Best and Worst Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I suppose but you've got to love that moniker.

2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Vintage Gillette's brass or brass with nickel, gold or chrome plate prior to Zamak or aluminum for me. As far as SS, Flare 2/3 piece and TTO it varies even within those group models.
    Depends on your aggressiveness likes. I keep the mid-major variants and tend to move the mild or super aggressive ones. The variables can also keep it fresh. Closed or open comb be it TTO or 2/3 piece.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. labrax

labrax Member

Favorite/Best - Sheraton
    Least Favorite - "worst" 70's super speed with black plastic handle like SA's.

The NEW LC is a great shaver too...

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

I have to say that switching from my Super Adjustable to a shorter handle razor like a Red Tip is confusing (going back and forth every other day). So I'm sticking with my short handle razors for a while... I like my '56 Red Tip a lot and haven't had a bad shave from any Gillette DE yet, but that just means I haven't collected enough!

Jim99, Herm2502 and chrisbd like this.
  5. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Member

Best : Importe d'Angleterre British Goodwill
    Least favorite: Aluminium handle later model Tech S2

Glenn

brit and chrisbd like this.
  6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Best: D3 Executive Fatboy. It was my first fatboy and scared me. My heart was literally thumping from all the hype. I was in fear that I was going to open my jugular, bleed out on the bathroom floor and forever be made fun of in the forums after you saw me on the 6 o'clock news. I went at it out of the box on 9, conquering my fear and had a fantastic shave. Typically do three passes...9/5/2 and love the results.

Worst: Zamac Travel Tech. I'm no fan of such a short handle. It's my "checked bag" razor, meaning I won't care when they lose my bag in Boston. When I carry on I bring a fatty and buy blades when I get where I'm going.

Count me in on the fan club.

brit, chrisbd and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Best Gillette in my collection: Rhodium plated '58 Fat Boy.

Worst (IMHO): Any SS except a Red Tip. I have 4. (Sorry guys, I just don't like 'em.)

brit likes this.
  8. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Thank you! Majorly disappointed in my Tech. But to be fair, I've only got one shave with it since I'm in a 30 day focus with my two Old Types. I've got a couple candidates for favorite waiting for more shaves too -- LC New Fat and Red Tip. Fat Boy is my long time favorite they are trying to unseat.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I don't like any Gillette adjustables or any other clamshell TTO razors because of the head geometry and I'm also not impressed with the flair tip slim because it's too mild.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fatboy is great but a tad too heavy for me is all that's wrong with it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    BigCabDaddy likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Worst: British Aristocrat Jr, 1951. Aluminum razor except for doors. Prone to bad corrosion, inside and out. Also, light as a Feather.
    Best Shave: Fatboys, any year.
    Best Looking: #15 Aristocrat. Enough said about this one.

brit likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The Star series weren't bad, but too light weight for me. My favorite is the Super Adjustable (long handle.)

gorgo2 and Herm2502 like this.
  13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Favorite would be the only one I own: 1971 Black Handle SS. That said, the Sheraton and an OC Aristocrat are the only Gillette models I window-shop. Least appealing to me, visually, is the Knack.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    BigCabDaddy and Herm2502 like this.
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My favorite is a New Short Comb followed closely by a Long Comb. I never enjoyed the balance of any TTO Gillette.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. Red Rider

Gillette Tech vary as they area family of razors spanning decades.
    Money down a pre-war tech English or Canadian triangular base plate would change your mind. These have thicker top plates that make for a sharper angle on the shave and are more effecient without being aggressive. A must try before Tech judgement.

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

What I find interesting is that, with all the Gillette razors I own, I do not own a Tech. I think that's due to everything I've read about them that I've convinced myself that they're the worst Gillette razors out there. I know that's not fair since I've never tried one, but it's the one razor that some either love or hate. I have not bothered taking the plunge on that one.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  17. Red Rider

It's not one razor as shown here. I can find you dozens of posts regarding Tech fans. Typically the pre-war variants. I can't stress enough that the Tech is not just one razor as it's a family of razors made from 1939 to 2008. Available in brass plated in nickel and rhodium being best. Bakelite, plastic, aluminum and pot steel. Three, four piece, thin and thick handles. Made in many different countries. Various weights.
    Statements with "I like or don't like Tech's" are too broad without specifying which Tech.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    brit and chrisbd like this.
  18. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

I've only got a couple of Techs (English) and I wouldn't be without them. Having said that, of the two I definitely favour the flat bottomed one.

Worst razor in my limited experience was the Wilkinson Sword Classic with which I started DE shaving again last year. They got the head angle wrong for my liking but it spurred me on to buying vintage razors, so not bad.

Regards,
    Chris

Red Rider and BigCabDaddy like this.
  19. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I don't know about the worst, but the best I've used is my 1956 red tip.

20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am firmly in the Gillette Heavy Tech camp for "Best Razor" award. Having said that, yesterday I used a British Flare Tip Rocket for my Saturday Wildcard Shave and was pleasantly surprised...wonderful razor. Slightly more aggressive than the Heavy Tech...but really nice.

brit, chrisbd, Red Rider and 2 others like this.