Gillette by Art of Shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Just spoke to a sales associate from Art of Shaving and evidently they gave contracted with Gillette to reproduce the entire line of Gillette Razors from the original specifications. I asked if they were going to have Zamak heads and was told they were not. From what I understand the Tech is first, then the TTO's, and finally the Slim and Fat Boys. I believe he said each run will be limited production so plan your acquisitions now.

Spud, Robyflexx, chrisbd and 8 others like this.
  2. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

That would be fantastic!

Though, given the product knowledge that is typically found at AoS, I wouldn't trust the sales person too much regarding the details.

I imagine those razors may end up being rather pricey if they do become available for purchase. Very interested to see what shows up nonetheless.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ditto. I can't imagine what the prices will be other than high.

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and Tdmsu like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I expect high prices, but I am intrigued, nonetheless.

Robyflexx, Herm2502 and Billyfergie like this.
  5. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Hopefully a new Slim will go for less than a mint NOS Slim.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

AOS associates told me that SE, DE, and shavette all use the same DE blades.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:eek:

9. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

OK, so this news begs a question: Which would you rather have assuming the quality is up to snuff -- the old or the new?

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

You should have made him demonstrate it as proof.

txskimo and pvtbanks like this.
  11. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I will probably have both.... (This is validated by the fact that I had to obsessively pick up one of every color Weishi 9306)

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That's why it's called Art of Shaving and not Science of Shaving. Art is so subjective.

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Either

14. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

This was after I told him I use a DE safety razor, so they tried showing me their quality safety razor handles that can be fitted with Gillete Fusion cartridges!

Robyflexx and trey06dmd like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    oh-no.jpg

Robyflexx and pvtbanks like this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Which AoS was this? There is a thread on one of the other forums where AoS specifically denies this rumor.

Michael Carpino likes this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I would be very interested if they made reproductions and would love to try one. I just did a quick search on the Internet and couldn't find anything to confirm.

18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

my guess (if true) is slim will be $100 and FB will be $125, just a guess though.

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the whole story is bunk made up by fanboys that has taken on a life of its own.

As has been stated elsewhere, the cost of recreating the manufacturing lines for the Fatboy, let alone several other models, would be cost prohibitive for the limited editions talked about. The one plausible exception to this would be the Tech which is still produced as the 7'O Clock Sterling for the Indian market and under the Gillette Super Blue name for the Chinese market. It's a bit of a stretch, but one could envision a Sterling repackaged (hopefully with a better handle) as a commemorative edition of Gillette's most popular razor, the Tech.

As for the Fatboy, I can't see how they would reproduce it given the niche status of DE shaving. If we were to assume any truth to the rumor, then it would make more sense for Gillette to partner with, say, Razor Emporium, buy up a bunch of Fatboys and have them replated and restored to factory specs. Then slap those into commemorative boxes with certificates of authenticity, etc.

JR

20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but this sounds like one of those rumors someone started for their own amusement, just to see how many people would buy it. But if they did it, I'd be tempted.

InspiringK likes this.