Cigar Today, Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Aedan382, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I personally think the Cuban seed cigars from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Honduras are as good if not better than today's Cubans. Most of the best blenders left Cuba with a seed pouch. I admit I have only smoked 10-12 Cubans, but I don't think they are as big a deal today as they were in the 1950's and before.

I am still with my $3.00 5 Vegas Classics: "A robust and creamy medium to full-bodied taste, extensive aging, and a nice blend of Cuban seed Nicaraguan and Dominican long leaves, all wrapped in a dark and rich Sumatra wrapper leaf."

I spent several years trying to find a $3 stick that would keep up with the big boys.....YMMV.

[​IMG]

KLF and Ryan B like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Good point. But smoking one hookah is like smoking 100 cigarettes. So I've read.

3. Ryan B

I'm probably going to get shot, but I thought Cubans were kind of overrated. I think the cool factor comes from it being illegal for so long. You know with the trade embargo and all that jazz about communist countries.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Well Cubans are totally legal in Canada and anytime I go through a Duty Free shop I'll look at the deals.
    Cubans are all I buy now because I found some that I like. Although the Cohiba is very well know and tasty, it's not for me, too strong. I prefer the Romeo & Julietta because of its smoothness and great aroma.
    Now I don't know much about cigars, but what I've had that wasn't from Cuba (Dominican, US, Canadian, Europe) just doesn't compare in terms of quality and taste. Of course it comes at a price...

5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

That seems unlikely, and very dependent on a number of variables, like the strength of the cigarettes vs. the hookah tobacco's strength, any filtration system used with the hookah (there are a couple options, if memory serves), etc.

6. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I'm with you on this one. I never cared for them but I'm not really into the dark wrapper cigars.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I always heard a wad of already chewed chewing tobacco was good for a wasp sting. Does that count?

8. Iacchus

Iacchus Member

Rough day. Daughter is off visiting her mom tonight, so I'm kicking back with a Pardon and some Bourbon. Might even crack open that warren ellis short story I bought weeks back.
    Nothing quite like a fine cigar and rye-heavy Whiskey to soothe those frayed ends.

9. Norberto

Norberto New Member

No stogie today but a nice bowl full of McClelland Tastemasters!

10. Ryan B

Does anyone sit around and chew on cigars? If I am the only one, I understand I am crazy. After I've smoked all I've wanted, I let it burn out; and chew what's left.

11. ksb63

ksb63 Active Member

My dad chews on his and has for as long as I can remember. Almost always cheaper cigar, but not the cheap swisher sweets.

12. Iacchus

Iacchus Member

Had a Pepin Blue Generoso while cutting grass today. Quite nice, but was my last one. I need to get some more of those.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As per my bi-annual tradition of having a cigar with good friends during our guy's getaway weekend, out came the stogies!

I had the opportunity to try a Casa Magna Colorado Robusto, a Nicaraguan beauty that was unlike many of the previous cigars I have sampled. Definitely a 'full-flavored' cigar but more sweet than bitter.
    All four of us enjoyed these cigars, accompanied by several generous lowball glasses of 20-year old Pappy's family reserve bourbon. The hefty cigars lasted for several hours, enjoyed them well into the early morning hours. Good times.

[​IMG]

RetLEO-07, offroad64 and Norseman like this.
  14. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have been known to smoke a cigar or two, but not more than that.
    Despite being a (fanatical) non smoker, I do find smoking a good cigar in good company very enjoyable. Too bad it only happens once every leap year or so

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:drool::drool:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: Paired with a bourbon like that it must have been heavenly

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Your description applies to me as well. Not unlike the manly-process of wet-shaving the face, the camaraderie of cigars, a quality adult beverage and good company can truly make for a very enjoyable time.

Norseman likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I am more of a 'good gin' imbiber (martini), but the smooth, smokiness of a top-shelf bourbon just matches perfectly with a good cigar.

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Y'all have inspired me. I am headed outside to enjoy the cool temps and a relaxing cigar.

[​IMG]

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

What can I say? We're all enablers here.....;)
    Enjoy!

20. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

My sister sent me this for my birthday. Unfortunately, I had a tooth pulled recently and haven't been able to smoke it.My luck by the time my mouth heals it will be too cold to go outside and really enjoy it.
    Havanna Cigar 003.JPG