Duke Cannon big @@@ brick of soap

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Joef, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of or tried these soaps. I saw an add for some and a few Amazon reviews. But wanted to check here for some real info.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. Bryce23

Bryce23 Member

I have used them not too bad but usually leave my skin pretty dry and not the best scents in my opinion

4. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I bought a bar of the beer soap at Target but haven't used it yet. The site really goes out of its way to dis what it calls unmanly, "metrosexual" culture that its operators seem to think has feminized men. Big marketing toward military types. Frankly, I only bought it on a lark and probably won't bother buying it again if it doesn't live up to its marketing hype.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

WalMart and Amazon sell some of the products through their websites. Walgreens offers it at a dollar per Big Brick less. No idea how good it is as I haven't tried it myself.

Although I didn't see specific numbers, "DUKE CANNON SUPPLY COMPANY IS SERIOUS ABOUT ITS COMMITMENT TO GIVING BACK TO THE MEN AND WOMEN SERVING OUR COUNTRY. THAT’S WHY A PORTION OF OUR PROCEEDS DIRECTLY SUPPORTS VETERAN CAUSES."
    Serious business :cool:

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I bought a bottle of their shampoo (peppermint and tea tree), a bar of their Productivity soap (peppermint) and a tube of their shaving cream last year. It's all pretty good stuff -- it works. The soap gives me a bit of a refreshing zing on the occasions when I use it in the shower, the shaving cream worked well so it's in the box with all my other decent shaving creams and soaps, and I have been using the shampoo regularly for the last couple months and have found it cleans and conditions my hair quite well.

Is it better than anything else out there? Well, it's soap and shampoo -- it gets me clean... Has it melted forty pounds of flab off and allowed me to do twenty mile ruck runs in boots while carrying a sixty pound packsack? Uhm, no... But if I did (and didn't die on the spot of a coronary), I am sure it would get me clean after that too...

7. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

Got a couple as a gift. Way to drying for my skin.

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive used them. Theyve got some great marketing but at the end of the day, its a big bar of soap.

BigMark83 likes this.
  9. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I bought their alcohol-free AS on a whim when I went to pick up my regular that I use (Nivea), and really like it. I enjoy the scent and it's very moisturizing. I might try some of their other stuff. I didn't know about their marketing, but they do say on the product that some $ goes to support veterans.

Michael_W likes this.
  10. Michael_W

Okay, seeing as how this thread popped up in my inbox today, and I've since used two different bars of Duke Cannon soap (Beer and Buffalo Trace) plus two different scents of deodorant (Amber & Sandalwood and Bergamot & Black Pepper), I can say it's definitely worth the extra price. It gets the job done and it smells good. I still don't care much for the marketing, but part of the profits go to help veterans and it lasts a good while for the inflated price.

11. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

My son gave me a bar of their soap for either X-Mas or my birthday last year. The first time I used it, it slipped and hit my shin, ankle, and foot on the way down... The thing is literally a brick. Needless to say it did not feel nice... I cut it up into smaller pieces and the soap worked fine after that... Now that it's gone I feel perfectly fine back with my Dial...

Michael_W likes this.
  12. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I picked up their Naval Supremacy soap bar at 1/2 price at TJ Max. Overall I don't like it very much and will not buy again. I actually like the scent.

Cons
    • not much glide in the bar, I like a soap that rubs smoothly and easily over my body
    • needs work to lather
    • the blue dye is way too much
    • too heavily perfumed, which irritates my skin, dry and itchy
    • not a fan of needlessly oversized soap bars, especially ones with sharp edges

13. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I had some of the same negatives as well.
    I was gifted the black soap. I cut the bar in half because it’s just too big.
    It does not glide at all for the first couple of uses. Once you get the outer layer worn off it begins to glide and lather pretty well.
    The scent of the black soap is pretty strong but I didn’t mind it.
    The big negative I experienced is the dye or whatever they use to make the soap black gets everywhere and make a huge black soap scum mess. Maybe it’s just more noticeable because it’s black.
    It is a little odd to rinse off and see black water going down the drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Michael_W

I've found that the brick soaps' quality varies depending on the specific scent. Beer and Buffalo Trace lather fairly well in my experience and last a good long time. Haven't tried the others, but I'll take users' word for it on their experiences.