Proraso Pre Shave Cream White Best Use For Me, Not What You Think

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Bill G, May 4, 2016.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

The Proraso white pre shave cream works better than anything I have come across for this one thing for me and that's why I keep it in my den. Lead in, it's an ok pre shave but this stuff really shines for those times were you may have gotten to close with your razor and caused some redness or irritation like around the Adam's apple on the neck for me. When used on the mentioned condition the Proraso white pre shave cream is very soothing and it takes away the redness and irritation when applied after the shave to date better than any other product I have tried. Again, I keep it in my den for just this reason. Give it a try for this type of application and use and I think you will be surprised.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

image.jpeg

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thank you Bill, I've been interested in it for some time! :)

Spud and Bill G like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

It's a staple for me as a pre-shave, applied once all over my beard and between each pass on my neck. @Rusty blade recommended it to me and I have used it ever since.
    The menthol doesn't pair with every cream but the sandalwood (red) is another great option. I have found it certainly reduced the nicks, rash, etc on my neck.

Rusty blade, Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Your welcome,

The Prosaso white works great as a post shave cream even though it's marketed as a pre shave and works great in the conditions I mentioned (Prosaso does say it can be used pre or post in the instructions). For me it's a better post than pre shave product. I think it's the Tea leaf formula that makes it work so well for the healing of the irritated areas after a shave. I find lately I only use it when I shave a spot to close because it heals and soothes so well. I do have other great products that I like the scent of a little better so if I don't mess up and shave to close I use those instead.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

RaZorBurn123, Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Yes, it works great for a lot of folks as a pre shave. For me I find I like it better as a post shave product for the reasons mentioned above. It has done a decent job as a pre shave for me when I used it that way.

Your right, the menthol does not mix or always pair with other soaps or creams.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

RaZorBurn123, Robyflexx and Spud like this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I've got the Proraso Pre-shave in both green and red versions. It smells great and feels very nice, but it doesn't seem to affect my shave in any noticeable way when used as a pre-shave. I also have used them post shave, and they're good -- maybe not quite as good as an aftershave balm, but still effective.

I am a thrifty soul, and I will finish consuming these products, but I will not re-purchase. I find almost any aftershave balm will work just as well.

I truly enjoy Proraso products, but the Pre-shave cream just seems superfluous -- did they miss adding an ingredient when creating their shaving cream/soap? I use the Proraso aftershave balm (oat & green tea) and find it very soothing and beneficial. This is a product I would buy again -- the pre-shave cream is not worth re-purchase IMO.

Spud, RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like to use it every so often, especially when I haven't shaved my head in a few days.
    Definitely a product worthy of having in ones den.

Spud, Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The pre-shaves actually used to be marketed as a pre and a post shave product. I'm not sure why they stopped calling it a post shave product, because as you point out, it's great for that. Maybe they just wanted to sell more of their milk style balm.

Slow Joe, gwsmallwood, Spud and 2 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I haven't tried "pre-shave" products before. To me, a nice smooth-feeling men's bodywash(Dial, Nivea, Suave)in the shower sets me up well.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

a@Robyflexx, I have the feeling you printed your "like" at the exact instant I made my edit! :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have the white, green and red Proraso preshave creams. Great products. White is my favourite. I tend to alternate among these three and Noxema Classic as part of my daily preshave routine.

Spud likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The Proraso White is great stuff when I want a red and itchy skin.

In other words; not for me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gwsmallwood and Spud like this.
  14. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

I never considered using the pre-shave as a post-shave product. I use the green, and while it does feel exceptional, I'm not sure how effective it is. I will have to try using it post-shave. I love the smell of the green after-shave, but I feel like I got better results from the Nivea cream. Maybe this will be better.

Bill G likes this.
  15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I find it makes no discernible difference to my shave. As a pre or post shave it makes my skin a little too oily, especially if I use a soap like Mitchell's Woolfat. I think it might be fantastic if you had really dry skin. I will try it on any sore spots though. Good suggestion.

Bill G likes this.
  16. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Do you guys rinse it off before applying lather, or lather over the top? I just started using the Proraso pre-shave, lathering over the top of it on the first pass. I find my shaves are not as close as they used to be, so I'm wondering if the pre-shave is clogging or coating the blade?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

@Borderboss, I use it sparingly and lather directly over it like you did.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I've changed to using the Proraso Pre-shave before I get in the shower, then I use Noxema Classic under the Proraso shave cream. My shaves are much closer as a result, and my face feels better too.

Robyflexx and DabblinRazors like this.
  19. rico613

rico613 New Member

I tried the menthol proraso pre shave. Feels great under a hot towel, but expensive and so-so results. Neutrogena Men's razor defense, if it is like the Men's facial scrub, is the best pre-shave I've found so far.

20. Pierce Jordan

Pierce Jordan Well-Known Member

Totally agree, Use it as a pre shave but as a post shave it is excellent.

Love your signature. Like proraso as a post-shave, very refreshing to see.

Bill G, Robyflexx and Demidog like this.