VDH Deluxe Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by burpsan, May 11, 2012.

1. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Perusing through my acquired stash of soaps and creams, I note that I go through more VDH Deluxe than any of my other (often expensive!) soaps and creams. It's not that it doesn't last long ... it's that I tend to use it more than anything else I own. Don't really plan it that way, it just happens. All get some love, VDH Deluxe just gets it on a more regular basis.

Eyeballing SOTD posts, I notice that many individuals return to Williams, Arko, etc. ... time and time again for a basic, solid shave. Can't help but think that there are many that do the same for VDH.
    ---------
    So, this thread is for you ... VDH Deluxe -- You give me a creamy lather, good protection, solid moisturizing abilities, and a pleasant scent. At around $2.00 U.S. a puck, your performance to cost ratio keeps elite company (Arko, Proraso?, etc).

:thanks:

YMMV (of course)
    ----
    [EDIT: "pleasant scent" should probably be changed to "unobtrusive scent"]

2. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I too, will join in on your love for VDH. Has been and will be my go to shave soap.

burpsan likes this.
  3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I always keep a puck in my shave den along with Williams. I have the more expensive stuff to use and also like. But going back to the basics is a good thing. VDH is a good soap that lathers well at a affordable price!

burpsan likes this.
  4. fishshocker

fishshocker New Member

VDH is my first soap....well will be tomorrow, since I just purchased it today. Can't beat the price and availability!

5. burpsan

:happy088:

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I may not appreciate your choice in soap, but I will fight to defend your right to enjoy it! :duel:

7. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Hooray for VDH Deluxe Shave Soap! :D I've only been DE shaviing for about a month, and out of the 3 soaps I use (Williams, CO Bigelow cream, and VDHD) the Deluxe wins. It consisently gives me the type and amount of lather I like and my face feels good during and after shaving. I'll continue to have it in my rotation for as long as it's available.

That being said, I'm on the look out for the Deluxe lather and slip, Williams scent and Bigelow eucalyptus/menthol feel!

Kevin

burpsan likes this.
  8. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

That's an easy one, just grind them together in a mug and add a couple drops of TSD M-bomb in your lather bowl.

9. old okie

old okie Member

Pick up some menthol chrystal's (drug store or eBay) VDH melts very good in the micro wave(1 puck about 20 sec.) disolve your chrystals in a small amount of booze if you have it stir the mixture into the melted soap and put in the fridge for a while.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Try an Arko shave stick with a follow up splash of Osage Rub.
    Or you could buy TSD mentholated lemon scented lanolin shave soap from the Shave Den.:D

awake2shave likes this.
  11. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I agree. It was my first soap as well. I've been through the likes of Old and new William's, Arko, Proraso, but they lack the overall efficacy i'm looking for when I go for a luxurious shave. In all honesty, when i'm shaving because I need to shave, I just do it in the danged shower with the cartridge I use on my neck. But when i'm shaving to enjoy my day off by starting right, I take out my Tortise Handled KimSon silvertip, mitchell's wool fat, red tip, loaded with a personna, and 444/floid aftershave.

I also keep a slew of shave sticks and other "bargain" soaps, but rarely find myself using them on the seeming rare occasion that I even get to shave to enjoy.

Just my stance. But as jeraldgordon said, enjoy it, it is your shave, after all!

12. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Is this vdh deluxe different than the vdh premium I got at the local grocery store?

13. Kevin K

I may be wrong, but I believe that there's 3 types of VDH soap - deluxe is the pink soap, for dry skin/heavy beards, the glycerin is orange?, for sensitive skin/razor burn, and the select is white soap, for normal skin/typical beard. You mentioned "Premium" soap, the premium shave kit that I purchased came with a brush, a bowl and the Deluxe soap. My local Walmart sells only the shave kit and individual pucks of the deluxe. It works really well for my dry skin. Still looking for the glycerin, but it's low on my wish list.

14. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

The premium shave kit is what I got as well. The puck fits my antique mug and I am using the ceramic bowl to lather and load my brush with. It is too small though, going to have to get a larger bowl.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The glycerin is a translucent orange/peach color, yes.
    You should move the glycerin up on your wish list. In my opinion, it's better than the deluxe.

16. Indiexsunrise

BLASPHEMER!!! JK I like the glycerine too. I have it melted around a puck of deluxe, and one in an old spice mug.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. burpsan

Been a while (years) since i've used the glycerin. If my memory serves me right, the deluxe provides more cushion. Please correct me if i'm off.

It really depends what you prefer ... the super slickness of glycerin or more cushion (and moisture).

BTW, if the deluxe doesn't have enough glycerin ... some can be added.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Could be, I was just starting out when I tried the Deluxe (years ago), and I just discovered the Glycerin a few months ago. I'm sure my lathering technique has improved over the years.
    In fact, I know it has, because occasionally I find myself dispensing advice on how to get a good lather from VdH.:D I found the Deluxe and the Select are too drying on my skin. I need the extra moisture I get from the glycerin. another case of YMMV, I guess.

I'm surprised that the new ultra premium luxury VdH hasn't been brought up yet.

19. Indiexsunrise

We don't talk about that "stuff" around here... Joking aside the luxury VDH seems to be popular with the reddit community in r/wicked_edge

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. Kevin K

Okay, so I frankensteined a couple of pucks of VDH Deluxe! First, I added some dissolved menthol crystals to a melted puck of VDHD, came out pretty good. The menthol is not as strong as Proraso, but it's okay. Second, I grated a puck of Williams and a puck of VDHD, melted them and mixed together with dissolved menthol. This gives the smell of Williams and the feel of Proraso, but doesn't lather as well as VDHD. Maybe next time I'll add less Williams and see what happens. I'm gonna use the stuff I made, but I still prefer the VDHD all on it's own!

burpsan likes this.