How can I properly sanitize a previously owned safety razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by A440, Aug 2, 2012.

1. A440

A440 New Member

Hey, new here and wondering how to get started. Conventional modern razors irritate my skin to no end, and I recently saw a YouTube video that said old fashioned safety razors do not pull the beard hair prior to cutting it, and were alot easier on the skin if used correctly.

I like antiques alot anyway, so I am bidding on a beautiful 1950's safety razor. Question is, I am also a professional germ-a-phobe, and was wondering if you guys knew how I could sanitize the thing sufficently.

Also any recommendations on a good quality pack of razors?

Thanks!

A

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Once it arrives, if you give it a good dousing of Scrubbing Bubbles and a Soft Toothbrush it will sterilize and bring back a nice shine to the razor itself as well.

As for a quality pack of razors, go for a sampler pack - lots of brands, face types, beard types and it's best for your face to tell you which one suits you best. Here's a few vendors that have sampler packs:
    http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=213
    http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

JayPo007 likes this.
  3. A440

A440 New Member

Sounds good, buying a sample pack now

Thanks!

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For initial cleaning the scrubbing bubbles Justin is referring to is the type that comes in the aerosol can, not the squirt bottle. A weekly application will continue to keep it sanitized and free of soap scum. If you are so germ-a-phobic that you don't take the top kleenex from the dispenser, you might want to keep a glass of isoprypol alcohol next to your sink to dip your razor in after you rinse it off in water when you are done shaving. This is done mainly to displace water because alcohol evaporates much faster, but also has a disinfecting benefit as well.

If it makes you feel better, 99% of even old crusty begrimed razors are less likely to be covered in germs than the silverware at your local restaurant. Most vintage razors have been sitting unused for 40 or 50 years, so even if they are covered with germs, those germs have been dead for a very long time. :)

5. Neolithium

Yep, Thanks Ryan I forgot to mention that. I coat my razors in the foam from scrubbing bubbles and let it sit until the foam dissolves, then scrub with the toothbrush. If anything survives that barrage - humanity is doomed.

6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Dawn dish soap, hot water and an old tooth brush will clean it up just fine.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

IF and only IF it is an all-metal razor and NOT gold coated, you can also put the razor in boiling water for a couple minutes to kill off any germs and make any buildup really easy to clean off. If not - scrubbing bubbles as recommended above is the best solution.

8. A440

A440 New Member

This stuff?

[​IMG]

9. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

You can try Barbercide.

10. Neolithium

That's the stuff I use. Foams up amazing, goes into all the nooks and crannies and you know its done when the foam has dissolved into nothing :)

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know this does not apply in your case, but for others who are reading this, never boil a black handled razor. It will cause the anodizing to turn grey.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Boiling really should be left to Chrome or Nickel razors only.
    Silver has it's own boiling process:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-gillette-single-ring-cleaning-picture-heavy.25538/

Do not boil gold since the protective lacquer would be destroyed.
    Do not boil painted or anodized razors since the color will fade or change.
    Do not boil plastic razors for obvious reasons!

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've boiled my Red-Tip Super Speed and it was unharmed. I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if it's generally OK.

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I would ascribe it more to the luck of the draw. The original paint they used was pretty good, but after 50 - 60 years, aging issues set in on most.

15. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

After scrubbing with some dish soap and a toothbrush I dip mine in some barbercide from Sally's Beauty.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Which is why I play it save and use Scrubbing Bubbles on ALL my razors.