Best and Worst Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Gillette made a lot of different DE razors over the years. Some had long production runs and some had short production runs. I have several in my collection and some are awesome (use them all the time) and some are not so great (rarely use and probably never will).

What do you think were the best and the worst Gillette razors ever made?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Well. For me I like the Fatboy. Slim. Super Adjustable's. Super Speed's. Ball End Tech. The only Gillette that I didn't care for is a Gillette Fat Handle Tech.

preidy, wristwatchb, 45auto and 3 others like this.
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Interesting...
    I've had a little over three months of wetshaving. About two months on a Fat Handle Tech and a month shared between an adjustable Slim and Fatboy.

Maybe it's just that I learned on the Tech, but I had my Sunday shave with it today and it reminded me that it is my favorite (so far).

Douglas Carey, Rusty blade and Spud like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have 19 different Gillettes. I've gotten BBS from all of them, some more often than others.
    They are all in the rotation and they all get used - nothing favored, nothing hated.

Pow0622, brit, BamaT and 7 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Fat Handle Tech isn't for me, I've had two now and given both away after trying to enjoy them.

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Well as they say Kerry, YMMV!
    :happy088:

Douglas Carey and Rusty blade like this.
  7. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

Unpopular Opinion incoming for all the adjustable lovers!!!!;)

I love my super speed, yet the slim underwhelms me... Thinking I am not an adjustable guy... On a plus there is always the WTT thread :)

8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The only Gillette razor I have not cared for is the version of the Super Speed Adjustable Long Handle (Black Beauty) that had the plastic base. I do not know why Gillette chose to make a version with the plastic base instead of the metal base. For me, it did not have the touch and feel of the all metal version. Otherwise, I have enjoyed all versions I own and use.

Douglas Carey, preidy, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

The modern production Gillette stirling in a face skinner. It weighs in like a business card and has blade gap that rivals my Fatboy on 9. Every other Gillette razor I have gets used about once a week while I'm shaving but I have found myself reaching for the Old Type more and more.

Douglas Carey and Rusty blade like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like Aristocrat, Super Speeds, Red Tip, Black Tip, Flare Tip, Fat Boy, Executive, 1958 TV Special, I like vintage Gillette. :)

brit, Ron R, PatrickA51 and 4 others like this.
  11. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I think a Tech does the best job on the upper lip. The head is thinner allowing you to get a close shave near the nose. For aggressiveness, I place it between a early SS and a Red tip.

Greg W.

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

As most of you know, the Gillette Adjustables are my favorite. My toggle is my White Whale and only comes out on special occasions, but it is the best shaver I own. Next is the Gellette Fat Boy. Just a little lighter than the toggle but the weight of the razor does all of the work. My Slim would be next. It is a little lighter with a smaller head, but shaves great. My Black Beauty is much lighter, and I have to be careful not to add too much pressure, and it's fine. All of my other Gillette razors are 3 piece and they all shave different from "old" type open comb that took me awhile to use it properly for a good shave, to my Gillette Tech that is very mild. I use all of them in rotation, and enjoy there different personalities.

13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I would have to say the worst Gillette would be any cartridge razor they made IMO.

Every DE I have tried from Gillette has been great. my favorite is the Tech, but the super Speed is also a very nice razor.

brit, DaveL, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I thought the OP meant DE razors or I would have said what you said about the worst.

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Just about every Gillette DE I've used has been a good to great tool. The Blue tip SS and the Black tip are my least favorite of the TTO lot. The Blue is too mild and the Black has a handle a little too narrow for my liking. They're still serviceable shavers but I'll reach for others first.

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I do not like any of my Tech's (I have 3). They're all too mild and I end up messing up my face trying to get a close shave.

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Fatboy. There's a reason they're popular.

PatrickA51, BigCabDaddy and RyX like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think the best would be the Fatboy. The worst...
    Can't really say. All the Gillettes I've used have been good razors. Some give me better shaves than others, but they all were high quality tools.

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I haven't found a Gillette I didn't like. I have had 17 and piffed 2.
    NEW (made in England), Fat Handle Tech, 47 Aristocrat, 53 President, Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty are among my favorites.

20. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

By far the worst Gillette DE ever made was the Psycho-Tech. I have one and it's just brutal. The blade dulled after the first few shaves, I can't put a new one in, and it is damn near impossible to use it for cutting an uppity cell-mate.

brit, Bookworm, BigCabDaddy and 5 others like this.