DIY after shave splash?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by tuxxdk, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'm not aware of what ratio the limit is, but the one you quoted would dissolve all the oils perfectly. The ones I use now does not. They come out of solution on the shelf, so the bottle needs to be shaken. There's simply not enough alcohol to keep them in solution. But there's enough to feel if the shaves was less stellar :)

I have read somewhere, that around 60% of alcohol is the limit, but I have not tried to test it.

Looking forward to your results! I use mine almost exclusively, mostly the bay rum. Sometimes I use a commercial one, but 8/10 times I go for the home made stuff.

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

So I had some WH that I had added some aloe and tangerine EO previously. Today to that I added 30ml everclear, 1.25ml each of castor oil, vitamin e oil, glycerin, and 3 drops of tea tree oil. I will try it out tomorrow. There isn't enough alcohol to keep all of the oils in suspension

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

tuxxdk likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Used my home made aftershave this morning. It feels very nice on the face and the tea tree oil really compliments the citrus. It adds a spicy base note that smells of the rind of the fruit. it smells like a freshly peeled tangerine with the bitterness coming from the pith. The cooling effect from the AS was quite mild. I'm quite certain that commercial AS has much more alcohol in it. I think I will try another recipe with the lime EO and try to get the alcohol content a bit higher. Perhaps this way the oils will be able to stay in suspension as well.

tuxxdk likes this.
  4. tuxxdk

Yes, the commercial ones definitely use higher alcohol content. Don't know how much, but it's up there :)

Citrus sounds really nice together with tea tree oils.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

I had a run in with a high alcohol AS yesterday I've decided that 30% is plenty. So I whipped up a batch of lime as using the same recipe. Lime on the right tangerine on the left.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    tuxxdk and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I added some menthol to my orange AS and it has a nice refreshing feel to it. Really cools down the face.

Linuxguile and tuxxdk like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Martin I absolutely love this AS recipe, it is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing it.

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. tuxxdk

Happy it could be of help! :)

9. bionut

bionut New Member

For the guys that couldn't find witch hazel in their country, try look for Hammamelis water in the health stores. That's how it is called here.

Sent from my A5_Easy_TM using Tapatalk

10. tuxxdk

Great tip! I did find it in danish shops now. Still much more worthwhile to order from the UK though.

11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I need to try this. I'll be picking up some shea butter tomorrow to try it.

RyX likes this.