Adjustable Schick Injector Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheFiveO, Aug 14, 2012.

1. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Okay....I have been bit by the injector bug! I bought a hydromatic on the trading site nearly a year ago and finally got around to using it and I am hooked!!

I have a question for those of you much more experienced with the injectos. In my quest to find more injector razors, I keep seeing the adjustables for sale. Can anyone explain the purpose behind these? I am assuming it's like the adjustable DE's in that it changes the angle of the blade to make it more "aggressive", but that is just conjecture on my part.

Thank you for your input!!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It actually slides the blade head and guard up and down to expose more of the blade, not change the angle. The injector is more or less a fixed angled razor (head is flat to face).

3. TheFiveO

Thank GDCarrington......shoulda known I can always count on you for expertise!! Hope you are doing well!

4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Actually a very logical system...although I always end up looking for a setting that matches the regular fixed headed Schicks....For me I don't see a reason to adjust as the Hydro-magic is already perfect....There is one Adjustable Schick that has a blade guard that covers the blade so you can throw the razor into a shaving kit and the blade is protected and everything else is protected from the blade...lol....That sounds like a cool option...

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am hanging in there with the best or the rest of them! ;)

Conrad1959 likes this.
  6. TheFiveO

I understand I am asking a loaded question here, but, having found a HM, have I found pretty much THE injector by which all others are compared? I have been watching the G series with bakelite handle, but am I getting anything orher than frustration?

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The J3: Golden 500, M Dial Series and the L5: Paul Revere are my favorite injectors. Check out Jody's page on this.

http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.html

8. TheFiveO

Speaking of the Golden 500, there was one for sale the other day for $120.00 on the auction site!!

Thanks GD for the link, I had seen that before, but your input put a whole new perspective on it!! All three you mention are gorgeous to look at, and the fact they are great shavers makes them even more intriguing.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If it was the J3 Hydro-magic Golden 500 in mint condition then that would not surprise me at all.

10. Bird Lives

You know as far as cool factor goes....A Schick Repeater in good working order is hard to beat....The 3 Gary mentioned are all great The 'E''s and 'G's are hard to beat for simply whisker whacking...and the I2 H-M is my personal fav. But I've never met a Schick Injector I didn't like...:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I like the G's and L's, especially the Paul Revere. I have 3 Schick adjustables, a PAL and a Personna. I can't seem to find the difference in my shave when I change settings.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is not a pronounced as a DE adjustable. In my usage it allows me to use a blade maybe one or two more shaves than a fixed.

13. Bird Lives

I feel that way...but then I started on one....I know cats who started on 'E' types and thats "The Injector" they judge all others by....lol

I think Schick got it so right...you can get a great shave from all....If you think your H-M is too mild, then grab an 'E' or a "G"...if you think its too aggressive then grab a 'Golden 500' or an 'L'....

If you're a collector, grab them all...:happy097:

14. TheFiveO

All this jabberin about the Schicks made me look forward to my nightly ritual last night. Only one thing I forgot....with all this talk about how smooth and safe the Schicks are....they are still really freaking SHARP! This was my third shave with the Personna 74's and I must have been over exhuberant because I had several weepers all over the place. Note to self......still a razor!! Also, I was using VanDerhagen soap and I can never seem to get a thick lather going with it. It always seems thin especially compared to my Spiess or Irisch Moos shave sticks!!

I won't tell ya what happened when I splashed on my Master's Bay Rum!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry021:

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, it is a sharp blade and a high performing razor!

16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I have three Schick and one PAL adjustable, I like the Schick's a lot. The PAL is OK, but I can't tell much difference between the settings. The one that Lloyd mentioned is called the Protector, two of mine have that feature. It's great for travel or if you have a little ones around that might find the razor.

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So, I've been using a G1 and it's tearing me up. Tried all sorts of things but continually getting weepers and razor burn. I'm using Chinese Schick blades. But I love the feel of them in my hand and don't want to quit using them. However my face can't take continual weepers/burn.

I also have an I1, a "Grip" model and an M1 adjustable. Would one of these be milder and maybe eliminate the problem?

dcc likes this.
  18. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Oh man, don't tell me this. I just acquired my first Injector razor, a G1, and am waiting for the blades to come. In answer to your question, though, yes, the later types would be milder than a G from what I've been told.

19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm sure it's one of the YMMV situations. I'll be trying the I or M1 adjustable next. Hopefully all will be well then

20. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

No worries. I am pretty transparent with my experiences on this board. I'm sure I'll let everyone know how it goes when I've had a chance to get some blades and try it!