Just scored a bottle of Burley

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Jul 22, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Half bottle, actually, but of the cologne.

Ever wonder what it smells like? I did.

Surprise, surprise. It smells almost identical to a good bottle of Avon Oland...actually, reverse that. Burley is just a tad sweeter than Oland but is basically the same as a bottle that hasn't gone bad (Oland can go very weirdly bad).

Aramis was put out by Estee Lauder out around 1965, Burley in 1967, Oland in 1970.

Since Oland fairly closely resembles Aramis but is basically the same as Burley, it's a safe guess that Shulton copied Estee Lauder, then in turn both were copied by Avon in just the same way that Avon cloned Old Spice with Spicy, Canoe with Windjammer, and those wacky faux Orientals with Tai Winds.

My conclusion, for what it's worth: Is Burley worth hunting down and paying (usually) a lot for? Not if you can find a good bottle of Oland for next to nothing. And you can.

italics!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, Avon windjammer is Canoe clone! Thank you. Another to watch for and search out.
    Keep in mind the Official Sarcasm Designation® is similar to
    italics but with the added underline.
    tilt my head italics.jpg

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Interesting info on Burley-from its appearance shown here(and I never saw it before myself), it looked like a simple Old Spice clone.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It is Old Spice...that is, the brand name, not the original scent. Shulton branched out in the '60s and '70s with different types of OS beside the original. Burley was just one of them.

Paul Turner likes this.