Open comb vs. closed comb razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Being new to wet shaving with a safety razor, I was just wondering what the big difference is between the the two designs of open comb and closed comb. Any insight is appreciated.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Design only. Close your eyes and shave and there is no way to tell the difference. Some theorise the OC helps guide longer whiskers to the blade edge. Maybe if your beard is two inches long, but I doubt even three days growth would make a noticeable difference.

BeShaved, alpla444 and Dark Vapor like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree with Steve's comments. I switch between OC and CC razors and if blindfolded when shaving (NOT something I plan on doing anytime soon!), I would be hard pressed to say which was OC or not.

A bigger difference between razors, in my observations, is the amount of 'blade gap' each razor has. The greater the gap, the more blade is exposed to the skin, and thus a greater risk of nicks and cuts. This 'aggressiveness' can be problematic for folks new to wet-shaving, but for more experienced shavers, greater blade exposure can afford a better/closer shave. OC razors can be aggressive; some CC razors are as well. Yet some open combs are considered mild shavers.

alpla444 and Dark Vapor like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have a very coarse beard and in general closed comb razors, new and vintage did not provide as close of a shave as open combs new or vintage. I suspect that might be a general truth for the coarsely bearded only.

alpla444, Barrylu, Ryan B and 2 others like this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've never tried an OC razor, but one of these days I will.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Open combs don't get clogged. Other than that, there is no difference.

...closed is cheaper to produce than open, you do the math.

BeShaved and Dark Vapor like this.
  7. swarden43

I courteously disagree. The only reason I've had a razor clog is because my lather was too thick, then it clogged up under the blade. Didn't matter in those cases if it was an OC or CC.

PLANofMAN and Dark Vapor like this.
  8. JSJS4

JSJS4 Member

I have yet to use an open comb razor, but I have one on the way, and will be able to weigh in on the subject soon.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use both an OC and a CC/Solid Bar everyday and find no particular difference in aggression...My OC is a Cadet with a Sabi T2 handle and my CC/SB is a Weber DLC with a Griestshaving brass(unplated) "FAT" handle...I.M.O. the handle weight and blade exposure, more than the comb type determines the aggression level of a safety razor....It is also my understanding changing the comb type from primarily OC to primarily CC/SB was an effort to simplify manufactoring and save production costs more than for any "GREAT" improvement in shaving...:) I've never had any problem with either comb type clogging, even with a 2-3 day beard growth, although normally I shave everyday...:shaver

Dark Vapor and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Have you ever tried to remove three months worth of beard growth with a closed comb?

11. swarden43

Nope. Got me there.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    To be fair, there are a few closed comb razors that can handle a couple of month's growth in one go as well, notably the Shake Sharp and some of the old SE razors, so I wasn't entirely correct either. :)

13. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i tried both and thought both were ok.
    i thought the Fatip razor open comb was really nice...just thought the handle was too light.

i ended up sticking with a closed comb razor...no real difference between the two from my trials.

14. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I generally go between both open and closed combed on a regular basis. However, when I do have some growth, say a week plus then I reach for an open comb when it's time to come off. It really does allow for better removal as well as allowing the hairs that have been removed to move through the razor better (it stays unclogged better). Of course this is my experience YMMV.

15. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I have found my OC is a little more aggressive in the trouble areas other than that I think there the same.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ouch! With any razor. I'd have to reduce my whiskers with a hedge trimmer.

PLANofMAN and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

One thing I have found with an OC is that when shaving close to my beard I have to be a little more careful the rake tines of the OC tend to grab and pull the longer beard hair into the blade and can mess up my lines. the CC did not do this.