Olaf Rasmussen Surgical Prep Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by drew23, Jan 16, 2013.

1. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Anyone else use one? Bought mine at a antique store and really like it. Heavy, long handled, aggressive. Pics as requested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hembree, gorgo2, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First I'm hearing about it.
    But as it goes around here, unless you show us the pics to prove it, none of us for one minute will believe you have one! :p

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Pics please.

4. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Pics are posted.

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That's sweet looking. I wouldn't mind finding one of those.

6. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Been trying to find another (not sure why I need two) but, I have not had any luck. May be hard to find.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I make the rounds at several heavy-duty antique malls and shops; the closest I've ever seen to that are the disposable plastic ones...usually used. :sick007:

'tis and excellent find, sir. :happy088: Your shave review with it will be most anticipated!

8. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I love when things are obviously for a given purpose yet someone feels the need to label what it is in big block letters. I remember belonging to one gym and they had this giant, 19800s water fountain, yet felt the need to affix a plastic sign to the front that said WATER FOUNTAIN. Kind of like Batman's need to label everything in his cave in the 60s show despite the fact he lived there. I've heard that was a mild shaver. YMMV I guess.

ohpaos and vinthechin12 like this.
  9. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

This design is obviously stamped sheet metal. These seems like something someone could do to produce a ss razor on the cheap.

10. drew23

drew23 Active Member

I digress, the more I shave with my other razors the more I learn about the aggressiveness of the razors. This is a fairly mild shaver. Think they may have labeled it so the doctors knew what it was for. I have seen a few that needed everything labeled LOL.

11. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

Very cool man! I love the stamping and the minimalist look!

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That's a very cool razor. What a find, I'm sure there aren't many of those in the wild.

13. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Try shimming it someday.

14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

In the Greek Army had in hospitals a model for purpose like this
    Was a Bic plastic,the Green one
    For head shaving, if you tried to shave your face a nasty cut was for sure.

15. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Ok, showing how much of a noob I am. What is shimming? On to the search function.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shimming is the art of stacking DE blades that have had the sharp edges trimmed off, to produce a more aggressive shave when an uncut blade is placed on top of the trimmed blades.

17. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Now I have something else to mess with. Thanks guys.;)

18. Mark Rasmussen

Mark Rasmussen New Member

I have one of these also i have used it since I made it in 1977. Olaf was my grandfather. We have discussed recently going back into business making these.

19. Mark Rasmussen

Mark Rasmussen New Member

We still have some of the safety razors. Thay are slightly different and the handle has a lock in it so you cannot get the blade out without a key. they were sold to prisons and institutions.

TobyC, Troy M, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber