Equinox Shavette that takes a full DE Blade on Amazon

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Sep 1, 2015.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I know only a few select people out of all of us are interested in shavettes and not real straight razors. However, I found this item on Amazon and ordered it after asking around on Reddit and got positive feedback about it from that Shaveology barber guy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MKQEJH2/?tag=thshde-20
    81gcKZ3YpQL._SL1500_.jpg

It's intersting because, apparently, you open up the head, and use a full DE blade instead of snapping them in half. Then when you need a "new" blade, you just flip it and use the other side. Pretty cool idea, and that the metal shaft actually adds some heft to try to get close to the weight of a real straight razor. I bought it to see if it's any better than my Parker SR1. It comes in the mail on Thursday. I'm excited and very interested to see how it feels and shaves.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Norseman, PLANofMAN and kurtmill like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Interesting... I've always felt that 1/2 blade never seated correctly for me. Although, that hinge (?) at the back of the blade holder makes me a little nervous. Anyhow, I'll be interested in hearing how it works out. Pictures will, of course, be necessary. :)

Norseman likes this.
  4. GeneralKinetics

Of course. I literally see nothing on the internet about this piece, except that on the Wicked Edge a few months back I asked about it and got positive feedback from that Shaveology barber.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

This is neat but I like the shavette I have. If this does well for you then I may pick one up to use while I'm traveling. 2X the shave without packing extra blades.

6. GeneralKinetics

What shavette do you have?

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm also curious. I have an SR1 too, so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

GeneralKinetics likes this.
  8. GeneralKinetics

Unfortunately it comes on the 3rd, and then most probably at night, so then I'll shave with it Friday morning. I figured that for $15 shipped, It's worth trying out. I'll take 1 for the team, haha.

kurtmill likes this.
  9. DDuckyMark

10. GeneralKinetics

11. DDuckyMark

I like it. its heavy enough to feel good and the blade is very secure. The price certainly didn't hurt either. I just take an extra min to make sure the blade is in place before I close it and it gives me amazing shaves.

12. GeneralKinetics

Same. I shaved with my Parker SR1 and it is fantastic. Doesn't really start growing back until I go to bed, haha. I shave at like 6:45 AM and go to bed around 10 PM.

13. DDuckyMark

I use mine when I have let it go a few days or more without shaving. There is something very satisfying about shaving off a weeks growth in one pass.

14. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

That's exactly what I was looking for, a shavette with a little weight where I don't have to break the blade.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's very interesting. I've only seen one other full blade shavette..great idea...

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Once you give a shave report, I'll add it to the shavette article to keep it up to date.

17. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

That looks mighty interesting, too bad they do not ship worldwide :(

18. GeneralKinetics

Sweet. I saw it on Amazon a couple months ago and finally decided to take the plunge, haha. $15 plunge. I'm such a tightwad.

Drygulch and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Just got mine in the mail today from Amazon. $10.97. Seems well built. Blade is secure. I'll shave with it tonight.

My first shavette. I'm so excited. While I'd love to use a straight, the idea of regular honings, constant sharpening, etc. turned me off and figured this was close enough for now. I'm now on the lookout for good straights though so once I come across a good one will get it professionally honed and sharpened and will give it a shot.

p.s. sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but didn't see the need to start a new one.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's my issue with straights. Popping a fresh blade in a shavette is so much less of a rabbit hole.
    Please do review the razor when you receive it and get a chance to take it for a spin.

Keithmax likes this.