advice for a new Slant user?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by peacefrog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I've been using an HD almost exclusively for nearly a year and a half now. I have a slant on the way from Lee. Any advice?

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

make sure you have a pic for your plastic surgeon:D

Just kidding...I would say don't change anything shave as you have been. Now if you load a Feather then go nice and easy. You have been shaving for some time now with the HD so your technique and feel should be good to go. I have a Gold Slant that I have not used for a long time but I do recall that I got excellent results. I guess I am just waiting for them to get back to the $150 dollar mark to unload mine:D Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Raf

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yep. Send it back. :D Wish I had known you wanted one. I have a gold one and I'm sure we could have worked something out. Just not for me. Give me the standard HD head any day.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

NO ATG passes.
    Period :eek:
    and no Feather blades either.
    The only time I like the slant is when I need a quick shave and I keep it to WTG and XTG (N-S) passes only.
    I get cocky and go for a BBS shave and it only ends in pain and misery.
    But hey !
    Thats just me :o

5. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

It's a Christmas gift, so we wouldn't have been able to make a deal anyway.

6. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Although I respect the advice and personal experiences of all the gents around here, I may be among the few who say, "Huh?" when I see warnings about the "dreaded slant".. I get nothing but smooth shaves, nick free and no problems save for the sideburns, that get a swipe from the HD to make it straight. I go against the grain on my 3rd pass now, dropping my second XTG pass. Since switching to the slant from an HD, I have nearly removed the touch pass that was my unofficial 5th pass.. So for the record, my routine went from

Before, w/ HD
    WTG
    XTG
    XTG
    ATG
    Touch Pass

to

WTG
    XTG
    ATG
    50% of the time, a touch pass, w/ slant

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Slant is a good shaver, I got great shaves with it.......and it didn't tear me up whatsoever. There were, however, a few things about it that didn't suit my "tastes" in a razor so the two I had have been traded.

Keep your technique the same as with the HD, but with a slightly shallower angle.

As Wok says, it does not warrant the common perception of being a deadly weapon.

As Doc would say "Just shave baby" :D

[​IMG]

A link to my review

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Advice?

Just shave baby!

9. fritz

fritz New Member

Pretty much my experience, too. I use a Slant about 2/3 of the time for the ATG and finishing touch-up, even if I shave with some other razor(s). (The other 1/3 of the time, I use a Schick injector with a Feather AC blade.)
    And if I use the Slant for the first WTG pass, I don't need an XTG on the cheeks and sides of neck, just the "middle stripe". Feather blades are OK in it, but because of the price differentials I'm switching to Astra SPs in it, which seem just as sharp as the Feathers.

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Shave like you normally do except watch the angle a little more. Feather blades work great but higher risk in a Slant then other razors in my experience.

11. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

Ya, make sure the blade is seated properly. There is a bit of give that can drastically change the performance of the razor. Finding out how to seat the blade is up to your own personal preference.

Load the blade, tighten it down but not to the point where the blade is immobile, holding the end tabs of the blade you can turn the blade.

12. mercV12

mercV12 Member

start out light and SLOW. If she starts to bite you can react. As time goes on you'll be able to shave faster. Pay special attention to chin and upper lip, and if your right handed be extra careful on your left cheeckbone. (or vice-versa...left handed /right cheekbone.) Once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

13. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I used it today for the first time with no problems. I think I got at least as close a shave with less irritation than I normally get with my HD. But that could have been because I was more careful than normal about pressure and angle.

14. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

great razor...especially if I'm in a hurry and only have time for minimal prep and one pass. (don't try XG, AG without adequate prep)

15. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

Oh yeah, and to me, slicing whiskers at an angle seems to make more sense than cutting them perpendicular to the blade.

I often hold my SS, or Progress at an angle ... especially the ATG pass as it is less irritating and more comfortable.

Have fun, It's a great razor and it's different than the others.

16. kbuzbee

kbuzbee New Member

Picked up a gold one from Em. 3-4 shaves with it so far and I have to say I really like this razor. Nice close shave (only tried Merkur blades so far) and it SEEMS easier to get a really good 3 pass shave. My 38C does a nice job but there is much more left behind for a touch up after 4 good passes than the slant leaves after 3. I do find myself being a bit cautious with it but even at that, it's shaving closer. Odd.... I can't say this will be the end all razor but it's a great one.

Ken

17. I have the same set up plus a few Gillette Super Speeds. I have to give my face a break after using the Slant for a while. The Slant does give a close shave ! The blades make a big difference.

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Just stay away from Feather Blades with a Slant. Very aggressive.

19. I just ordered some feathers. Which razor do you use with feathers ? Which do you use with Slant ?

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

+1 on that, Rich

@Lee: Feathers are fine in any non-aggressive razor like a Superspeed or a Tech or a Merkor 34c.

Slants work best (but YMMV) with Derbies, Personnas, Swedes and the likes.