Tutorial Video; What is the "Shave Test"?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by gssixgun, Apr 23, 2013.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This is a quick demo of what is meant by the term "Shave Test" the objective is the test the edge of the razor, it is not to test the shaving technique of a new user..
    The razor should cut through the beard from Sideburn to Jawline without hesitation, pulling, tugging, or pain, the results should actually surprise you with how smooth the face is.. There should be virtually no hair left behind.. If you cannot achieve this easily then there is no reason to try the rest of the face, this pass is the easiest on the face, the rest just gets more difficult...
    This is also a good starting point for new Straight Razor shavers, learn the easy flat sides of the face and then finish with your old way of shaving, gradually work your way out into the more difficult areas of the face, as you gain proficiency with the SR..

(The razor is a Dovo "Best Quality" 6/8 Round point Full Hollow grind, that is the sound they make when cutting a beard)

Thanks for watching and I hope that helps a bit...

Now for the rest of the story, the wife had already gone to bed before I did the vid, she has actually never seen me in the 22 years we have been together with a fully clean shaved face... Should be a interesting morning tomorrow [​IMG]

casephios, Karl G, Jim99 and 12 others like this.
  2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Great video, really informative also. I'm not to straights but enjoyed watching this.

Karl G likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good stuff! Thanks Glen.

Karl G likes this.
  4. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Update: The chances of Glen staying clean shaven as per the wife = Zero, Nada, Zip her words "How fast till it grows back" [​IMG]

(Shhhhh I think it is because it makes me look younger)

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I was gonna watch the video later, but the above got me to watch it now.
    Then I got to the end of the video. :prrr:

Other than that; great video!

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Hehehe Sorry JoAnna I guess I should have done the whole shave on camera just for the fun of it :) but in my head I was thinking there are tons of full shave vids out there, but very few/any that simply define the "Shave Test"

Karl G and GDCarrington like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sure, but how many of those other videos reveal the uncharted territory which is the legendary gssixgun's chin. :rofl:

Karl G, GDCarrington, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  8. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Thanks for the video Glen!

gssixgun likes this.
  9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Great video, very informative, many thanks Glen!!

10. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Thanks for the video Glen, glad someone finally explained what a test shave really was. Been doing the whole face per razor when doing a test shave, now I can test at least two razors per shave.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Thanks for the video. I'm brand new to this so I need all I can get.

12. J. Stuhr

J. Stuhr New Member

As informative as the example of the definition of 'shave test' this was, I also found your technique for lathering, cleaning off and lathering the face again interesting. I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the post!

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent video tutorial Glen! :happy096:

14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Very good video, I have the urge again to try my straight again, maybe I'm more experienced now versus last year.

15. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

To be honest, and give credit where it is due, David the Barber in Denver that taught me how to use a SR back in 1981-82, used that technique with the very first SR shave he gave me, the way he explained it to me made sense so I have used it ever since... :D

J. Stuhr and GDCarrington like this.
  16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like the wood beams in your bathroom. Looks like a true Idaho cabin

David Green and Ceferguson like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I suspect this whole Idaho mountain man is a ruse by Glen to keep us all on our toes.
    I believe Glen actually lives in a beachfront condo in Malibu, and truth be told, he really shaves with Schick Quattro...:D

GDCarrington and cubancigar2000 like this.
  18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That's funny right there. I hope he lives in Idaho because then I would not have to send some work so far away

19. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Great tutorial!

20. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member