If I may ask a question

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Mar 4, 2016.

1. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

What makes you fine folks stick with carts? Do DE aggravate your skin or is it the convience of time? I don't mean to start an argument, simply to hear from the other side of the pasture here. So the question. Why still use carts?

2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Well, I find they make taking my groceries to the checkout much easier…uh, oh not that cart?
    I still have them on hand for when I need to be quick.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a cartridge for my head shaves, after trying DE razors and having bad results a generic Atra blade has provided a smooth and irritation free shave.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I get just as good shaves with a cart if not better than a DE, injector, Feather AC, shavette/sifter with a cabinet blade. I prefer a Mach3 or Trac II/Atra compatbile twin blade.

I have used Durham Duplex, Wecks, and even straights. I will forego the straights in future...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 I also use various ones for head shaves..for me it's a matter of time constraints. :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I can't help with your question, Carts and I don't get along. Don't hesitate to ask questions. TSD people won't fight...I think. The only bad question is the one never asked.

RyX, ARGH, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I get as good a shave with a cartridge as with DE and SE blades and with a single pass; they are no more expensive per shave than DE and SE blades; they are more convenient to buy, pack for travel and store at home; the handles are far more ergonomic than the typical DE handle although the early Schick injectors were pretty comfortable to hold and there is little maintenance involved unlike a typical DE or SE handle. I've been at this since about '55 and have tried about every shaving device on the market so I think I know what works best for me at this point.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Carts work. They do pull and drag over growth that is more than stubble, but they work. For me, I prefer the DE razors for numerous reasons, the least of which may even be nostalgia. So I won't go back to carts, because my shaving has become FAR more enjoyable since making the move back to DE/wet shaving.

Dzia Dzia and Robyflexx like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Variety and nothing more.

10. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

The design of cartridge and disposable razors make it easy to get and maintain the proper blade angle while shaving. I currently use Gillette Sensor 2 disposables and get 15 shaves per razor. They are inexpensive (bag of 12 for $7.99 at the supermarket with a $2 manufacturer's coupon) and high quality.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I keep a TRAC II cartridge around for my fiancée's under arms. She prefers to use a cartridge for that, rather than a DE.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Travel.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  13. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Carts never worked well for me. They'd "whisker fill". So I came to DEs and fell in love with my Merkur Progress. Since then I have imported the Gillette Guard cart from India. I rate it as a tie with my Merkur Progress and better than my other twelve DEs.
    I agree, DEs are more fun because they have so many variables. But I understand why the poor of the world are sold on the Gillette Guard.

14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Flying travel only.

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I fly a lot ... I've had gold level with Skyteam for the last few years. Often two or three day trips, with cabin baggage only.

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Funny, this question came up in reverse when carts were introduced; why still use DE and SE razors? We use what we feel works the best for us, simple no?

Halvor, Carbide Mike, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nuff said.

Carbide Mike, gorgo2 and mrchick like this.
  18. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I DE shave because I enjoy it. When I load an Astra SS, Astra SP, Personna Lad Blue or any other great blade into my Merkur Classic 33C, I take pride in what I'm about to do. Kind of like playing a really nice guitar or riding a really good mountain bike. I just try harder when I use something high quality. I can get great shaves with a disposable Personna Twin Blade, but I don't enjoy it.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    gorgo2, jeraldgordon and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I definitely agree.. They have floors full of engineers that spend a lot of time in R&D. Spreader bars are there for a good reason. I am happy with 3 blade preferably Mach 3

Sabre and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

Carbide Mike, Sabre and gorgo2 like this.