How long does one blade for Gillette Fusion last?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by venom0706, Mar 28, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

For those shaving with Gillette Fusion (Manual) - For how many shaves does one blade last, before it gets dull? Thank you.

Mister Fizz likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The answer is the same for all blades - cartridges, double edge, single edge, even straight razors...

Only your face can tell you how long a blade will last. When it starts to tug and pull, it is time for a new blade. Some folks get one or two, some get five to seven, some even more.

richgem likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

For me, they feel dull from the first stroke. The good news is at least they keep that level of sharpness for a long time :)

4. Grick

Grick Active Member

Having a heavy beard, I get about 15 bbs shaves with the manual and 25 with the power due to its better coating.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Don't know, never used one and have no plans to do so.

6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Regardless of the format, for me a blade is done with as soon it starts to nick and cut.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

When I used the Fusion (Power) I got weeks of daily shaves out of each cartridge. Not DFS, but serviceable shaves. I would milk those for every stroke (ok, I just read that...oops). I think three weeks or so was average lifetime for me. They'd be pretty dull by the time I replaced them.

ObiDon likes this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

If it starts to pull the hairs out instead of cut, then it's time to change the blade.

I haven't used a Fusion in years and really don't plan using one again.

crackstar likes this.
  9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

The problem I found with fusion cartridges had nothing to do with the sharpness of the blade but rather the plastic strip on the cartridge which is the only real source of slickness to the shave. For the first week it is great and the blade glides around your face. Then that plastic strip is already becoming useless, as Gillette shave gel doesn't really give much lubrication you rely on the plastic strip to give slickness for your shave. Now that after a week the strip is no longer working, this would be the best time to change the blade, but you can't , cos you told the wife 'Look it says on the box that these four cartridges will last about 24 weeks so it is worth all the money.' Which meant I got one week of great, wonderful shaves and then five weeks dragging a lump of dry metal across my face.

ninjack likes this.
  10. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I have calculated my monthly expenses on cartridges and all I want is a Fusion blade to last around 2 weeks for everything to be ok. Do you think this is possible?

11. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

Mine has lasted about three months now because of lack of use

jeraldgordon and Norseman like this.
  12. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

the plastic strip you're referring to is how Gillette wants you to know when it's time for a new one.

i think you'll have to test it out and see if it will last two weeks for your beard. It's possible.

13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

The only way to find out is to try one and see. I found the first week great and the second week bearable, you might find both weeks to be fantastic or awful. One mans pleasure can be another mans pain. For what it's worth I could get about three weeks of shaves out of one cartridge. YMMV.
    May I ask if you have ever thought of using safety razors? They are a lot cheaper than using fusion cartridges and IMHO give a more comfortable shave.

Boojum1 and J.F. Martin like this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

The Fusion Power lasts me 3 weeks. Now that I've made the switched to DE it should last me about 6 months. I only use it when I do not have any time for a DE. After shaving with my Merkur HD, the Fusion does not get the job done for me anymore.

Omelmad likes this.
  15. Grick

Grick Active Member

I only use the Fusion Proglide only if I'm in a rush but I don't care for the lubrastrip. I get the same smooth shaves even with the strip worn out.

16. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I second the idea to give DE a chance, you can actually get some idea what this would be like by using the single blade on the back of the Gillette razor.

17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Its possible, my Fusion Proglide lasted for a month (comfortably) with daily head and face shaving but your beard and skin will be the real judge.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

As soon as the lube strip wore out I canned the cart. I only got about 3-4 shaves per cart.

19. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I already did, I have a EJ DE89 on my shelf. I also have TOBS cream and EJ badger brush. I tried DE shaving for a month and didn't like it. I also don't have the patience to take it slow and learn how to do it properly. Of course, I will keep the razor, because one day I might give it a chance again. But until that day comes, I am sticking to cartridges. It is faster and easier for me. Sure, I get more razor burns and redness, but there is an aftershave for such cases.

20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Based on you other thread about burn and blood, I'm going to say it's not possible for your face, as it sounds like you use them well past the point that you should be. If it's a $$ thing, have you looked at Dollar Shave Club? Way cheaper than buying Fusion.