My New $11 Open Comb From India

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Azarius, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have always preached that more expensive does not always equate to better quality, nor does inexpensive equate to poor quality.

My good razor buddy and BOTOC Co-Founder, Johnnie Bradley had posted this razor in the BOTOC thread. When I saw the price I figured what did I have to lose, at $11 shipped it was the cost of a lunch.

So what do you get for $11, One open which appears to be plated in Nickel, four 5-Packs of Blades, that include four Gillette Wilkinson's and one Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, so a toal of 20 blades and a plastic case.

While this is no Joris when it comes to quality, it exceeds many razors costing three to four times as much. The plating and finishing is much better on this than the FaTip. The weight is very similar to that of the EJ89L, almost identical in feel. My scale is damaged so I cannot weigh it, but once I am done with the blind blade test I will give a much more detailed of this razor.

Negatives are similar to what you may find with any open comb. If you do not pay particular attention when putting in the blade you will end up with a variance in the blade angle. It took me a few attempts to get a blade set just right. The other thing I am not to fond about it the "pyramid" top cap. I would prefer a smooth cap similar to a NEW, but for $11 this is not bad. If you happen to own a Tech or a NEW the top cap fits like a glove.

Although I am participating in a Blind Blade Test at the moment, I figured I could do one evening shave with this to give it a spin, and who can blame me, it has been 13 days since I have shaved with an Open Comb.

So how did it shave? Exceptional well. It was more aggressive than I was expecting, but not so much that it was uncomfortable. For my evening shave I whipped up a nice combo of TSD Sandalwood Wheat Cream and TSD Sandalwood soap. I decided to load it with one of these Gillette Wilkinson, and gave her a spin. The blade is sharp, but not the smoothest. No weepers or tugging, BBS after 2 passes, and zero burn from Alum and Brut.

Would I recommend this razor to someone? Yes, for $11 you cannot go wrong, you will just need to be patient as it took 29 days to get from India to my front door.

gorgo2, Smoothy, Slipperyjoe and 2 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Arley, excellent review and BTW, I am a sucker for "inexpensive" items as well.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN and Azarius like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Is this a current production razor? What I'm really asking, are there more available? I'm a sucker for Old Spice.

Azarius likes this.
  4. Azarius

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You had to post that when I'm broke. Oh, well. If it's still there tomorrow I'll get it.:)

6. Azarius

That seller is always adding stuff,so if gone, will be added again later.