Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India. I tried them last week in my Merkur Progress for the 1st time and had a fabulous shave. On the 1st pass I actually had to look to make sure the blade was there! It was a clean, close mild shave that I really enjoyed.
    Wonder if these are made in more than one country??

11. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my Wilkies. A while back, I picked up 2 ten packs at Wally world and was amazed at how many comfortable shaves (6 or 7) with each blade. I figured that I now have a cheap go to blade. Recently I changed my rotation of razors and blade, that being a Feather blade. Once I finished that combo, I went back to using a Wilkinson. Good God what an awful shave! Tugging and pulling so much that I only used it that one time. I thought I may have just gotten a bum blade. So, I tossed another one in and the next shave was just as bad. How can a blade brand go from being one of your most favorites to one that I equaled to a Merkur blade (always at the bottom of my list). Now I use anything but the Wilkie until I run out or feel lucky and try them again.

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Read some arrivals and notes on palm stropping of DE blades. Most of the 'old' recommendations for Palm Stropping was doing it after the shave with the used razor blade.
    The new info was to Palm Strop BEFORE SHAVING with a New Blade. Why? Because new mass produced Blades may have Burrs on the blade edges. Palm Stropping removes these Burrs from manufacturing and you get a smooth shave!! May explain the reason for the differences in blades in the same or different packages.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The black 10 packs sold in Wal*Mart are made in Germany, As are the ones sold in the white 5 packs everywhere else. I believe the Indian Wilks are made for India and Middle East distribution, but are imported into the States by both vendors and eBay sellers.

One thing we should all bear in mind is the Wally Wilks are a vast improvement over the Personnas they replaced. Even those who don't care for the Wilks will agree that the Wal*Mart Personnas were a wretched blade. This is one of those rare instances where YMMV does not apply.

Edit: I am not bashing on any currently manufactured Personna blade, only those that were made for Wal*Mart and were discontinued when they were replaced by the Wilkinson Sword blades.

johnus likes this.