New Scales for Barbersurgeon

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Jul 19, 2016.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I received the blade below from fellow TSDer, @barbersurgeon (Dean) who requested my opinion on the quality and more information about the make. The blade itself was in very good shape— 5/8" carbon steel, hollow ground, hollow point, double-shouldered, lower jimps and felt of solid, good quality.
    [​IMG]

The "maker's" stamp, however, remains a mystery to me. As you seen below, a diamond 'R' stamp on both sides; with the letters CPWB on one side and 'Special' on the reverse side. Probably US made, but I've not found any additional information.
    [​IMG]

Dean sent me the broken black scales for reference as he liked the shape and stated, "Faux tortoise shell with a medium or dark orange wedge would look pretty cool."

The New Scales: Faux Tortoise shell (.118"), amber wedge; nickel-silver pins with brass washers; brass inner bearing washers. Honed on Chosera 1k, Naniwa 5k, Nagura Progression on a Shoubudani asagi.
    Very smooth, keen edge! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

taskind, alpla444, PanChango and 9 others like this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Now that's nice. Timeless and classic.

Great work Kevin.

4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

That's a work of art. It is beautiful.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Beautiful restore!
    Yet the mystery remains. Who dunit?

Attached Files:

HolyRollah and barbersurgeon like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, very nice.

HolyRollah likes this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nicely done. You've been a busy boy!

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Wow, very nice. Congrats Dean @barbersurgeon . Nice work Kevin!

barbersurgeon and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is what happens when I finally get a break in my other schedules (my day job, the family wedding, etc) to allow time for my restoration backlog. :D

alpla444, barbersurgeon and mrchick like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Absolutely gorgeous!

12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Received my razor yesterday! Looks very nice and it is certainly sharp! Thanks Kevin, wonderful job.

I shaved my cheeks with it today. This was the first SR shave for me. I was a bit awkward getting angles right. I'm sure it will get better with time. I have a mole on my right cheek, so was very careful around that. Left cheek was much easier. Anyway, finished off with the Aristocrat/GSB for a DFS.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dean, It will take some practice before you start getting confortable with the 'proper' angles and hand positioning. Not uncommon for newcomers to finish the job with a DE razor until one becomes more accomplished with the big blade. All it takes is daily practice! At least your initial shave was with a 'shave-ready' razor. I wasn't so fortunate in my first SR outing. ;)

mrchick and barbersurgeon like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, great job in restoring the razor guys.

barbersurgeon likes this.