Schick Band Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight Arrow, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I just received a couple of Schick Band Razors along with several cartridge refills. I just gotta try everything that's out there. Planning on putting it to my face tomorrow morning. Any advice, warnings, or ridicule would be appreciated.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Hey Rich - which Schick have you got? quattro?

3. Straight Arrow

No. It's a band razor. The cartridge contains a ribbon blade of stainless steel that can be advanced after a few shaves to expose a fresh section of blade. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Very cool, I have never seen one of those. Let us know how it shaves ;)

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Just shave baby! :happy088

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Looks kinda large. Where do you park that thing at night? :D

7. fritz

fritz New Member

It's Schick's answer to the Gillette TechMatic band razor. They mention their "competitor" in the ad....

Hope you don't like it too well. AFAIK there's no way to get new "blades" for it.

8. Straight Arrow

I did this morning. Got quite a pleasant shave. No irritation, no blood. Can't wait to try it again. :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Fortunately it came with 10 cartridges each containing 10 exposures. 100 "blades" oughtta last me for awhile.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would never touch any cartridge razor. The cartridges tend to be proprietary and therefore cost and arm and a legg.

10. fritz

fritz New Member

Completely in agreement. OTOH, this is a vintage razor, and the blades are essentially unavailable in any large quantities, except for old stock, and there isn't much of that. In fact, I am really surprised that he got 10 band cartridges with it! Most of these come with maybe one or two.

I used the Gillette TechMatic version of this razor in 1965-67 or so. It actually gave really good shaves. It's a single blade, so not subject to the dreaded "Trac II" effect.

So if he gets 2 or 3 shaves each "blade" that's 200-300 shaves for... well, don't know what he paid for it, but probably no more than 100 good DE blades.

And it's a real kick to use not only a razor, but blades that are 40+ years old!:D

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is this dreaded Trac II effect?

12. fritz

fritz New Member

Now com'on, JB! You're old enough to remember those commercials! The Trac II was the first cartridge blade. Two blades, and "the first blade pulls the whisker out, and the second blade cuts it off" presumably below skin level. Causes ingrown whiskers, as well as lots of pain...:eek:
    Does anybody have video of those commercials??? Mark? (When your plumbing is all back together.) Would be a hoot to see them again...

13. Straight Arrow

I got two handles and ten cartridges from a fellow forum member for $10.00, shipping included. The handles are Lady Eversharps, one blue and one charcoal grey. I also have a Gillette Techmatic handle that I've been holding on to for quite a while. Luckily the Schick cartridges fit the Techmatic too. And yes, it is a kick. I love using old stock blades and find some of them to be among the best shaving blades.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Oh, yeah I can recall those adds but they take me back quite a ways. I was four when they started advertising those things.

Can someone tell me a bit about the banded razors? When were they first produced? When did the shave companies stop making them? I presume that the reason the shave companys stopped making them was that they oculd charge more dollars by chaning the razor. Can someone attach a photo of one. I have seen a techmatic but I have never seen one with a cartridge on it. Can someone show a photo of the cartridge. How does the banded ones work?

15. Hi All,
    Well, I guess it's time for the old geezer to chip in. Sigh.........I actually have used the Gillette Techmatic..........when it first came out. Yeah, I'd enlisted and that was the razor issued to us during basic training. They actually gave me a pretty decent shave, plus they were easy to use FAST. Hehe, there wasn't much time for shaving and those razors were difficult to cut yourself with when in a hurry. No DE or straight razors allowed at all. Not even sensors....heh.
    Anyway, it wasn't a bad shave at all for me.
    Martin

Oh......JB? The cartridges had a lever that you'd turn to 'dial' to the next unused piece of 'razor ribbon'. It was one continuous strip that was coiled up in the cartridge casing.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If I'm not mistaken, the ad posted in this thread shows the cartridge. The whole head of the razor is the cartridge, I believe.

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Why did Gillette stop making them. I presume becuase the figured that htey could get more of our hard earned dollars if they made non banded ones.

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You answered your own question.

19. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

Here's a few pics of my BAND-RAZOR, had one of these when I was 13 years old..... found one a few months ago and had to have it, though I will never use it...:D

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Straight Arrow

Very nice! Why not use it?