Greetings from the Land of Norse

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Norseman, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Good morning Majesties, Ladies and Bruces.

Another noob wishes to pay tribute to Her Majesty and this most excellent forum.

I have had the pleasure of lurking around this forum for a few weeks now, and have found it most useful and entertaining. I am very grateful for this forums existence and have learned a lot so far. Looking forward to learning even more.

I have only been wetshaving for a few weeks, and thanks mostly to this community I have already assembled a decent amount of goodies. Including The excellent Shave Den Lanolin Shaving Soap.

Being severly afflicted with various AD’s, (kayak, photo, wool clothing :) ) this hoarding of creams and soaps was suprisingly easy not to mention pleasant.

A bit about myself.
    I am 36 years old, have two kids in the diaper age and have found that the best way to get a good shave is in the evenings. This has also proven to be my favorite time of the day, and I look forward to every pass.
    Before I was a machine-shaver, and like most people found that to be a tedious chore. This usally meant that I sported a two day stubble most of the time. I have a heavy growth, and even when I shave in the evening, I have an indecent stubble the following morning.

At the moment I shave using a Merkur 34HD in conjunction with a boar, pure badger or silvertip brush in my rotation.

I purchased a sample pack of blades from Connaugh shaving, and have so far found Treet Platinum, a 7’O clock gilette and feather blades to work best. Derby and Astra not so much, but still not bad. But I still have a few types I have not tried, and is also waiting for a few blades of Personna 74 to arrive at my doorstep. But guess I will wait for my technique to improve before I start wasting those.

With regards to soap and cremes, I have some Proraso’s, Taylors, Trumpers, the Body shop, TSD, Tabac, Arko, Fitjar and a few dozen samples in my den. I am also expecting a twelve pack of Derby sticks, a kg of Vitos and a batch of Mitchells to arrive.

I have yet to single out a favorite, since I have not quite cracked the “perfect lathering” code on all of them.
    Furthermore I am struggling with a feeling of dry and tight skin after shaving, and am not sure if this is due to the facewash, alum block, alcohol with hazel AS, the various moisterizers or all of the above. But I look forward experimenting and finding the perfect formula for me.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.
    English is not my first language, so I apologize for any misspelling, bad grammar or written annoyances

2. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

3. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046:

Enjoy your stay here :happy088:

Norseman likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome!

[​IMG]

Norseman likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Glad you're here!
    And, by the way, your english is better than many Americans I've had to deal with!

Norseman likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Norseman likes this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

Wow! That got there quick! :eek:
    I am glad you are enjoying it. :)

Norseman likes this.
  8. Norseman

Thank you Your Grace

Actually I think I located and copied the text from the wrong soap in the shop. It was the wheat cream I purchased, and it gave me an excellent shave :)

Thank you all for this warm welcome.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You can call me JoAnna. :)

I had to use my queenly powers to go look. You're right, it was the wheat cream in Sandalwood. You'll have to try the Lanolin soap next then. ;)

10. Norseman

Thank you. I will.
    My name is Frode. Which I guess is a strange name for an English speaker. I tried changing it to Darth. But I was not allowed :)

You bet I will. It's on my ToBuy list. Together with your world famous AfterShave Milk

11. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Welcome! You'll love it here! :bounce017:

Norseman likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Frode. You've got a nice stack of goodies! Welcome to The Shave Den and happy shavings!

Norseman likes this.
  13. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den!

Norseman likes this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome to the den man. You came to the right place. As far as your arsenal is concerned, you're pretty well stacked.

Norseman likes this.
  15. Norseman

Thank you once again.

I admit I have quite the arsenal for someone who hasn't been in the light for more than a few weeks. And in my more lucid moments, I am both troubled and if not ashamed, I am at lest haunted by a similar feeling.
    The one you call SWMBO just shakes her head in dismay. But I think she is just relieved that my AD has moved on from the kayaking world and over to the shaving world. :)

But joking aside, I think it is good to have a wide selection. This way I can discover what works for me and what is totally wrong. And since I have had some troubling issues, I think it is best to move on to the next product instead of risking to loose interest and going back to the electrical alternative.

Furthermore, any surplus material will be given away as christmas presents to male friends and relatives in the decades to come. :)

16. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Well then we'd best get to know you well as soon as possible! [​IMG]

Haha, welcome to The Shave Den, Frode! You have paddled your way to shaving bliss!

Norseman likes this.
  17. richgem

So... uh.... we're gonna start norsing around ?

Norseman likes this.
  18. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

These puns continue to touch a thor spot for me.

Norseman likes this.
  19. richgem

Balder-dash! But, when it comes to puns, Heimdall ears.

Norseman likes this.
  20. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Must say that I'm Viking this thread.

Welcome to the den Frode. You'll enjoy the friendships you make here. I can't think of a single person here I don't like!

Norseman and Smott like this.