Progression to A Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Barrylu, Apr 13, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

What's your straight razor journey status now?

2. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask. I am expecting my second Cobra today. The Feather SS was sold on e-bay to a gentleman in Jacksonville Florida and should be delivered today.
    The best shaves I get are with a Cobra razor, Simpson Chubby S 2, any DR Harris soap or MWF. The Cobra is often on back order and very difficult to come by. I started to panic. What if my Cobra breaks, gets stolen in the middle of the night, or becomes incapacitated?
    So I sold the SS which I never could get to shave without leaving my face resembling raw hamburger and bought the back-up Cobra. Now what do I do if both get stolen etc? Might need a third.
    I am still shaving with the Dovo every day. I can now do a three pass shave. My shaves have improved remarkably. Especially, since I discovered Chromium Oxide paste. However, I still have to finish up some areas with the Cobra. I intend to continue with the Dovo until I am comfortable using a straight and can get a BBS shave with it. I have promised myself I am through buying razors after today's delivery of the second Cobra. However I will be in Germany in November. How can one come back from Germany without another straight razor?

feeltheburn, ohpaos and JRod22 like this.
  3. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Also, perhaps another Cobra to be kept in my safe deposit,at the bank, in case anything happens to the first two.

feeltheburn likes this.
  4. I have kind of admired this sexy piece of hardware for a while; I want to try a Feather or clone, but would like to see (ideally try ...) one before I pull the trigger on one. What do you think of it, and why scales, as opposed to the fixed-handle version?

5. lindyhopper66

6. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I chose scales over the fixed-handle thinking the blade would be protected when not in use. I think the fixed handle version would be slightly easier to use. I may end up with a Kamisori style razor some day.

7. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

If you end up getting a Kamisori style Feather Artist Club RG or DX (not SS) or a clone with the same shape head, I recommend the plastic blade cover by Feather. It's about $6 at razorbladesandmore.com, which also carries FAC & KAI Capitan Titan blades. You can usually find a coupon code as well. image.jpg

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

What's the purpose of the blade cover pictured?

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

To protect the user & blade (if kept in the razor between uses). Oldtrout mentioned wanting to try a Kamisori-style blade holder, but going with the folding handle to keep the blade protected. I don't keep my razors in the bathroom, so it's just an extra safety measure so I don't injure myself or others while en route :D. It may also help when travelling (if by plane, checked baggage only). I put the cap on after thoroughly drying the head/blade.

10. lindyhopper66

So this see through plastic bit clips on over the Feather razor? That is handy. I have a Sam Seong (Feather DX clone) and wonder if it would clip on to it. I have no problem with the blade grabbing me, but would handy if I traveled with it, so the blade wouldn't get dulled in a bag or luggage.

11. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

The cap is sturdy & really tailored to the Feather DX/RG Non-folder. I actually use it for my CJB Non-folder, but the fit is a little tight around the handle, which does not meet the head at the same angle as the FAC. I can't say if it will work with the Sam Seong's handle, though we know the actual head is very similar to the Feather DX/RG. If you are handy, you may be able to carefully modify the edge that surrounds the handle. (I plan to do with my cover since the tightness around the CJB handle may eventually cause cracks in the plastic). These pics from TSN show the clasp & fit with the FAC RG/DX. (FAC SS definitely won't work with this cover) image.jpg image.jpg

swarden43 likes this.
  12. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Now you've piqued my curiosity. Let me guess, you keep them in the attic! In the garage? The mailbox?

It must be somewhere children can't access.

13. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:happy102: The gear stays in my briefcase, so I can oogle everything at work. :D

Naw, my shave gear, soaps, lotions & girly stuff (nail polish, hair stuff & make up) live in a small Ikea Helmer chest that I modified (mesh backing for air flow). It has wheels, but usually lives in an alcove in the bedroom. No kids yet, just an odd kitty that eats first & asks questions later :p
    image.jpg