Lifestyle: Duralex Picardie Glassware

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I use the 25cl's (8ish oz glasses) for my hard liquor, although mine is mostly rye. The 25cl's also work well if I want to add some ginger ale to my mixing rye's. I'm fairly new to the spirit world so I haven't gotten into proper nosing glasses, so the Picardie's work fairly well for me.

BamaT and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I think my wife is officially hooked on them! She came in yesterday with a couple of the 12 oz size glasses. They're definitely easier to hold and lighter. These will probably see a lot of use when just the two of us, but we will probably get some more of the 16 oz size for entertaining company.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Sassybee

Sassybee Well-Known Member

I love these. I am a big thrift store shopper and people get rid of stuff and don't even realize what they dumped. Will be looking for these.

BamaT, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

yeah, it's tempered glass as found on car doors and back glass. won't stab you, just make superficial cuts. I know from experience from working in glass companies for many years.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

So you've had them for some time, are you and your wife still happy with them? Any breakage?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Still happy with them. No breakage. One was knocked off a table on to the floor and didn't break about six months ago.

BamaT and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you for getting back to update Duralex proformace.

I was also looking at the Bormioli Rocco made in Italy. Half of my family is from France and half is from Italy.

81EuTClgHKS._SL1500_.jpg

But I think I'll still purchase the Duralex.

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Our Duralex Picardie collection continues to grow! We definitely use the 12 and 8.75 oz glasses the most.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice read!! Having 4 kids (all adults now) made it hard for me and my wife to have nice, matching glassware.

Tiredricefarmer and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I just might get these as a wedding gift for my niece! Thanks for the article

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Very well written, my friend...Too well written...Went right out and bought six of each of these....the 10.5 oz and 12 oz ones....I've been getting tired of glass breakage....

Ohh yeah...the Wife and I have very strong opinions on how a glass feels in the hand...The balance and weight...I was immediately impressed....I looked at my wife who was holding the glass with her eyes closed...She really doesn't like very many glasses....She opened her eyes and had a big smile...She LOVED THEM! She pretty sure these are the same glasses her Mom used when she was a kid, in Istanbul...Probably was.

One week after getting these, someone accidentally back handed one half filled with wine off of the dinner table....It hit the hard wood floor with force because the guy that had the accident was talking and moved his hand with a fast backhanded gesture to make a point, and when he connected with the Picardie with the wine he did exactly that...he made quite a point...:happy097:

But...NO BROKEN GLASS TO CLEAN UP...sure...a little wine...BUT....NO GLASS!!

Thanks PoM for this brillient suggestion...:happy088:
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Enrico, PLANofMAN, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I learned something valuable.

Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. dragonhf

dragonhf Member

Nice written article. You maked me want to order some Duralex glasses too.
    Not because we need it, we already have too much glasses.

BamaT, Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I picked up a couple Duralex Gigogne from the Good Will and they work great as wine glasses. We plan to get a couple sets.
    [​IMG]

BamaT, PLANofMAN and Eeyore like this.
  15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I bought a set of blue duralex glasses and have one on my bedside cabinet. Twice, it has been knock off and landed on my weights, which ar stacked by the side of the cabinet. Not a mark or chip anywhere! Brilliant sturdy glasses.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The word gigogne means "stackable" or "nesting" in French. I just thought that was kind of neat.

Edit: They are also a favorite of French mothers for children's glasses because of their durability. At least, according to one internet article I read.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Used in "The Foreigner"
    36973451333_f54b931c79_o.jpg

PLANofMAN and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just a quick update. Drove about five hours total, including about two hours of some very rough roads with four glasses stacked on a shelf in the travel trailer. No breakage. :)

I have seen quite a few at thrift stores since I published this article, and 90% of the time they have so many scratches they look foggy. My sets of glasses look like the day I bought them, crystal clear. Anyone else that purchased some noticed them getting scratched?

BamaT, GatorJoe and Enrico like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No scratches on ours. We did break one, but something was dropped on the glass. We’ve knocked a couple off our table, but they did not break. We love them!

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No scratches here either!

Dropped a couple with no damages ... great glasses. :happy088: