The Haul: August 6th - August 12th, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Aug 6, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Whatchoo got?? :cool:

2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I made a nice score at an antique mall that's been a good source for me before. Two actually. The first was a blue Lady Gillette, with case and a blade dispenser for just $9. The dispenser came with 2 unused blades and a few used blades, including on in the razor. The dispenser looks nice on top but has some rust on the bottom. The razor mechanism is smooth and the finish of the razor is excellent. What's the accepted cleaning solutions for a Lady Gillette? I normally use Scrubbing Bubbles but I'm hesitant to do that with this blue finish.

The second one is a 1921-1928 Old Type Set if I'm looking at the Mr. Razor website correct. What you're seeing is after I cleaned it up, though it didn't take much cleaning up. I do see now that I failed to clean between the teeth (which are all straight). Is this one of the types that is prone to handle cracking? There's no evident on this one. For only $23, I feel I got a pretty good deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JayPo007, Hanzo, Luteplayers and 8 others like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

Yes, all of the older hollow handle Gillette's are notorious for cracks, splits and hairline fractures. They didn't mix the copper correctly and the pressure of the head pieces in them eventually caused these things to happen under the stress. To have one without any of the common cracks, splits or hairline fractures is very good. The price is very good as well!

As for the blade, the 2412 number dates it being made in the 6th week of 1925.

5Savages likes this.
  4. 5Savages

Thanks for that info!

I normally don't keep used blades, but should I retrieve the two that came with this razor and keep them? As old as they are, and after a scrubbing bubble treatment, I'm sure they wouldn't harbor any infectious waste any more.

5. IAmTheJody

The old blades really have no value unless they are from the first 2 years of production. So other than unless you just wanting to say you've got blades from 1925 and just keeping them to display with your razor from the same time period, trash 'em.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Or send them to me. I've been wanting to try some old three hole types for my experiment with the 5 second sharpener.:drool: If you want I can send you a five or ten pack of modern blades for you to try in exchange.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice haul!

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Lady Gillette has an anodized finish which is more durable than paint, feel free to use scrubbing bubbles, you won't hurt it. As for your other question, all of the old hollow handled Gillettes are prone to cracking, but the old type ball end is the worst offender. If you really feel it should have cracks to look authentic, just boil it for a while.;)

5Savages likes this.
  9. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

My husband and I used Barbercide to clean my blue Lady Gillette and it didn't effect the blue finish at all. Never used Scrubbing Bubbles on my razors so I don't know about that.

5Savages likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. 5Savages

Unfortunately there won't be a need. Closer inspection did reveal a faint hairline crack.:(

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I wouldn't worry about it. For the price you paid you got excellent condition for that razor. To date, I haven't seen more than 2 of them without one, and the hairline itself won't cause any performance issues.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

These arrived today, two Semogue Boars that I acquired in a trade with Brian (SharpSpine), a 1438 and a 820. [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Although I am part of a blind blade test and I cannot use other gear, nothing can stop me from just lathering up and washing it off.

You really do not want to know how many times I lathered with each brush tonight...I think I have a new addiction, and it's named Semogue.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Scrubbing bubbles is good stuff. Shines them right up after a couple minutes of scrubbing. And it can be found at Wal Mart or any store of that nature.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Arley I did the same thing when I received my 1305. Glad to know there's someone else out there who did that sort of thing lol.

Azarius likes this.
  16. Neolithium

Semogue brushes are addictive. Just ask my Simpsons brush that has been sitting unused for the longest time ;)

Azarius likes this.
  17. Neolithium

Ladies and Gentlemen let me present my newest acquisitions FINALLY arrived through the slow as hell Canadian Postal system.

-Naniwa 3k/8k Combo Hone
    -Illinois Co #127 Strop

[​IMG]

Of course I have already used the Naniwa on my 2 Dovo razors - I'm officially converted to these artificial beauties. As for the strop, its performance far exceeds its very reasonable pricetag and I will be looking into a second one to take with me on exercise and deployments - it beats the snot out of my paddle strops hands down.

18. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Snapshot_20120807.JPG

Picked up this locally made London Winery Limited wine bottle circa 1967 at V.V. today they had more that I wanted to buy but all my splashes are low so didn't bother to get the others this one will be the new home of my Osage rub when it arrives tomorrow.

19. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

This came in a trade off from a very nice chap whom i did a little restoration repair work for, A almost mint Dubl Duck, after looking closely at the blade in all honesty i really dont think it's been honed, beautiful looking razor.

Jamie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Asd, PadreTex, lradke and 11 others like this.
  20. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Beautiful straight! I love the color and it looks brand new. :happy088:

Jamie Mahoney likes this.