Israeli Personnas - Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LifesShort, Oct 25, 2013.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Right now on eBay, there are several different brands of blades that are listed as Israeli Personnas. They are Q-Ball, Crystal, Royal, Viking's Sword, Tomy, and Personna (red). Is there any difference between these blades, or should I just buy the one that is cheapest?

I am currently using a Crystal blade that another member PIF'd to me and I'm really liking it. I'm getting great shaves with it. I'm getting ready to make a bulk purchase of them, but couldn't help but wonder if these blades are all the same.

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, the Crystal is the Israeli Personna. Viking is made by the same Israeli plant, and though I have never used one I understand they are identical. Unless someone is pulling a fast one, the Personna Reds are also the Israeli blade. Can't speak to the others. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

LifesShort likes this.
  3. JSJS4

JSJS4 Member

I don't have a basis for comparison, but I will say that the Viking is a nice blade.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just got some Q-Ball and Tomy blades specifically to try out and I've used them all this week...My go to(daily use) blades are Viking's Sword and Astra SP's....So here's a mini review if you will...
    Tomy: Blade started rough,but actually seemed to smooth out buy the end of the week(strange)...The blade gave me a very Derby feeling shave however, neither close nor comfortable....I barely made the week with it...I didn't like it and as the price is the same as the Viking's Sword, I wouldn't recommend it over VS of course YMMV....

Q-Ball: I found this blade rather Viking's Sword like, although I like the VS better...I find the VS smoother and shaves closer than the Q-Ball...I could replace the VS with the Q-Ball, but only if the price favored the Q-Ball blade "Greatly" otherwise I'd stick with the VS blades....:)

LifesShort likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Let me add "LifesShort" I've used the Israeli Red and Blue(Cyrstal) Personna's, as well as Store Branded Personna's,Med and Lab preps..Of those considering price as well as preformance I like the Viking's Sword the best..It's become my go-to blade....:)

LifesShort likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I will add that as much as you like a blade now, hold off on bulk purchases for a bit and try a few more brands.

7. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Grab the sample pack of Q-Ball, Viking's Sword, Tomy and make your own call. I have found them to be all outstanding blades but YMMV.:happy088:

Ryan B and LifesShort like this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

+1. That's how I found my go to blades ( Personna Lab, Med Prep, Polsiver SI, Viking Sword.) Different blades work differently for everyone. I for one can't use most platinum coated blades. Something about them irritates my skin very badly and makes me break out.

9. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I just had a go with both the Crystal and Viking Sword. I even used them simultaneously in a Merkur HD and noticed a substantial difference between the two.
    I found the crystal to be the sharper blade, and also slightly smoother. The Viking Sword still felt like a good blade, but it will not replace the Crystal as a top three blade.

Furthermore, in a recent article by Mantic, he compared the Crystal with the Israeli Personna Blue and also found them to be different.
    I always assumed these where the same blade, but I guess not.

Mr. LifesShort. One blade of the Viking Sword blade is already on its way to you now. If you haven't tried it yet, you can make your own comparison.

LifesShort likes this.
  10. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Thanks, Norseman! I've been wanting to try a Viking Sword, but haven't purchased any yet. Now I have another reason to wait by the mailbox!

Norseman likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Different brands from the same factory may have different specs or they might all be exactly the same with different wrappers. Only with info directly from the manufacturer or an electron microscope will we know for sure.

LifesShort likes this.
  12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Somewhere out there on the web, there is a microscope study of different DE blade edges. I think it was done through Badger and Blade. It's a bunch of years old but I think it included Personna Reds and Crystals. Those two are different and distinct blades. I prefer Personna Reds.

LifesShort likes this.
  13. richgem

You are correct, it was one of the guys over at B&B.

LifesShort likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I thought it was Squire at SMF.

15. richgem

Maybe similar articles then. I was never an SMF member, so I wouldn't remember it from there.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's the one I was thinking of.

17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Yep. I'm certain Squire's work what was I remembered.

Looks like I mislead the penguin. Sorry, rich. :)

18. richgem

/sob

(tho I'm still holding out for my memory of reading it at b&b)

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

20. richgem

PanChango and LifesShort like this.