May 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What is your favorite memory of @Bama Samurai?

Poll closed May 30, 2016.
  1. When he started the 30 Day Thread

15.4%
  2. When he bought his Plisson Synthetic Brush and burned all of the others in disgust

7.7%
  3. When he purchased stock in La Toja and used his pictures here to drive the price higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. When he invented the phrase "all is quiet in Colorado"

23.1%
  5. When he started bringing cookies to the thread each month.

11.5%
  6. Who cares......as long as somebody remembers the freaking cookies!!!

42.3%
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice looking razor. That is one of the razors I want to find at some point.

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No problem. At least, the experiment had a pretty much neutral outcome. (Not like some of the MAYhem so far.)

I wish I could say that I learned something from working with the Marvy soap. Other than some new approaches to a difficult soap, though, I feel like the biggest lesson is to never buy Marvy soap again. I did catch myself staring at a bar of Ivory and serious contemplating which was the better shaving soap. (I might have to try it by way of a Neal-like finish to the month.)

I don't think I'm going to be trying to 3017 the puck (as they say over on another site). I might Titanic it, but that would likely involve breaking it in half and throwing it into the deepest part of the ocean. :)

NCoxSTL, mrchick, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

20160430_185937-01.jpeg

MAYhem 5th, 2016

CJB/Feather Pro (4)
    RR 24mm Finest
    RR SMDF
    Maggard Alum
    Thayers
    Brut

Upcoming rant/vent incoming that has nothing to do with shaving but I consider you all friends and enjoy hearing what's going on with you guys besides shaving wise and am sure some of you feel the same. If not just skip to the bottom where I will talk about the shave or tell me to can it.

Got a call about an hour ago from my job about an emergency meeting and how everyone was needed. Get in to the car and fly to work. I get there and see most of the kitchen staff is sitting down waiting for me and looking downright angry. I sit down as a few of the kitchen members stand up shouting profanity's and telling my boss where to insert certain items and walking out. What in the hell is going on. Well my boss instead of being a decent human being and actually giving a frogs behind about his employees and what having a job means to us decided that he is closing/selling the place and just know finally decides to tell us.. Yeah as of Monday we are no longer needed....great guy right? Ok "you know what happens"...I get it... but too give no notice to anyone rubs me the wrong way. A lot of us there have kids (I have 3) so it's not just like this is an afterschool part time job where you work 10-15 hours a week to show mommy and daddy your growing up and becoming responsible... This is to provide for our family's.. All right I will end this rant here as I am struggling to type what is going on and still keep this pg-13. I am just proud that I didn't grab a cast iron skillet and beat him over the head with it. Rant/Vent over... sorry guys....

On to the shave

DONT SHAVE WHILE ANGRY!!!!!

:angry021::angry021::angry021::angry021::angry021:

Man oh man did I think my first day with the pain stick was bloody....14 cuts/nicks.... Yeah... the Alum burned a little... Hope everyone has had a better shave /day then me so far.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I hope tomorrow goes better for you and you are able to find another position quickly.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You both missed part of that quote.

NCoxSTL, RyX, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1

7. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

You know how many pages of goggle images I had to go through to find one that was missing that word.... a lot...

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's a bummer, I'm sure something will come along quickly. This might be a blessing in disguise, the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Ray, I'm very sorry about your job loss but I'm confident you will have something better in no time. You're a capable, cheerful guy with a go getter attitude. Can't keep you down brother. :)

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

+2

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Sorry to read about your job, Ray. I'll be praying for you.

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. I was pretty jazzed to find it in the wild.

13. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thursday Shower/Shave
    [​IMG]

Shower- Noxzema facial cleaner, Dr. Bronner's All-One Hemp Peppermint bar soap
    Pso- @barbersurgeon lime and blood orange PSO
    Brush- RazoRock Plissoft
    Razor- Muhle R41 on a Maggard MR5 handle
    Blade- Polsilver (1)
    Soap- TSD London for Men
    Thayers Witch Hazel with grapefruit EO
    AS- Florida Water with M-Bomb

This shave was mostly made possible by a pif from @barbersurgeon. I started with his wonderful PSO, great scent and performance. This was my first use of a Polsilver blade, very smooth and I am BBS with very little irritation. I really like the scent of London for Men and this was my first try of a TSD soap, amazing! Very easy to lather, thick, slick and protective. I love this soap. The Thayers with M-Bomb as usual was great and I'm really liking the Florida Water with M-Bomb, great scent and feel. I really enjoyed this shave.

