Thoughts on the Cadet safety razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Monkeylord, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Hello there folks, I'm curently in a bit of a dilemma. I am thinking of purchasing a cadet safety razors with an open comb head.[​IMG] This is what I have my eye on. I get pretty decent shaves from my Weishi 9306 but it takes at least 3 passes (2 wtg and 1 xtg) to get the same result as I do from a shavette with 2 wtg passes, so i'm thinking of going a bit more agressive. I didn't find much reviews on the web on it , but those I read have mostly positive things to say about it.
    So I would like your esteemed opinion on this one. The price on the b
    ay is 24$ (the shipping is 10 , but thats the price for living in Europe :D )

Sorry for the spelling I guess at least some of it is off :)

2. Monkeylord

I was also looking at Razorrock and even some Merkur razors in my price range (30$cca) but I generaly find that they either don't ship to Croatia or charge 30 bucks or more for shipping.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you looked for the razor on "shavebuck.com" they have a different head with that handle for $20.00 The handles they show with the open comb heads are different( a little beefier for one thing) and cost $23.99. I'm not sure what the shipping to you would be, but I think it could be worth it to you to take a look and ask about their shipping costs, certainly couldn't hurt..They also have Edwin Jagger 3 piece razors and sometimes Merkur..I've never used a "Cadet" 3 piece yet but I also have heard good things about them.:)

Monkeylord likes this.
  4. Monkeylord

Thanks for the info, I'll look up on "shavebuck", as for the beefier handles, I prefer I little more weight :)

5. Monkeylord

I just saw those Sabi razors on shavebuck, they look great, and hefty, but they seem to be out of stock, any info on where they can be purchased cause i can't find anything online?

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pretty sure, S.A.B.I =
    Shave
    A
    Buck
    Inc

Whether they are rebranded-some-other-brand razors I don't know.

PLANofMAN and Monkeylord like this.
  7. Monkeylord

I see what you did there :D
    Didn't think of that , thanks for the eye opener :D

PLANofMAN and Queen of Blades like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have an open comb TP26 and I am very happy with it. Not as aggressive as my R41 but still very 'efficient.'

9. 178-bplatoon

Rumor that I heard was Joe at "shaveabuck" wasn't doing business with the vendor that made the "Sabi" razor anymore. Which is unfortunate I have the T2 "Sabi" head and handle and it is "VERY" nice. I actually only bought it for the handle. Good knurling, nice weight and length. I've never found it sold anywhere else online. If you can ever snag one it's worth the price just for the handle...:)

Monkeylord likes this.
  10. Monkeylord

From what i read the weight on those things is awesome, and the looks ain't bad either, but alas they are non existent on the internet :p

11. 178-bplatoon

The weight,length and knurling are ABSOLUTELY fantastic!! The bottom will also uncsrew if you want the handle a little shorter. They look very much like one of the BRW handles I've seen. About the only way I.M.O. to make it better would be make it out of stainless.

12. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Pozdrav Majmun Gospodar,

I love the Cadet Open Comb, it is by far my favorite OC that I have owned, but be forewarned it is far more aggressive than the Weishi 9306 and most other razors.

The Cadet Closed Comb heads shaves identical to the R89/DE89, side by side I cannot tell the difference.

The OEM for Cadet is indeed making the RazoRock razors, it is too bad that Italian Barber will not ship to Hrvatska.

Regarding the Sabi T1 or T2 style razor. The T1 style razors are being sold by The New York Shaving Company, although not listed on their site as the Tonsorial Razor. The bad news is that they want $79.99 for it, which is more than three times the price that Sabi sold it for.

Monkeylord likes this.
  13. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

I have a gold Gillette Tech ball end that I use regularly that I would send you free of charge. When I cleaned the head with polish the finish came off and it is a lovely brass color. It is an open comb. I have pics of it in the SoS thread.

14. Monkeylord

Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping it's far more aggressive than the weishi :)
    btw. Gospodar Majmuna would be more accurate, but I love you for trying :D

15. Monkeylord

The offer is wonderful, and I appreciate the thought very much, but I'm not really fond of brass coloring, and I'm gonna get this for my birthday anyway m the GF was very kind to offer herself to buy it for me as a birthday gift :)

16. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have the resin handle Sabi listed here: http://shaveabuck.com/three-piece-razor-resin-handle-p-672.html

While I like the weight and thickness of the handle, it's rather slippery when wet. When unscrewing the handle to change blades it tends to come apart at the lower and upper handle (around the resin piece), rather than at the head. I need to get some lock-tite to fix that. I've also found the head to be very aggressive. Too aggressive for me, but I'll revisit it sometime next year. If it turns out I like the head then, I'll put a new handle on it.

I think one of the brush companies was selling the resin handled razors under their name, with a cheesy look to their name stamped on the resin handle, for about $80, but I can't recall who.

Monkeylord likes this.
  17. Monkeylord

Italian Barber ships to Croatia, and I guess I'm buying the RazoRock Jaws which seems to be the exact same safety razor sold on shaveabuck (even the weight is the same) for 14.99 and 9.5$ of shipping . Thats 10$ saved :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. redrako

redrako Active Member

I've been using the Cadet TP-26 open comb for about a month and am a big fan.

For me it's a nice aggressive razor which is very audible as it slices through whiskers. By "nice aggressive" I mean that it's not crazy aggresive like the 2011 Muhle R41, but is more aggresive than a Merkur 34c or all of my vintage Gillette (Fatboy, Slim, Red-tip superspeed, NEW oc)

The build quality is excellent with a heavy brass covered with a thick chrome. For the $24.99 plus a few bucks for shipping it's an excellent value. I'll certainly be trying other Cadets, most likely a safety bar version of this razor or it's chrome counterpart, the Cadet TP-27.

Monkeylord likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    More aggressive than a Fatboy adjustable razor? A Fatboy set on 9 is a real tiger and most people (from what I've read) don't go over 7. If you mean that it is more aggressive than your "normal" setting, that would make a bit more sense.
    Edit: Nevermind, I see that it's a very aggressive razor. I'll mark it off my list of things to think about buying...:)

20. redrako

redrako Active Member

As always YMMV. After my first few years of wet shaving I found that I leaned towards the more aggressive razors; Gillette Fat Boy and Slim on 7, Merkur 34C with Derbys and Super-max super plats. As much as I like the look of vintage Techs and Red-tips they don't really cut it for me. Same thing with SE's, I love the look of the 1912, but the Micromatic open comb is the cat's mow for me. I can shave well with a 2011 R41, but it demands great attention (and is not really fun for me).

I know that these more mild razors are fine shavers and work well for many people - just not me.

The Cadet open comb works well for me (Today I tried a Super-max Super Plat in it and it was the best razor blade combination yet), yet I wouldn't consider it to be a super aggressive razor. At some point, I'll try the same razor with a closed comb (I'm intrigued by Azarian's comment about it being similar to the R/DE-89 family of razors.

PLANofMAN and Monkeylord like this.