You all got me into trouble!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Feb 13, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I ordered the razor and brush sampler pack #5 (HUGEEEEE) What do I try first??? :D

2. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

What are you using now?

3. JayKay

Platinum Feathers. Theyre okay. Maybe alittle to aggressive for a merkur HD

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Try the Astra Superior Platinum. Those are nice and smooth (for me).

Others I especially like: Zorrik, Polsilver, Sputnik.

The Tigers were (for me) very much like the Feathers.

The Wilkinsons are nice, too.

5. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

One other thought: when you try a blade, and after a shave or two and/or a blade or two, decide that it's not for you, write down the reasons you don't like it, and put that and the remaining unused blades in an envelope and write the brand name on the envelope, then stick it in your desk.

Reason: six months or a year later, you can try the blade again, and surprisingly often the brand that seemed so bad actually turns out to be pretty good.

Just a thought.

6. JayKay

Thats a very good idea. I started off today with the Treet dura-sharps because I've really been looking forward to trying some carbon steel blades and they were slightly harsh on my skin but gave me a smooth shave. I'm scared that I'm going to wake up tomorrow with a ton of razor bumps/pimples on my chin. That will be the test of the night I presume. They go on the maybe list for the moment. Maybe I'll start a thread on my exploration of my sampler pack.

7. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The carbon-steel blades I rinse in a little jar of 91% (or 99%, which I can get at Safeway) rubbing alcohol just before I put them up to dry. Keeps them rust-free.

For me, the Treet Blue Special worked better than the Treet Dura Sharp, but YMMV. Certainly the TBS *look* great.

8. JayKay

I just ran out and picked my self up some 91% iso at target. My blade from earlier is going to rust out but I'll be prepared for tomarrow. I'll also try the treet blues in a couple days. Might as well make use of all this iso I bought.

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The jar I use for the post-shave rinse has a lid---the high-proof rubbing alcohol evaporates pretty quickly. But the rinse and then putting the razor up to dry keeps the blade from rusting. I used one Treet Blue Special for more than 10 shaves just to see how long it would go. But at 11.5ยข each one doesn't really need to work hard to extend the life all that much. Some use a new blade each shave.

10. JayKay

I bought it just to check out how they work for about 3 days. If I decided to make them my blade of choice I'd most likely only use them for 1-2 days because they are so cheap.

11. JayKay

Its the morning after with the Treet Dura-Sharps and my face is still smooth as can be. Lasted much longer than the feathers did in terms of closeness. Almost as smooth a shave as a feather but without the blood. Lets see how day two goes.

12. How is this getting you into trouble ? :confused:

13. JayKay

Now that I have all these blades Its going to take me forever to get through. Thats ok though, It'll give me something to do for months ahead. I got my SS in the mail today (from Bronco) and get to try all the blades with it and my old razor.

I just tried the crystal blades and found that they barely sliced through the hair on my chin. Has anybody else ever had trouble with these blades not being sharp enough? I'll have to try my feathers and treet dura-sharps in the SS.

14. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

This is a continuing surprise, but: some shavers say that the Crystals are the best blades ever: sharp, smooth, and perfect. Some have your experience.

The thing is, different shavers react differently to the same brand. That's why there are sampler packs in the first place. If everyone had the same response, there would be one "best" blade, and everyone would use it.

So you'll find in the sampler pack some brands that are astoundingly bad---FOR YOU. And other brands that are astoundingly good---FOR YOU. But no one can tell you in advance which are which. You just have to try them.

At least now you can put the Crystals in an envelope with the note "Seemed quite dull," write "Crystal" on the outside, and put it in the drawer for six months from now.

You might get through that sampler pack faster than you think.

BTW, the first blade from a pack *might* be a bad blade---rare, but it does happen. So you might try a second before you quit the brand for now.

15. JayKay

Very true. I'll give the crystals a try in my HD and see if it performs any better. Otherwise, off to the envelope for the crystals.

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I am a firm believer in the concept of:

Perfect blade + razor combination

It aint the same for everybuddy (Sorry again, Fergie)
    but when you find your matches.....it sure is fun

:happy005
    BTW: Crystals SUCK !
    j/k Steve-O ;)

17. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

excellent tip !!!

18. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

I agree whole heartedly with Rick here. this is a true and tested by me and some of the top shavers at TOP. I still have documents with their experiences of different blades that would be a "#"# in one razor but as soon as they tried another razor the blade would perform miracles.

Ive done some research to this and it seems it has something to do with the perfect pressure of the razor versus the blade gap angle . but for you to find this out you would atleast need to have more then one razor . also as Michael mentioned as your technique improves the same blade will perform different in 6 months later. what first will be a :confused: will be a :D later .

Then offcourse you have the famous not proven by science yet the hairs become resilient from using a certain blade too long... can you hear the twilightzone music .... :eek:

have fun discovering its a life long journey to find the perfect shave but like Zen its more important to be on the path then ever reaching that goal.

19. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I'll be very interested to hear your reaction to the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades when you try them. For me, the 7AM blades (different brand) were mediocre---rather like Crystals (for me): not very sharp, etc.

But the 7 O'Clock blades: wow! Sharp city. Be VERY careful of blade angle with these babies. At least for me, I think they're the sharpest blade yet. I want to see whether, with good technique, I can control them. I was using the Gillette Rocket (English Super Speed, in effect), which is fairly mild. But I ended up with a super shave. (Total Shaving Solution for the Oil Pass: too much menthol for my taste, but a very slick and protective coating for that final polish: no nicks in that pass.)

My Nik Is Sealed immediately closed the nicks, BTW. No problem, just a surprise.

20. JayKay

Lucky I've got an SS and some 7 O'clock blades. I'll give them a try this coming week. I still cant get a good later with soap so all my shaves have been border-line mediocre.