EJ DE89lbl vs Parker 99r

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Feb 20, 2014.

?

Which would YOU use?

1. Edwin Jagger DE89L

92.3%
  2. Parker 99R

7.7%
  1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I'm looking into some long handled razors (I haven't really even started with a safety razor yet but I'm already obsessed and looking for my second!) and I'm considering a couple different ones: EJ DE89L and Parker 99R. Both are about the same price on amazon ($32-$35) and I've seen good reviews on either. Which would you choose for yourself and why?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've never used a Parker. My first razor is the EJDE89. The quality is top notch, it's just a great razor. On the mild side, but that's what you need while you work on technique. You won't be disappointed with Edward Jagger.

3. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

The DE89 is just a phenomenal head. It is still in my rotation to this day. I dont think you will find a better early stage de safety razor. The great part is its great when you are relatively new at this and it stays great no matter how long you have been doing it. Needless to say I voted the DE89! lol

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

First realize all razors are different, especially these two as one the EJ89 is a 3 piece and the other the Parker 99R is a TTO, so they are completely different types of safety razor..
    A better comparison would probably be between an EJ89 and a Merkur 34C or Vintage Gillette Fat Handle Tech...For the Parker 99R the comps would be a Cadet TTO(there are various different ones) and a vintage Gillette SuperSpeed or Aristocrat...
    That said your face will determine which razor suits you best...Thats one of the good/bad parts of "traditional" shaving "a customized shave".. "One size doesn't fit all!!"....
    I voted for the EJ89 as I have one and happily used it for 2 years until I "stepped up" to stainless steel with the Weber DLC shave head, paired with a BullDog handle..I know the EJ89 is capable of delivering a "GREAT" shave!! :)

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree. I also have two Parkers: a three piece and a TTO. They do not compare to the shave I get with the DE89. The 94R is just too aggressive, and the 60R (TTO) is aggressive on one side and mild on the other side unless you take care to align the blade when closing. You can't go wrong with the DE89. That said, I would probably give the RazoRock Mission a go for the price. http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mission-3piece-double-edge-de-safety-razor

6. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

Seems everyone's going for the Edward Jagger DE89, and a Merkur 34C both are mild the Merkur more so for me anyway. Not tried a Parker yet, but as a relative newbie, even at my age, I've found it's not just about the razor, it's a combination of a lot of individuals brought together, that give me a better shave. So my point is yes I would go with the EJDE89L but it would depend on your skin, pre shave routine, blade ( Astra SP works better for me in the EJ89 than it does in the Merkur), so 30 day rule and change one thing at a time to see what suits you best. Good Luck & Enjoy..

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Sounds like so far the consensus is the EJ. The other thing I'm going to do is get a razor sampler to try different blades in each razor. Thanks everyone! I'll also look into some of the other suggestions that have been thrown out there

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Excellent choice of safety razors I.M.O. As large a blade sample pack as you can afford is definately a "MUST"!!! The more different blades you can try the better, inorder to find the "BEST" blades for your face,razor and technique...:happy088:

Just let me say for the record the Merkur 34C is also a good razor....My main problem with it is the fact that as a 2 piece razor there is less ability to change things like the handle....A handle change can make an "EXTREMELY" big change in feel and handling of a given razor....Example when I got my EJ it was a gift and it came with the bl handle....It was all but unusable for me....Then I took advantage of the 3 piece's ability to change handles....It was like I had an entirely new safety razor and it caused the EJ to jump from an unusual razor to the top of my razor roster and stay there......:)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Great. Now I have 3 more razors coming from this place. I now have 6 razors coming in the mail now. You guys and your recommendations are lightening my wallet and worrying my wife. That will make 8 new ones this year so far. Considering I haven't bought very many the last couple of years I was probably due anyway.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I own both of these razors and can only agree with what has already been said. You have to decide what works best for you and your beard and your wallet. If I had to choose only one of these 2 razors it would be the Edwin Jagger, no hesitation. However I would put it further down the line from my Weber and the fat handle tech. You may have a completely different list. Keep trying different blades and razors until you find the perfect combination.

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. Rustym

Rustym Member

I just bought my first DE razor this past week and used it for the first time. While I can't give you advice based on experience, I can tell you that I was looking at the same two razors you're looking at. In the end I bought the EJ DE 89 based on lots of reviews and comparisons. I'm glad I did as it seems to be very high quality. The first time I used it I was apprehensive but did not nick myself or anything else. I'm happy I got this one. Just my .02.