cigars, scotch and shaving

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by michael54, Mar 10, 2013.

1. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

When I have a few very stressful days at work my relaxation is as of late a very slow methodical shave. Followed by a glass of scotch and a great cigar. It's funny because I'm only 29 but that's the best thing in the world for me to calm down and relax. Before shaving it was just the cigar and whiskey. What are you guys favorite relaxing processes?

Keithmax, HolyRollah, ohpaos and 3 others like this.
  2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

For me it´s almost the same.Only without the cigar.I endet smokin two years ago.But a good Whiskey after a terrific shave...in combination with your favorite music.There´s nothing to it!!! NOTHING!!!

From time to time i read a book instead of listening to music.Sitting on my couch,sippin´a cup of coffee and read a good book.I love it!!!:)

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Like many on this forum, I manage stress by painting my nails. :p

A long run helps me relax, as does a long hot shower. Visiting TSD always helps too!

4. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

I also find a nice slow shave relaxing. I crank some nice west coast Jazz to really feel the mellow. After a long hot shower there's nothing that else that centres me quite so profoundly. Smoking is no longer part of my life, but Scotch is!

Weishi Warrior and ChiefShaver like this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Visiting TSD helps too...that´s right!!!:happy093:Or doing some "test-lather" with some soaps and enjoy the scent of the different soaps...Yummy!!!

srpavko, ohpaos and Weishi Warrior like this.
  6. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Running is too much like exercise for me lol. The only time I run anymore is away from possible injury at work haha

ChiefShaver and ohpaos like this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

An application of the right cologne, or lighting a good scented candle, can help me relax.

If that doesn't work, I'll get lost in a book.

If I'm too stressed to immerse myself in a book, I'll try a long walk or some other exercise.

If none of the above are working or viable, I may just reach for my Laphroaig. :eatdrink047:

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Making the hang around here is a great stress reliever...a great shave followed with a great Scotch would have to be right up there...:) Now days that would be a Single Edge Shave followed with a Single Malt...and of course listening to some Great Jazz is mandatory at my place...Miles, Chet, Kenny Dorham, Diz, etc.....;)
    So lets see: :lam: then:bath:then:shaverthen:eatdrink047:& :sexe:

Hmmm sounds like a plan.....;)

srpavko, ohpaos and feeltheburn like this.
  9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

When I was younger, a long slow run or a short fast one followed by either 12 rounds with a heavy bag or a workout. If it was a Friday afternoon....golf.
    and by younger I mean before 45 46 and all the junk in my back went sideways.

srpavko likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I DO find something very peaceful about what you describe as..."a very slow methodical shave." Maybe its the intentionality of the act—the following of a daily regimen where one pampers oneself in the grooming. Wet Shaving requires some level of concentration, yet still allows one's mind to ponder other not-so-vital issues while gazing in the mirror ("Is that another grey hair?"). If I've had a hard a long, arduous day, in the evening i'll escape to take a hot shower and have another good shave. I feel refreshed afterwards (mission accomplished!), smell great, and still look pretty stinkin' good too (according to my wife, at least, but she may be biased).;)

Other modes of relaxation: playing my guitar. I don't sing, but I can pluck a few tunes...cheaper than therapy, too.
    Cigars & whiskey I save for the night out with the guys—which happens only about every 6 months.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A bath with nice, scented bath salts relaxes me. Also, when I can, shooting some arrows is really relaxing.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Outdoors, I hope....

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No, at an indoor range.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Where I work has been incredibly stressful nearly every day for many years. A nice, relaxing shave in the morning helps make the start of the day a little more mellow. It makes me chilled during the drive to work. To relax after work, I often have a glass of craft beer or wine with a good dinner. There are great wineries nearby and regionally, so very nice wines are both affordable and readily available. Sometimes I will have a glass of cognac, either with a bit of artisan chocolate or by itself.

There are dozens of restaurants within walking distance, many of which are very good. When eating out, I take a shower and have a leisurely shave, so as to be very relaxed and happy, as well as neat and clean. Followed by a great meal, especially if with friends, it is a fantastic stress reliever to be sure.

On weekends, I occasionally take a hike in the woods or head out to the coast, both of which give me peace.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

I don't relax......ever. Wish I could.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Spending time with my good friends and/or family while drinking a nice alcoholic beverage. For me it doesn't get better. Shopping for a "new" vintage razor is a nice retreat too.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

yes. alcohol....I had something I liked better for most of my life..... sitting in the backyard after a run as it grew dark on a summer evening with said mood enhancer, watching the birds play in the sprinkler...........then along came the kids and out it went. until they leave for college. say hello to my little friend.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

all kidding aside...the slow methodical shave is very relaxing....Also one of my favorites is a boat ride...here in Istanbul I love those Bosphorus Tours....Also I love swimming, Beach style, Mediterranean type, salt water...

Out door summer Jazz Concerts...laying in the grass listening to great music...

But when in the fast paced urban business environment, an evening on the Balcony listening to Jazz sipping a Single-Malt or well made Mohito can assist a kick-back....

GlennConti likes this.
  19. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

another jazz fan I see? Who do you listen to?

20. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Perhaps the best explanation that I've heard on the "why" it is so enjoyable. Concur, even though I have to concentrate a bit more than most probably....I am a new guy.