Tutorial Video: How I lather Williams

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Justin Linker, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
    Minaton, Shekky, BigD and 12 others like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very nice video Justin..I'm also a Williams fan....We need more videos on the joy and ease of lathering Williams...

I totally agree with your assement about your bowl..I have one the same shape(with a pedistal) only it's plastic, but it works really well!! I prefer a bowl over a mug, although I also prefer bowl lathering over face lathering.....:)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well done Justin. :happy088: Now if I could only get past the smell :sick007:

Justin Linker likes this.
  4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very nice video Justin. I also noticed your brush was nothing more than an inexpensive VDH Boar brush. Excellent job!

Justin Linker likes this.
  5. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

That's actually one of the reasons why I was able to work with this. I find that Williams performs a whole lot better with a stiffer brush. I couldn't imagine using a soft badger would work with this. Maybe that's where most people's problems come from. I definitely recommend using a boar for Williams. One of the keys to success.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Bro tip: Williams is also good in super/über lathers. Williams + Real Shaving Co + Glycerin = Yummy

Leclec13 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. clk

clk Member

Well done. You said your favorite soap was VDH. I melted a puck of VDH DeLux and added a grated puck of Williams. Wah Lah . . . . Van der Williams, the best of glycerine and Tallow.:happy093:

7. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Well done, and helpful.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I gave up on trying to get a rich not airy lather on a new Williams puck, but after watching your video will try again.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Boars and stouter synthetics (think of the Kent Infinity Silvertex) work well with current Williams soap.

The key is to get enough product when you first start working it, and the second is a clothespin for those who cannot handle the smell.
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry Steve, I could not resist.)

Excellent work Justin!

PatrickA51 and swarden43 like this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

This was en excellent video. It will come in handy during Williams week.
    I have only tried lathering this soap once, and I was not successful.
    With this video at my disposal, I will be better prepared next time.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing :)

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Great video, Justin.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Well done ; Justin Your series of videos and reviews is eye opening.

13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I am new to this site and back to a DA shave after many years. I'm just getting the bug to stop using canned gel so your video was a great help. Thanks!

14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I just read this again. Great comments guys.;) :happy096: :signs011::wave: :shaver:pics:

15. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but there can't be enough Williams lovers. I'll add my own lather video for Williams
    20140327 060709:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    BigD and PatrickA51 like this.
  16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Y'all must love the Williams, to spend all that time on it. I'm new to shave soap and would like to ask if this is about average to work a soap up well? Also what soaps would you recommend for me to try.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. 3 sheets 2 the wind

3 sheets 2 the wind New Member

I'm glad you guys posted these videos and comments regarding Williams, I't seems to get a bad rap along with Derby blades.

The Williams brand must have a loyal following. I worked in pharmacies for over twenty five years starting in the late eighties. I saw d.e. shaving items disappear off the shelves, first the Gillette super speed then the Schick injector followed by there blades, the last soldier standing was Williams shave soap. I must try the soap that survived the dark days of d.e. shaving!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I think your scenario about the last soldier standing is why there is so much interest in Williams. Plus, it's an American product that has been around since 1840.

Personally, I find that it does require more time and effort to whip up the Williams in comparison to other soaps currently available. The original Williams (before Combe bought the company) was easy and fast for me to lather, and despite Combe's denials, I believe they have downgraded the formula.

Others disagree, so rather than try to push my opinion on others I suggest to anyone who is curious to try it for themselves. The store that carries it where I live sells it for 99 cents a puck.

Since you asked for a recommendation I really like the wheat shaving cream sold by this forum in the Iced with the extra menthol for cooling effect. The wheat is really good for sensitive skin. I just re-ordered some for the summer.

PatrickA51 and Omelmad like this.
  19. shavemenot

shavemenot New Member

don't you think you're using too much water?

20. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Williams is thirsty soap. More water = better lather

BlaydRunner and crackstar like this.