SoS: July 23rd, 2012 - July 29th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Saturday 7-28-2012

1920's un-branded French Old Type w/solid handle
    Wilkinson's Stainless Blade
    Classic Brand Jasmine SS in Ceramic Lather Bowl
    Vintage Hess Barber's Favorite #2 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Brut Original ASB
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve ASL

A great way to start the week end off. Wishing smooth shaving and a relaxing week-end to all! :happy005:

[​IMG]

Smoothy, wlmcad, Asd and 15 others like this.
  2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Really enjoy your pictures. Your shave bowl looks awesome.

Smoothy, goshawk, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  3. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Saturday
    soak brush/Semogue SOC/DB Brush Scuttle
    hot shower
    Proraso PrePost cream
    TSD Jasmine shave soap :love029::love029::love029:
    Schick E2/Schick (4)
    Gillette SS/Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Thayer's Medicated Superhazel
    Swiss Pitralon splash mixed with a small amount of 444

I had a dreadful first pass with the Schick,lots of tugging.I started to do a second pass and I said enough of this.I picked up the first razor I saw,the Gillette SS 40's style,and had a great remaining shave.This particuliar razor has giving me so-so shaves since I first got it,so I think I'm going to retire the E2.The good part of this shave was the TSD Jasmine soap.Wonderful smell and lots of lather,I knew I was going to love this soap.

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Saturday, 07/28/2012

Shower and Shave

Hot shower
    Proraso glycerin
    Uncle Pooley's Cedar and Eucalyptus
    Gillette Rocket
    Voshkod
    Cold water splash, RazoRock alum, Osage Rub, Proraso balm.

I tried the sample of Uncle Pooley's (Appalachian Heritage Soaps). This soap does require some extra effort to lather, working with the water ratio too. I found that after trying to bowl lather, that it was best to face lather. By the third pass the face seemed dried out. I will work with this soap to see if I can unlock the secret, the soap does have potential.
    The Rocket, Voshkod is a great teaming.

On a hot day the :Animatedfrozensmily: of Osage Rub is very welcomed. BeFunky_Stenciler_1.jpg

Smoothy, wlmcad, Asd and 16 others like this.
  5. Stroker

Thanks for the kind words Brad! I forgot I had this bowl in the back of the bottom cabinet drawer and discovered it when re-arranging. It's a hand thrown ceramic with short sides that is perfect for getting to the SS pucks without banging the sides with the brush. I had a spare puck of Jasmine SS so, I'm putting it into service as it's too nice to leave buried in a drawer somewhere. lol Just noticed that I miss-described the Hess brush...... :signs081:

Llyr and macaronus like this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

SHAVELOG: 28/072012

Music: Jazz
    Preshave: Olive, water
    Soap: Hugo Geranium Grapefruit
    Razor: Henckels 4/8 HG
    AS: water rinse then pure Lemon oil

A very lengthy go of it today. The reduction was ok in WTG and XTG, but I'm really going to need to concentrate on short blade strokes with the SR. Also am focusing on making sure the whole blade surface is evenly applied to the stropping surface. Overall an alright shave..have a good one..:)

Smoothy, wlmcad, Llyr and 12 others like this.
  7. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Saturday:

Yard work was calling my name this morning so had a late leisurely shave today.

Warm shower / Proraso Pre / TSD Iced Coconut Lime Verbena / Semogue 620 / Gillette Aristocrat w/ Voskhod blade / RazoRock Alum / Thayers WH w/ 3 drops TSD M-Bomb / Superior 70

Fantastic shave today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343498406.669094.jpg

Smoothy, wlmcad, Asd and 13 others like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Saturday
    Dubl Duck Goldedge 6/8"
    SOC Boar
    MWF
    Cold Water Rinse
    Floid Blue

Square point....mmmmm. Love it too much.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That shave bowl is supremo! :happy088:

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Your whole set-up looks interesting....You know I love those paint brush type handles, especially with the flat end...
    And that French Razor....looks like a Hoffritz....do you suppose it could be an unbranded Merkur made for a shop in France?

