Your Favorite Sandalwood Shave Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by AWS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

Well, we have lilacs, roses, and violets----why not gardenias!!!

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  2. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

I'd be interested in trying SC's version. I just picked up Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood shave cream and love the scent, which I assume would be similar to yours.

3. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Interpretations of sandalwood scent are wide-ranging. Of the brands of cream and soap I've tried, which include DRH, Trumper, AOS, T&H, CF and C&E, none are alike. If you add in colognes and aftershaves, the list gets even longer, and they're still all different. Admittedly, I have not tried Soap Commander, but I would not assume it is the same as or similar to C&E's Indian Sandalwood, despite having the same name.

4. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

You're
    You're probably right, especially considering most sandalwoods are fragrance due to cost which vary greatly. I am more interested in a pure essential oil sandalwood scented soap at present, perhaps AoS soap version. That one smells nice but I don't know how good their soaps are, only tried their cream and it is pretty good but not quite CF or XPEC performance to me.

5. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Just tried the TOBS last night for the first time and I'm not impressed. Not only did it not smell like what I typically think of as sandalwood, but it really doesn't match their aftershave which I found curious. I guess I'd call the soaps interpretation of sandalwood as "earthy" but I'm really not well versed in that sort of descriptive vocabulary at all.

PickledNorthern and Hobbyist like this.
  6. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

I'd say more woodsy and also earthy but according to the box it is true sandalwood essential oil. There are several different sandalwood essential oils as you probably know, such as Mysore, Indian, Australian, and a few others so you may be used to a different one than AoS uses. I haven't found a perfect one yet but AoS for me smells really nice, just not sure how the soap will perform compared to other soaps I like.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

As a soap it was different from the few I've tried but seemed to be effective. It seemed more goopy/slimy. No way to get the whip cream peaks you see on YouTube. More like whip cream right before it sets up. Like I say, it worked well, just texture was odd for me.

Hobbyist likes this.
  8. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

Thank you. I need to wake up because I thought you were talking about AoS but you meant TOBS. These acronyms get confusing sometimes..lol. I know nothing about the scent of TOBS or whether it is real EO. AoS however I do like the scent of.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I miss sandalwood shaving soap/cream. I love the scent, but I have a buddy who, instead of showering, puts on patchouli and sandalwood essential oil everyday. Ruined the scent for me.

10. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

Those are some expensive showers.

11. Jerry-built Hustler

I can't imagine he'd stay a buddy of mine for long.

12. Jerry-built Hustler

I've been going back and forth between the DRH sandalwood soap and cream for the past few days, and today even used them both (first pass soap, subsequent passes cream). I like them both, but honestly, the cream won on performance grounds, as well as convenience.

13. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

+2 leaves a sent in my brush, smells wonderful even when i am not shaving

14. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

that's just passive-aggressive if you ask me.

15. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big user of creams but I like Salters and TOBS sandalwood.

16. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

Only used one sandalwood cream - Taylor of Old Bond St. It's a go to one for me. Love the sandalwood scent - have TOBS sandalwood hair and body gel and the prorasa pre shave balm too. Mrs. Mac loves the scent too which is a bonus ;)

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

AoS and Queen Charlotte Soaps are my favorite sandalwood creams.

18. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

19. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of Sandalwood by itself, but the AOS was nice when I had it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

30 % by Royal Shave. . Not over powering and has a hint of something else in there. Nice soap.