TOBS Shaving Cream -- Which of these 5 would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Smott, Jul 27, 2012.

?

Which of these 5 scents would you recommend for someone picking up their first tub of TOBS?

1. Eton College

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Lavender

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Lemon & Lime

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Mr. Taylor

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Rose

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Which of these 5 scents would you recommend for someone picking up their first tub of TOBS? And no, it's no coincidence that these happen to be the 5 varieties available at The Shave Den Store...

Eton College
    Lavender
    Lemon & Lime
    Mr. Taylor
    Rose

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I haven't tried any TOBS other than Lavender. That would be my first choice not only because of the use by me, but it has been consistently reviewed as one of, if not the best lavender creams available in terms of scent. Performance is the same for all the TOBS line though.

trader ron and Smott like this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

What a nonsensical question! get one of each, of course... !

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011: and post your opinions of each. You know, for those of us who haven't tried them. Like me.:)

Smott likes this.
  5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Or better yet load up on TSD soaps ;)

trader ron likes this.
  6. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I'm filing a protest!:D

Why no St James? the St James line is the reasonably priced shaving products of the gods!:D

7. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Jermyn St. is hands down my favorite. Of the one's you've listed, I like Mr. Taylor. Another good one is Shave Shop, but that's not on you list either.

Smott likes this.
  8. Smott

No worries there. Like I said, it's no coincidence that these 5 varieties are being offered at TSD right now. I intend to use one of them as a supplement to my TSD Wheat order. ;)

Haha, only because those aren't offered on here and I'm adding a TOBS to my current TSD order. But your recommendation is noted for a few years down the road when I actually need some cream again.

9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

You know, Steve, you need to branch out. Start shaving your head. Maybe shave "somewhere" else. Your cream and soap usage would go up, and you could try, and review for the rest of us, more products. All in the interest of strengthening the brotherhood, of course. :rofl:

PLANofMAN and trader ron like this.
  10. Smott

[​IMG] Not gonna happen. Nope, not that either. I will find other ways of strengthening the brotherhood. hehe

Though I will try and be better about sharing my thoughts on some of the products I've tried so far. I wish there was a single, authoritative section for each item where reviews could be shared and compiled so I don't fragment the whole forum with another thread...

11. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I do not care at all for the Sandalwood......however the Lemon & Lime is quite amazing....all the TOBS creams lathers like a mother too! The rose is not too bad but unless you LOVE floral scents its not the greatest.....it has a more feminine smell to it IMO.....shoulda been made for women I think lol.....but the scent lingers for quite some time after your shave.

12. raag

raag Member

Lavender/Rose scents are very strong, so just keep that in mind when purchasing.

13. Smott

Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and ordered the Lavender since I hadn't tried anything else with a scent close to it and I've heard good things. Annnnd this was before the majority voted Lemon/Lime! I also ordered a few different cream samples with my TSD store order: TOBS Avocado, TOBS St. James, TOBS Jermyn Street, T&H 1805, Castle Forbes Lime, and D.R. Harris Arlington. Together with my tubs of TSD Coconut Lime Verbena Wheat cream and the TOBS Lavender, there isn't a single scent I don't care for.

Which stinks (pun intended) because I'll miss any one of them when the sample is gone (or when the TSD Wheat/TOBS Lavender tubs are empty). Good stuff!!

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Not exactly what your asking for but I've used the TOBS Lavender soap and Sandalwood cream and liked them both but I'm pretty much a soap guy.

15. Smott

Sure, I appreciate you sharing! I always ask when people say this, but what is it about soap that you prefer to cream?

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've shaved with soaps and face lathered for so long it's the only normal I know. Using shaving creams is a slightly less fulfilling experience for me. I do sincerely believe that I get better slip with soaps. There are many excellent creams out there but I'm a soap guy. Heavy on the YMMV. It's just my personal preference. it's what I like to use.

17. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Maybe for another thread ... I prefer soaps too, but am curious what folks have told you in general. (I do see oscar11's response above.)

18. Smott

The reasons for preferring soap that I've heard most often had to do with soap lasting longer (value) and ease of face lathering. I still need to try soaps. I've only used creams up to this point. And I've only bowl lathered. Next stop on this crazy train: face lathering with soaps!

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pros and Cons Soap vs. Cream thread here.

This completes today's thread hijack.

20. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting us back on track. ;)