And I dig that bowl aswell.....Pinaud, love it....Jasmine SS, sounds great....Your whole ensemble really swings today, my friend.......:)

Smoothy, Llyr, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Cool shower
    Arko Shave Stick/Omega 10029
    1955 Schick Hydro-magic/Personna-EMS
    Rebul Lavanda Colonia/Pour Un Homme de Caron EdT

Lovely....2 passes of heavenly shaving enjoyment...:)

Smoothy, wlmcad, Llyr and 10 others like this.
  12. Stroker

Thank you Sir! And to think I bought that bowl over a year ago and it has been sitting in the bottom of a drawer all that time! lol Glad that I found it...it's like Christmas in July! lol

Llyr, goshawk, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  13. Stroker

Thanks Lloyd! I'm not sure what maker that razor came from; it could be a Hoffritz. There were a number of Gillettes manufactured in France as well and Merkurs' so....? There were a number of copy-cat razors manufactured during the early days when Gillette was fighting the patent pirates so it might be a copy of an old type Gillette. The open comb head and cap are identical to the old type Gillete as far as I can tell. At any rate, this razor shaves exactly like an old type. :signs002:

Thanks for the kind wrods my friend, I really enjoyed the Jasmine SS and Pinaud SR this morning; they went very well together. Todays shave was a welcome change of pace. :happy088:

14. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

July 28, 2012

Parker 22R
    Shark Super Chome
    Omega Shame Cream

I have to say...I love the Omega the best of the lot. And when you use a warm mug...nice!!!

Smoothy, wlmcad, Llyr and 10 others like this.
  15. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree...tough one to get the secret to unlocked. Fortunately for my facial hair and skin, works fine. Not my favorite. But my goal is to try as many artisan soaps I can get a hold of and see what works. I got another one I just tried a few days ago and you get monster lather with that so it might be PIF time down the road again! :)

Llyr, JayPo007 and macaronus like this.
  16. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Gillette Gold Slim
    Polsilver Blade
    Semogue 830 Boar
    Williams Vintage Tonsorial Soap
    TSD ISZ Splash
    Mama Bear's Iced Grapefruit AS
    tunes-Josquin slim.jpg

Smoothy, wlmcad, Asd and 14 others like this.
  17. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Saturday 28th July

Facial Scrub
    3P Pre/Post cream
    Muhle R106/Gillette Bleue Extra
    Semogue 1800 Brush
    Vitos Green Soap
    Witchazel
    Rosehip Oil
    Lilac Vegetal

3 Pass BBS:)

Smoothy, wlmcad, Llyr and 11 others like this.
  18. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Saturday:
    Razor: Lord L6
    Blade: Shark Super Chrome
    Brush: Omega Boar 49
    Soap: Williams
    A/S: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

[​IMG]

Smoothy, wlmcad, Llyr and 8 others like this.
  19. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Well I'll be darned, Gerry! My best shaves are consistently with the E2 Injector razor. I did have one batch of sorry injector blades, but I can generally get 7-10 close, comfortable shaves from the Chinese Schick and Personna injector blades. Best I can do is 4-5 decent shaves from DE razor blades.

YMMV, and it sure did in your case. :(

Llyr, oscar11 and macaronus like this.
  20. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Blind Blade Test, Shave of the Day (SOTD) Saturday July 28, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaking in hot water, face scrub with TSD Sandalwood soap, Tepid Water Shower
    Razor: 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 9
    Blade: Blind Blade Test Blade #4, Shave #1
    Brush: VIe-Long LE Beehive Natural Horse Hair
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Brut Attitude Loción
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

Late posting my SOTD as I just have been busy today. A customer started texting at 8:30 am, I had some light plumbing work to do around, ran to the store and cooked dinner (Cornish Hens stuffed with cornbread stuffing, served with butter beans and collard greens).

This is day eight of the blind blade test, which is the first shave with blade number four.

Per the guidelines of the test I will not be posting my results of the blade, as we do not want other participants to be influenced by our own shaving experience. At the end of the test, I will be posting my complete daily journal.

All variables remain the same accept for the aftershave, which today is a first, the Brut Attitude Loción, which comes in a glass bottle.

The initial smell is a modern aquatic scent with top notes of citrus, mint, and pepper. When first applied it is very strong but within about 15 minutes it calms down, it has very clean summery scent. I notice a little oakmoss, cedar with slight hints of musk and lavender.

I like this a lot, will definitely become part of my regular rotation.

Smoothy, wlmcad, madmedic and 8 others like this.