The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When you are ready to send them on. No rush.

macaronus likes this.
  2. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Cool...Would like to enjoy a little longer, especially with the carbon steel blades!

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Whoa! I got 'em yesterday. Funky looking things. Right off the bat I see that a corner of the "honing" metal on the metal razor has broken off. I'm in the middle of another test run I'm doing o something else so I'll be able to start my turn on Monday next. Four days. I have used lots of Super Blues before so I know what to expect normally. I get an unsurpassed first shave, a damn good second and a passable third....usually. Well, more to follow.

macaronus, PLANofMAN and Jayaruh like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Wince.

I was hoping to avoid that. Part of the reason why I asked everyone to send the razors in a small flat rate box. I'm guessing the protective plastic wrap that was stuffed in the original box is long gone?

I have an extra silver shake sharp, so I can take the hone from that one as a replacement. Are the instructions for the bakelite shake sharp still inside it's box (under the razor insert)?

macaronus likes this.
  5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I'll have to take another look at it later this morning but I don't think the damage will effect the razor's performance, and yes the instructions are there.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I sure hope the damage is only minor! The shakey's are much too great to have to lay down and be unused...

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If I remember correctly, something similar happened to Gorgo. He just flipped the stone over and put the damaged portion towards the back. I'll probably do something similar.

macaronus likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Turns out there was another variant of the Shake Sharp Razor. This example sold for $22 on eBay, and I missed it. It appears to be a transitional razor, between the first generation Bakelite model and the metal models. the key feature is the cap is attached to the head of the razor, but it still has the bakelite handle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

macaronus and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Too bad you missed it, Ryan! Better luck next time!

She looks neat!

10. Jdel070

Jdel070 New Member

Hi all, I am the one who bought this black and gold cutie ;). LOVE it so far ! Having used it twice with a new Astra Platinum, it gave me two very close shaves - with some minor weeps and burns under the nose the first time, so I guess an Astra is really sharper than a Gem blade ; anyway my beloved Ever Ready 1914 had to finish the job here and there. The ER 1914 is also much louder and requires less attention. When coming from SE razors, you have something to learn yet to use the Shake Sharp, but I find it extremely promising, and will try it with carbon Treet blades for sure !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrchick, PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  11. Jdel070

Jdel070 New Member

Shake Sharp (left) and ER1914 (right) heads compared... The more the blade is exposed, the safer the shave IMO, because it keeps the blade more parallel to the skin - in other words, it cuts better without cutting the skin. I never cut myself with the ER1914.
    [​IMG]

feeltheburn likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Congratz and enjoy!
    (and I'm kinda jealous, but hey, I should have been more vigilant, right?)

13. Jdel070

Jdel070 New Member

Yes, you have no excuse :p !
    And I have a gold plated one on the go - 31 bucks, cased, with a Gem 1912 and a straight :drool: ! In decent condition I hope... (wonder why the back of the head seems rusty black. Another transitional version or ... ?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    macaronus likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you ever want to sell it, please keep me in mind.

Still, happy that someone who will appreciate it got it. :)

Edit: the gold plating on these is rather thin, so depending on what cleaners were used, you can get to bare metal fairly quickly.

The Zamak is exposed on the tip of the handle as well. I'd say this razor spent too much time in an ultrasonic bath.

I think you'll find the gold shake sharp to be a much milder razor.

macaronus likes this.
  15. Jdel070

Jdel070 New Member

Nope man, not completely sure yet but I think I'm in love :D
    Yep, I am afraid you may be right, and the seller just wanted to get rid of three imperfect pieces:angry019:... but how comes then that only two parts lost their plating ? This would mean that the razor was taken into parts before cleaning ?

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No. The only parts missing plating are the parts of the razor made from Zamak, the rest of the razor is brass. I think someone may have stripped and polished it. You'll have to wait and see if the "gold" is plating, or polished bare brass.

Your only option at this point would be to send the razor to razor emporium and have it replated in chrome.
    ...or get it cerakoated.

macaronus likes this.
  17. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

After trying these out in a pass, a long time ago, I knew I had to have one. Finally stumbled on one a little while ago.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438232596.915763.jpg

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Haven't seen you around in a while, glad to see you again. I've always felt these were a bit too aggressive, but more often than not, on the rare occasion I use one, I get a wonderful shave, especially with vintage carbon blades.

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

oooh.gif
    Congratz! I envy you. Enjoy it!

And welcome back! Good to see ya!

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I might go back to that antique shop where they had a mint shake sharp with a case.

macaronus likes this.