This Polsilver rates right up there with the Ladas, it's a toss up so far. We'll see how it performs tomorrow and attempt to rate them. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well the missing word was always there for Jessie. You hear it whether we write it or not.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem 2016

May 5

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89l
    Blade - treet-new-steelsmall.jpg (1)
    Brush - VDH Boar
    Soap - Tabac
    Post - Cold Rinse, Alum, Nivea

It's the @English expat shave and the setup looked good. Way too good for a MAYhem shave but that's kind of the point this year. You never know what's going to come up, and a shave with three out of four of my "better than average" items along with a perfectly acceptable one should spell a great shave. The razor is a well known winner, Tabac is right there at the top and I had great luck with the Treet New Steel during my month of Treet trials. Only the brush is second tier and then only because of image. It's always worked well.

And, today it was awesome. It loaded in record time off of the puck and I got a fantastic Tabac lather. Man did my nose need that after yesterday! Grabbed the razor and.......wait a minute.....Treet New Steel, right? The blade I have notes on as being a really nice blade? It isn't horrible but man this seems rough. Again, not horrible but worse than I remember. Finished the first pass and found the result lacking as well. Hmmmmm. I had it in a different razor during trials. One of the Super Speeds I do believe, and it didn't feel like this. I pulled the blade after the first pass and hand stropped it. Second pass was XTG and still a bit rough but better. Maybe I just got a blade that needed a help for that first pass. Finished with a third pass and a Gillette Slide. If I wasn't still trying for a good DFS I would have skipped that. Yeah, a bit rougher than I like. But, it's done. And I finished with an ok DFS.

Clearly not the fantastic shave I was anticipating but no blood and just some roughness. I'll take it. I know what's waiting for me in the morning.....the Soyuz 1 with a Dorco 300. I've never tried the 300. The 301 wasn't bad. The Prime needed help. This could be good or bad for the blade but we know the razor SUCKS. The picture of the day is my EJ DE89 next to SWMBO's EJ Heather. She hasn't used it in months as she prefers her '65 Lady Gillette. But at least we can say we matched for awhile.

hisandhers.jpg

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Clearly trying to throw some sort of number 4 juju my way. An interesting yet frightening fact I just discovered while loading the Soyuz 1 for tomorrow's @mrchick shave. It is able to accommodate three hole blades. Like, for instance, the Tiger. I thought the only razor I had that the Tiger would fit was the 1918. Turns out the Soyuz will work as well. I'm a sport, so I will add another Wildcard setup for the remaining time this month. If the Wildcard blade is chosen I'll then randomize the Wildcard list and do the top shave on it. That will now include the Soyuz 1 with Tiger. My face just started spontaneous bleeding at the thought.

17. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have 2 razors the Tiger fits in. One is a Gillette Old Type and the other is my Angry Russian. I wish I knew its real name.

Here is the case.
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, PLAla, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I just revoked you soon to be ex-bosses card membership card to the human race. I have more than 200 people that work for me and everyday when I make decisions I remind myself that my employees are counting on me to do the right thing so they can provide for their families and that our investors are counting on me to do the right thing so they can honour their commitments.

In my life when I have had my most difficult moments like you have now it turned out it was for a reason: Every time it was because a new opportunity was coming my way that I would have missed if it were not for the bad event. I am confident that this will turn in your favour and hopefully Karma will settle the score with ex-boss.

I look forward to hearing about the new great turn in future coming soon. Success is the best revenge.

19. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Well said Keith

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You have my permission to go ahead and grab that cast iron skillet and have at it. Totally disgusting on the part of that idiot. I'll have you in my thoughts as you look for a new, and I"m sure better, place to ply your skills!